Good Ukulele books?

JSD1985

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I bought a Lanikai LU-11 Ukulele, which will be delivered this week. I really want to learn some nice Hawaiian songs for the Ukulele. Does anyone know any good Ukulele songbooks?

I found these 2 but I don't know if they are very good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Play-...1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339754465&sr=1-13#_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Famous-Solos-Duets-Ukulele-Presents/dp/0786669152/ref=pd_sim_b_8

Anyone has experience with these books? What are other good Hawaiian Ukulele books?

I'm searching for books that include TAB notation, so no strumming cords.

Greetz,
Jeroen

I own both books and they are excellent. I would not consider them beginners books. With some time, there are some approachable pieces for beginers in each book. John King's book/cd has some sweet Ernest Ka'ai pieces that I love playing and would highly recommend. Mark Nelson's book/cd is an outstanding primer for fingerstyle ukulele playing. Both are well worth having.

books

Hi there,

Well, I play guitar for about 7 years or so.
I never really played Ukulele, but with my experience as guitar player, I can't believe it is hard.

I think these are good books to start with.

Does the CD's include backing tracks to play along?

Greetz,
Jeroen

If you are brand new to ukes, I believe "Ukuleles for Dummies" is the new "standard" for beginners. Has info you'd have to get at least half a dozen other books to learn.

If you have played guitar for that long these books should be very approachable for you. The cd includes tracks of all of pieces in the book.

Hi there,
Well, I play guitar for about 7 years or so.
I never really played Ukulele, but with my experience as guitar player, I can't believe it is hard.

I think these are good books to start with.

Does the CD's include backing tracks to play along?

Greetz,
Jeroen

I have John King's Famous Ukulele Solos and Duets, and I like it very much. The CD has performances of all the songs. Musical notation and tabs are included. There are a couple of pieces where the duet is between ukulele and guitar.

–Lori

please feel free to click on my MP3 link, then look for ( rohiguchi (at) gmail ), click
on that and look for links to Hawaiian music folders.

The pdfs will provide you with the song sheets and the MP3s will be the sound sample :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom