Challenges of Building a Baritone

luluwrites

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this question.

Is building a baritone any more or less challenging than building a tenor ukulele?

If you were a buyer, would you be concerned about purchasing a luthier's first baritone? Assume he has a good track record with other ukuleles. (Of course, it would be ideal to play the instrument first, but that's not an option.)

Last edited:
If the luthier has knowledge of ukes, I see no reason why a baritone would less or more challenging to build than any other uke. If they don't offer a money back guarantee, don't buy it.

No more challenging than a tenor at all. Especially if they have also built guitars as it sits nicely between a parlour guitar and a ukulele.

Speaking here as a builder and not a buyer. If your intention is to commission an instrument, then first off there needs to be a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied within a few days of receiving the instrument. I would expect that you would pay shipping one way though. And a builder that doesn't offer that is only hurting his own reputation, as no one would want an unhappy customer telling their sad story.

As well, do not go for any heavily customised instrument as these are a personal thing that limit its saleability on to another should you feel it's not to your liking.

Top Bottom