Ukulele market crashes in England. Where next?

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
I'm predicting the kazoo craze has reached the peak of its bubble and will be the next instrument market crash. ;)

I did get s chuckle reading that. That site must be similar to The Onion over here....

All forms of saxophone, I'm looking in your direction. Hey, let me have my dreams! :)

There was some site or other that took that article seriously. I wish I remembered where...

There was some site or other that took that article seriously. I wish I remembered where...
Here, maybe? Some people really seemed to be buying into it at first. :p

www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65312-Has-the-uke-bubble-burst-in-the-UK

"Launched in April 2007, the Daily Mash is a satirical website covering national and international news with spoof stories, commentary and opinion. (i.e. it’s all made-up and is not intended, in any way whatsoever, to be taken as factual. Hello lawyers.)"

I think the Stilophone will be the next rise and fall. It's never had a proper wave of trendiness, in spite all of Rolf Harris' attempts.

Well, when it comes to it what I really enjoy about the ukulele is that I can play it and enjoy the music, and learn more and more and sometimes play with wonderful musicians. I never longed to know that everyone in the world was also playing the ukulele. Kind of like tattoos. Gets boring when everyone has one. Rah, rah, rah is for summer camps. There are other musical venues. Buyer beware. Warren Buffet, who plays the uke, advises that one never invest in things one doesn't understand. Fads are fads but beauty persists. Ars longa, vita brevis. Those who love the ukes should buy what's available. I pity the poor music shop that over invested but not the guy who bought the instrument for its speculative value rather than its everyday enjoyment.

Last edited:
That's what the ukulele market gets for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Ooooo, I fist-bump you for that one. ;)
Uhmmm, not that there's anything *wrong* with that side of the road. But did the ukulele market think about the consequences before hand? And what about the children?

Please tell me there isn't a single person in this thread that doesn't understand that The Daily Mash is a spoof site.

Was just thinking the same Kahuna....!

When this was published there was an awful lot on Twitter taking it seriously

Yeah - but the article was a spoof, nothing genuine in it... in other words, don't believe a word of it! :D

(Didn't see the latest posts before I chimed in with that..... but just to add to the protests!)

Last edited:
I like that the other headlines are "Greeks apologize with huge horse," and "'Bully' not the same as 'twat,' celebrities are told." accompanies by a picture of justin bieber.

If you want to laugh until you're sick, read through these by someone I know on Twitter.

http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/

Texts between him & his dog.

<edit> I suppose I ought to insert a "WARNING: Contains the odd sweary word, which everyone has heard innumerable times, but which nevertheless manages to offend some people out of all proportion"

Last edited:
If you want to laugh until you're sick, read through these by someone I know on Twitter.

http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/

Texts between him & his dog.

<edit> I suppose I ought to insert a "WARNING: Contains the odd sweary word, which everyone has heard innumerable times, but which nevertheless manages to offend some people out of all proportion"

I LOVE texts from dog!

Please tell me there isn't a single person in this thread that doesn't understand that The Daily Mash is a spoof site.
It got me for the first few sentences....pretty funny.

I thought this was hilarious: “First, the number of ukulele players in the UK now far exceeds the demand for ukulele recitals, which despite being exaggerated by enthusiasts and Frank Skinner, is almost non-existent.

I never hear of the daily mash before, I'll have to bookmark it.

Last edited:
Ha ha,
You've all missed this little gem:
Tom Logan, musical instrument market analyst at Donnelly-McPartlin, said: “All the conditions were right for a perfect ukulele storm

I love Ant & Dec too................:D :D

Hahahahaha
It´s So obviously a spoof I can´t believe anybody would read it as otherwise!
Great article!!
Thanks for the link.
Cheers
Gary

I think it's real. The bubble will deflate, rather than burst, in 2013. This, the third wave of ukulele popularity, will be over in late 2014.

Top Bottom