my 1st ukeday

kaizersoza

Reaction score
today is my first ukeday, i have been playing the uke for one whole year and what a year it has been, i would just like to tell you all how this wonderful instrument has really changed my life for the better

I was ill last year with gall stones they were blocking some of my bile ducts in my liver, because of this i was taken into hospital twice with sceptisemia, jaundice and crippling stomach pains,

when i got out of the hospital the first time back last June, i kind of got bored being stuck at home, so i decided to learn an instrument and to cut a long story short opted to try the uke, my only regret is that i did not discover the uke a lot earlier in my life, these are some of the the things i have achieved since picking up my first uke

firstly i discovered UU and all you wonderful helpful people who i now consider friends, you have helped, advised, encouraged and taught me how to play the uke and i thank you all

secondly my home town did not have a ukulele club, so i decided to start my own, i met a like minded player on UU and we agreed to meet up and get a uke club off the ground, we meet every 2 weeks and we have around 60 members all told,

we have appeared in the local newspaper, we have our first gig in July and also in July we will be appearing in a video to play a piece written for the ukulele by a local singer/songwriter

i have also gone viral and uploaded a couple of vidz to you tube which i thought i would never have the bottle to do, my club have played in a local bar with regular drinkers singing along and giving us a round of applause after every song we sang and also filming us on their cell phones,

this time last year i would have never believed you if you had told me
i would be doing these things, i have had a great year since discovering the uke, its been a blast, i have made some really great friends both locally, nationally and across the world, so here's to the next year i look forward to being in your esteemed company and once again thank you all for being there

kaizersoza

Mahalo for sharing your story....nice always to hear good things with the ukulele....Yes continued success man!!
Yes a new path paved in your journey through life...ukuleles are priceless!!!

Last edited:
The ukulele opens doors. Broken ukes can be used as door stops to keep them open.

I don't know why that popped in my head, but congrats on a great experience with da uke!

Happy Uke Day! What a great story -- thank you for sharing it!

I like your story. I think it's high time we celebrate National Ukulele Day every year!

Congrats and a fantastic story. But it isn't a unique story. The little four stringed siren that we call the uke has amazing powers, doesn't it?

All I have to say is WOW, how inspiring. Happy Playing, D

Happy uke day! I feel the same way about the uke- I wish it had come to me earlier, but I'm so happy it's here now.

All the best to you, and happy strummings.

Happy ukeday. Very glad you are in better health and very glad you are part of the forum.

I'll raise a glass in hopes of many more!

Could it be called an ukeversary?

Last edited:
Happy Ukeversary! I like it! Great story!
-joe

I thought this was going to be yet another new uke day thread. Instead it turns out to be something completely inspirational. So what you're saying is that your uke club goes from zero to 60 in 1 year! For a uke club, that's supercar fast! :)

Great story and congrats on your accomplishments. Keep on keep'in on, spread the Aloha................BO...............

thank you all for your great replies 'ukeversary' sounds damn good to me as well, @ Plainsong the club is even faster than you think, we have gone from zero to 60 since February this year, I will admit that all 60 members do not turn up together, we usually have between 25 to 40 members turn up at any one time, we have 48 members just on our facebook page and not all our members use facebook anyway

thanx for taking the time guys

kaizer

Last edited:
Top Bottom