Twas a nice Ukulele day.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Yes, it is father's day, but it is also a great opertunity for a nice Uke day. I lost my Dad a few years ago, and still cry for him every now and then. He was an awesome dude. Not only my Dad, but my best friend. Everyone that met him, soon fell in love with him. He had a huge love of music, and would sit by the old console HiFi for hours on end after a long hard day at work when I was a kid. He loved to sing, and loved to listen to me play guitar when I was a kid. In his golden years, he would sit by an old boom box we bought him years ago to replace the old ailing console HiFi all day and all night listening to old gospel music. He never could play an instrument, but always supported me in mine. But, he did love to sing. Today, I spent some time sitting in a garden in our local area, where we have a memory brick laid in the cobblestone path in that garden, inscribed in it, is "In memory of Roy Riley Huguley, Husband, Dad, and a Friend"... I took Mom and we sat at his brick for some time, and I played on a Uke for Dad, Mom and my daughter sang for him. We had a very peaceful, and awesome time, and could hear Dad humming along through the trees. We felt him smiling all over us today, and we played for him. I miss Dad, but, even though I could not hug him today, he knows... He knows... :)

Very touching Tudorp. I am lucky to have both parents with me still. I once heard it said that we call kids without parents orphans; yet no matter what age we are when we lose them we become orphans, too. Your story reminded me of that. Sorry for your loss, but I am glad you had a dad like him.

Thanks, I was very fortunate growing up, if not with monitary things, and the stuff money could buy, I never wanted or needed for a more loving Mom & Dad. I was rich with all the good stuff Money couldn't touch. Dad was one of those guys that everyone loved. He left a bigger mark than he ever knew. Sure, we miss him, but he died 5 years ago now, and as morbid and weird as it sounds, it was the perfect end to an awesome old dude. He passed with my Mom holding his hand, and me and my oldest sister by each side of his head, and his grand daughter at his feet. He passed away peacefully with a huge happy smile on his face. He was singing as he took his last breath. One thing I will never forget was his last few words. He had his eyes closed all that day with grin on his face. He opened his eyes minutes before he left us. Looked at Mom, and then at me, and said, "It's beautiful... Can you hear it? Can you hear the singing?" Then he closed his eyes, and started quietly singing under his breath with what he heard... A minute or so later, he took his last breath, with the biggest smile on his face.. Who could ask for a more peaceful end. Was sad, and we cried, but it was actually a beautiful thing. But, that was just how my Dad lived, and how he died. He was an awesome, kind hearted soul. Spend as much time with yours as you possibly can brudda.

Glad you had a great day. We lost my Daddy in 1980... life just hasn't been the same since...

wow... this made me cry... very touching....

Very nice story Tudorp. I am also very lucky to have both parents and my dad was responsible for me learning to play music. He loved Gene Krupa and wanted to be a drummer so he bought me a kit and had me take lessons. I truly appreciate that to this day! Yesterday I took my uke to my parents house and we all sang songs and laughed and smiled. It was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Your dad knows how much you love him.

Dad.jpg

The root of my love for music...

Top Bottom