How/where to place humidifiers

drewp

Reaction score
Hi all, I did search this topic and I understand when and if humidification is needed. I will most likely need it during the dry winter, but am fine now. I want to take care of my newly acquired KoAloha tenor. Here's my questions: I have a very form fitting/tight "Uke Crazy" case. I recently purchased: a hygrometer (small size to fit into case), a case humidifier, and sound hole humidifier. Can I add too much humidity? Where on the uke are the areas where dryness raises it's ugly head? Cracks in the body? Warping neck? I was going to place one humidifier up by the neck (I have a small space in the case there), one in the sound hole And then I thought I'd try to place the hygrometer over/near the sound hole. With the case fitting so tight, I imagine that the humidity isn't the same throughout the whole case. It may seem like I'm splitting hairs...but I want to do the right thing. No, I don't want to build or purchase a humidified cabinet to place the uke in, but I would consider another case if need be (for storage). Thanks

A lot depends on the humidity in your house, it's often quite different from that outdoors. But if you live in a humid area it's usually better than an arid one. Here in the high desert we have quite low humidity in the summer as well as the winter from running forced air heating and air conditioning. With your hygrometer it's easy to keep tabs on what going on in the case, and as far as placement goes from what I understand it's not all that critical. A lot of people keep their humidifiers in the accessory box in the case and even with he door closed the humidity equalizes in the case. So I think you'll be safe with your plan, just watch you hygrometer once a week or so and try to keep it between 40-60%.

A lot depends on the humidity in your house, it's often quite different from that outdoors. But if you live in a humid area it's usually better than an arid one. Here in the high desert we have quite low humidity in the summer as well as the winter from running forced air heating and air conditioning. With your hygrometer it's easy to keep tabs on what going on in the case, and as far as placement goes from what I understand it's not all that critical. A lot of people keep their humidifiers in the accessory box in the case and even with he door closed the humidity equalizes in the case. So I think you'll be safe with your plan, just watch you hygrometer once a week or so and try to keep it between 40-60%.

I agree with kenikas. :agree:

I too must humidify from Nov-March even in usually humid Atlanta. Heating causes RH to drop below 40%. I use home made humidifiers from old medicine bottles containing humidifier gel crystals, one per case. Never had a problem yet.

Top Bottom