New Ukes Day

Ben_H

Reaction score
Well, I was expecting one on Thursday and one Friday but they both showed up yesterday which was twice as exciting! Apparently my four year old daughter told the second delivery man that we had already had one a didn't need any more thankyou! :D Fortunately he had his paperwork. I tried to post this last night but lost the thread while logging in again. Doh!

So, I have just received a Mainland red cedar soprano and a Moana UK300KDXG koa soprano. I had been planning to do a 400 mile round trip to attempt to see them both in their respective shops but when I discovered that both shops would mail them to me and allow me to return them if I was not happy (and I paid the postage) I thought I would prefer to spend the 8 hours drive time playing the ukes without rushing. The problem is that already I'm not sure if want to give either up. They are both beautiful in different ways and sound lovely.

Each has a couple of things I'm not 100% happy with but I was expecting that. Minor cosmetic niggles on the Mainland and gold tuners when I'm a silver man normally whilst the Moana has a poorly fitted fret, some rough edges and a couple places where the laqueuring is not so great. I've posteed a question about the fret in the technical support area of the forum and am rining the shop later to discuss. Unfortunately these are not made any more and it was already heavily discounted. I also will be returning the case I bought with it as it doesn't close properly I think this is down to a badly fitting hinge.

I'll post some photos later and will attempt to get initial reviews up over the weekend as these may help me clarify my own thinking.

It's going to be a busy weekend I think

Ben

Congrats Ben. Treat them both equal. We don't want any sibling jealousy!

Congrats! My Red Cedar Mainland is definitely my go-to uke. I even play it more than my Koaloha! It's a terrific instrument.

Congratulations. I hope these are just the first and second of many!

I'm also more of a silver guy, but I opted for gold tuners on my Mainland red cedar pineapple. I think they look good on that uke, personally. I don't think silver would look as nice. I actually think that is the only instrument I've ever owned with gold hardware. Anyone who has seen my hair will understand why I like silver better!

Congrats, Ben! I love my Mainland cedar pineapple. I hope you love yours just as much. I'd like to hear more about your Moana when you have more time in with it. There's not a lot of reviews about them around.

Top Bottom