Hand Side Bender- Chinese w digital temp control-Anyone use one?

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Last edited:
made in china. no thanks

hahah- well, they have done ok for a few thousand years. I've been hand bending Tasmanian blackwood at .080" with the Metroplitan Music/Stew Mac Bender (http://www.metmusic.com/tools/ibex-luthier-tools/) and i think it sucks. It is possible there is some strangeness happening as i brought the 220V version when back in Australia and brought it over to the US with me. The metal thing you push against is set into/upon foam which wobbles loose after 1min of exerting your will onto the wood. Also, I find that the large curve is not large enough and the small curve to pointy, but i am a blunt instrument myself sometimes...:eek:

Last edited:
I've got the StewMac one, and as you said, it's got it's bad points. Learnt to live with it, and it's had some heavy use since I got it.

I only use the iron for touch ups now and one off bends for prototypes etc. As well students always get a go on the iron to get a feel for what's going on. However everything else gets the silicone heat blanket and a solid form.

I've got the StewMac one, and as you said, it's got it's bad points. Learnt to live with it, and it's had some heavy use since I got it.

I only use the iron for touch ups now and one off bends for prototypes etc. As well students always get a go on the iron to get a feel for what's going on. However everything else gets the silicone heat blanket and a solid form.

Your the first person i've 'spoken to' that uses heat blankets in Australia. Back at Gilet GUitars, we had a fox bender with 6 100watt globes which did the trick for decades. II'll be going the blanket way soon though

Must have not got around much then, 'cause I don't know anyone that doesn't use them.

Since you're an expat you might want to check out the ANZLF if you haven't already. Refreshing and to the point the way Aussies tend to be.

Must have not got around much then, 'cause I don't know anyone that doesn't use them.

Since you're an expat you might want to check out the ANZLF if you haven't already. Refreshing and to the point the way Aussies tend to be.

Thanks for the link Allen- I'd briefly seen that when we were launching the Gilet book not never got into the forum. Yer- im behind the times with bending sides- time to buy a blanket-
PS-Do you know Cloud Guitars. I think they are in Cairns??? Owned by a Scottish guy that learned at Gilet

Well...the price is more reasonable than the usual Ibex model anyway. I'll stick with my home made cheapie though

Thanks for the link Allen- I'd briefly seen that when we were launching the Gilet book not never got into the forum. Yer- im behind the times with bending sides- time to buy a blanket-
PS-Do you know Cloud Guitars. I think they are in Cairns??? Owned by a Scottish guy that learned at Gilet

He sold the business a year or so ago, and I've never heard a thing from or about the new people.

Some funky stuff from that ebay seller. I am going to try and get him to ship to the UK because I just lorv that coloured celluloid binding for my retro resonator ukulele!

I've ordered from them and haven't had a problem. The postage was a little steep compared to other places I've used, but still a bargain.

Top Bottom