Gotoh modified tuners
Weight: 600g

Uniqueness:
Huge soundhole
Lattice bracing
Target water based lacquer (Stew Mac)
Zero Fret
Lower bout: 9.75"

Why did I go with LFDM? I wanted more of a mini-guitar sound and he has great reviews by several UU members. He also had one being made for the Montreal Guitar Show so I did not have to wait as long. He was going to let me have it after the MGS but he was afraid it could get nicked up so he sent it as soon as it was finished. What a nice guy!

His craftmenship is superb and I like the fact that the uke is shiny and smooth. Takes lots of time sanding and pore filling and I like his binding and rosette and even the slight WBW lines on the side of the fret board is unique. I particularly like the look of the colors before adding the makore vaneer to the slotted headstock

There's lots of people who say it is (lattice vs. fan) overbraced but I'm not a luthier so I'll leave it up to the experts but it has lots of overtones and is really, really loud. Also, water based lacquer takes a long time to harden so I gotta be a little careful but not too concerned since I don't gig. Adding a few scratches and dings won't bother me. Besides, it's only a uke and not a work of art!!

How does it sound? I just put on Savarez Alliance yesterday so need it to settle in but sounds good. I will do a sound sample later. ALL NEW UKES SOUNDS GOOD!!

Would I have changed anything? I wonder if I should have gone for the waverly tuners w/ ebony knobs as I like the look of ebony. Actually, I like pegheds as 16:1 gear ratio is overkill for me but pegheds don't look good on slotted.

The one thing I do miss is the complete experience with the luthier. I purchased this one after he made the body so I had say on the neck up which was sill good and Luis is very nice and engaging. One of the most enjoyable parts I had with Brad Donaldson and which is why his uke is special in that it was completely our design and he makes a killer sounding uke. However, I have little patience so that's why I also went with Luis since I wouldn't have to wait as long...Catch 22!!!

Anyways, don't want to make it too long as it's just my initial thoughts.

LFDM (1).jpgLFDM (2).jpgLFDM (3).jpgLFDM (4).jpgLFDM (5).jpg

Last edited:
Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

CONGRATS on your new LFdM uke!!!:cheers: Can't wait for your review and video sample!

Nice grab. Looks well made. How's it feel?

Thanks guys and glad to join the LFDM club. It feels solid and I like the slightly larger frets he uses as it allows him to crown it so it's more like a semi-circle. This makes it really easy to slide and needs less pressure to get a clear tone.

Glad you're liking it so far! I love mine!

I really like the wood and green color purfling on the body and slotted head.

Waiting for your sound sample. :)

Congrats Daniel. I'm sure that those Savarez strings will sound great on it. Looking forward to one of your sound clips on it.

Thanks Dana

You steered me towards the Savarez and I couldn't be happier. Of course, I am always curious on how other strings sounds so will eventually try some diff't strings as these age.

Hi Daniel!!!! Woahhhhh you receive your LFDM uke!!!! Well I hope you like it....but one thing I'm sure is that it definitely looks awesome and .....of course the sound is sublime just as I expect an uke from him!!!!

From your clip, your uke has the same kind of tone as mine......maybe mine sound a little bit warmer since I have a cedar top combine with rosewood for back and sides.......

I'm not surprise that you're finding that the uke is loud....since all LFDM uke sounds like a ton of bricks!!!!

Anyway, welcome to the LFDM uke club owner and hope you like it!!!!!! I guess you know that I love mine!!!!!! :)

lovely uke Daniel and sweet, sensitive playing mate. Congratulations on a stunning instrument.

Thanks Jon, I really like it

Bao, the strings are still stretching so it'll sound warmer as time passes. I might try the Southcoast or try the Pro Arte next as it's a Savarez Corum squeeks a little too much.

I know it's not a big deal in Canada but in U.S., it's a little bit more difficult to get to get Cuban Mahogany and Luis said he picked it up from his several trips there.

Thanks Jon, I really like it

Bao, the strings are still stretching so it'll sound warmer as time passes. I might try the Southcoast or try the Pro Arte next as it's a Savarez Corum squeeks a little too much.

I know it's not a big deal in Canada but in U.S., it's a little bit more difficult to get to get Cuban Mahogany and Luis said he picked it up from his several trips there.

Hi Dan! Luis aways look for exotic and precious wood wherever he goes!!!! Last year at the Montreal Guitar Show, I helped him to bring a huge batch of exotic woods that he bought from a guy at the show....its just crazy how heavy it was to bring all this to his hotel!!!!!

Also, I dont strung my uke with Savarez since I just like much the feel but do like the tone.

Congrats on your uke once again..... I have to drop by at the guitar show this year to try the other uke that he build for the show that is quite similar to yours.

I might try the Southcoast or try the Pro Arte next as it's a Savarez Corum squeeks a little too much.

I haven't tried Pro Arte's on mine but I do currently have it strung with T2s. I think the T2s are a little too dull for it, and in my experience, Pro Artes are a little duller than T2s. I have tried Savarez, Oasis, Worth, and T2s and, thus far, my favorite have been the Worths with the Oasis and Savarez close behind.

I haven't tried Pro Arte's on mine but I do currently have it strung with T2s. I think the T2s are a little too dull for it, and in my experience, Pro Artes are a little duller than T2s. I have tried Savarez, Oasis, Worth, and T2s and, thus far, my favorite have been the Worths with the Oasis and Savarez close behind.

Thank for trying a lot of difft strings on the LFdM. Our tops are difft and our tastes could be difft as well but I will get some Worth clears. I have some other Tenors that I could try them with so never hurts to buy more strings! Does anyone know when Elderly will have their next sale?

Our tops are difft and our tastes could be difft as well

True...maybe the brightness of the spruce top will balance out the T2s. Try them out let me know what you think!

By the way, I got the email from Luis about the video...I'm out of Worth Clears and, as I said, found the T2s to be a bit dull on mine...I did have some Savarez strings though so I just restrung her and I'll be making the video with those. Using 541Rs for the G and A, 543R for the C, and 542R for the E. I definitely like these more than the T2s.

Top Bottom