PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day, the Wixom built "B&D Special"

808boy
06-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Aloha,
Received the uke I ordered from Willie Wixom on Feb. 03, 2012 today. The design is something I've thought about for a long time and now a reality thanks to Willie. I wanted something different than what we all normally see.
Will do a full review later when I have time..going to Honolulu tomorrow for a party and to visit family and friends and of course mmStan.
Anyway, pictures will have to do for now...................BO...........

luluwrites
06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Whoa! Now THAT is a customized uke.

Have fun at your party!

bdukes
06-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Congrats. Very unique. Like the fretboard. How's she play?

mm stan
06-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Da Bugga lookin' awesome and sounding great...yup I heard it to gang and his wood combination, indian rosewood and Mahogany top with ebony saddle and nut also the Southcoast Strings make it
a real singer...really nice sound.... Have a safe flight and see you soon....

808boy
06-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Aloha bdukes,
She plays and sounds wonderful........Mahalo for your comment. I WANTED uniqueness.....
Yeah Bruddah Stan, see you this weekend, will call you. We can do a Wixom duet,hehe.................BO...............

mm stan
06-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Whaaaa You still up....you get a flight tomorrow...hee hee can't wait to play your wixom....

Doc_J
06-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Bo, that is very cool. Great looking uke. Love the 808 in the headstock.

ksiegel
06-15-2012, 02:34 AM
That is a phenomenal instrument! Lover the headstock and the way the fretboard end and sound hole work!

Well, to be honest, I like everything about it.

Get some photos of your Wixom alongside Stan's!

Oh yeah - give Stan a hug from Carrie and from me!

-Kurt

Lexxy
06-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Holy smokes that is cool. Makes my custom look not so custom! Heh.

gokidd
06-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Congratulations, BO!
Way to go, Willie!!

ukuraleigh
06-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Stunning! You did a great job of building something unique and unquestionably custom.

Enjoy!

vanflynn
06-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Beautiful. If it sounds half as good as it looks, its a killer

dkcrown
06-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Very unique and interesting. That must have taken some thought. I bet Willie enjoyed building it. Talk about pushing the envelope!

GinnyT11
06-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Bo, that is a prize-winner! I'd like to see this alongside Stan's, and if you can, try to record something together!

I'm really happy for you! Congratulations!

KimosTherapy
06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Ho, Bruddah BO!

HO! Aloha Friday ... plus new uke day!!! Cannot get moah bettah den dat!!! CONGRATS on your new custom B & D Special Wixom uke!!! :cheers:Da buggah stay looking MEAN!!! I was thinking to myself, "What's da significance of da B & D???" .......... HO! Den da buggah wen hit me! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! Oh yeah, no? I remembah now! I get em now! Yups ... I get em! Right on, Brah! Awesome gesture fo represent something very important to you! Brah, you shua wen go put plenny kine thought into your unique design of your custom uke!

Gotta geeve some props(respect) to Uncle Willie fo his craftsmanship! Way to go Uncle Willie! :bowdown:

Cannot wait fo both you and Ahnko Stan fo get togeddah and jam your Wixom ukes dis weekend! Make shua wen you get time, no forget fo post one video sample of your B & D Special Wixom uke fo all of us hea on da UU! We all stay hanging on by a thread fo hear how she sounds!!!

Have a supah weekend!

kvehe
06-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Wow! That is one incredible uke! Beautiful! Congratulations!

808boy
06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Aloha Gang,
Mahalo for all your kind comments. I am proud of it and Willie was excited about my design ideas and could hardly wait to start on it. Before actually starting on it, there were numerous emails and phone calls to make sure he and I were on the same page. He's very accomodating to a certain degree.
As I said, a full review and sound sample to come later.
Gotta have Stan help me with Soundcloud........................BO.............. .........

mo9090x
06-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Super neat! Can't wait to see the more in depth review and hopefully more pics and vids of yours and MM Stans. Enjoy!

mds725
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
What a wonderful looking uke. Since it was you who helped me decide to buy my non-custom Wixom by playing it and raving about it, I hope this uke is as lovable soundwise as it is visually. Congrats! And yeah, a vide with Stan (who would have to wear a bag over his head to retain mystery man status) would be way cool.

Nickie
06-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Many congratulations! Wow, that is a beauty. Makes me all the more excited to get mine. Willie already has mine in about "stage 3". Mine won't be as unique as yours, but it will be something nobody else has!
Enjoy it in good health, and hug Stan for me!

Trinimon
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Congrats on the new uke! She's a one-of-a-kind for sure and she's a sexy beast! lol

whepper
06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow! That's what you call a custom! Excited to see a full review with specs! Some great and unconventional design choices. Willie really knows how to build these!! Congrats.

mm stan
06-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Aloha UU Gang,
Bruddah Bo is ova my house now, and wanted to share a sound sample of his new Wixom tenor with you all....
http://soundcloud.com/mmstan/sound-test-for-bruddah-bos

ksiegel
06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds great, Stan. Now - Do a comparison- Play them together!

And a photo of the two ukes together, of course - we need to preserve the Mystery that is MM Stan.

(g)

-Kurt

joekulele
06-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Very nice! Congratulations on your custom build. She's sure a looker!
-joe

csibona
06-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Congratulations - the ukulele is beautiful.

thiam
06-16-2012, 08:04 PM
One of a kind...it's beautiful.

mm stan
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Aloha UU Forum Gang,
Here are my thoughts and a mini review with Bruddah Bo's Wixom and mine... When I first saw Bruddah Bo's Wixom, It is stunning....his Indian rosewood and unstained mahogany top and design
justed popped...the color, grains and stridation of the rosewood is amazing and the subtle unstained mahogany beauty held up to the contrast of the rosewood... As for his design of his slotted
headstock and with his unigue B & D Carved top for his fiance and his initials... he has some of the rarest snakewood on the fretboard, headstock veneer and bridge.. Knowing that the rosewood
would be on the bright side because os the smaller ukulele body, he went with ebony saddle and nut which balanced it out perfectly and kept it a balanced tone with just enough richness and crispness.
As for strings, Bo choose his favorites....SouthCoast from Dirk which is the cherry on the top...they are perfect and sound so good that I too now am going to put them on my wixom Concert...I currently have Martin M600 on mine .. You know to be honest, my concert wixom sounds great, but since Bruddah Bo's is a tenor, it had a hint more volume and richness than mine I attribute to the
size difference....Now I will need a Tenor too...I am still designing my tenor wixom and this comparison has even helped me further to know what I really want now..Yes we were two happy friends
enjoying our new wixoms today and each others company.. A Hui Ho!!!

consitter
06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Aloha UU Forum Gang,
Here are my thoughts and a mini review with Bruddah Bo's Wixom and mine... When I first saw Bruddah Bo's Wixom, It is stunning....his Indian rosewood and unstained mahogany top and design
justed popped...the color, grains and stridation of the rosewood is amazing and the subtle unstained mahogany beauty held up to the contrast of the rosewood... As for his design of his slotted
headstock and with his unigue B & D Carved top for his fiance and his initials... he has some of the rarest snakewood on the fretboard, headstock veneer and bridge.. Knowing that the rosewood
would be on the bright side because os the smaller ukulele body, he went with ebony saddle and nut which balanced it out perfectly and kept it a balanced tone with just enough richness and crispness.
As for strings, Bo choose his favorites....SouthCoast from Dirk which is the cherry on the top...they are perfect and sound so good that I too now am going to put them on my wixom Concert...I currently have Martin M600 on mine .. You know to be honest, my concert wixom sounds great, but since Bruddah Bo's is a tenor, it had a hint more volume and richness than mine I attribute to the
size difference....Now I will need a Tenor too...I am still designing my tenor wixom and this comparison has even helped me further to know what I really want now..Yes we were two happy friends

I wish I could have been there! I would have really enjoyed watching/listening to two great friends playing their ukuleles in comraderie.

808boy
06-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Mahalo Buddha Stan,
Had a blast with you and thanks for helping me with a sound sample.
Big time mahalo for your personal review of my uke.
Your Wixom concert sounds as good as my Maui music and that's saying a lot as you know how many I have and the makes and models of them.
Will do a review of your Wixom concert when I return to Maui.
So happy you like my design and features of my uke.
Big mahaloz to my uu ohana for all your kind comments.
Aloha nui...............Bo..............

arpie
06-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Wow Bo!! What an amazing instrument!! Can't wait to hear a sample! That design is just incredible - a real work of art! Love your initials!!

cheers

Roberta

808boy
06-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Aloha Roberta,
Sound sample by mm stan, post 23 this thread.
Haven't played in about a month and I am so rusty.
Thanks for your kind words...................Bo.....................

mds725
06-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Aloha UU Forum Gang,

My koa Wixom tenor and I are totally jealous. Totally.

Dan Uke
06-17-2012, 07:11 AM
It's always good to get a new uke!!! Your playing of E Ku'u Morning Dew is nice. Congrats

Markr1
06-17-2012, 07:30 AM
That is one beautiful uke Bo. Congratulations. I'm jealous And you got to spend some time with Stan. What a great day.

808boy
06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Aloha nongdam,
Mahalo for your comment, I have not played for awhile and I am so rusty. Hope to do better next time.
Mds...playing the Wixom you bought and others there enticed me to order one. Luckily Willie agreed to collaborate with me to build to my design specs.
Mark, thank you for your kind comment, and yes every visit with Bruddah Stan is fun.
Big mahaloz to all................Bo..................

1937Scott
06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow!

Gorgeous! I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I'm looking forward to review and videos...

Pippin
06-17-2012, 08:34 PM
What a beautiful uke. It really turned out to be a unique look and blend of woods. Very nice.