19th season of the Ukulele

myrnaukelele

Reaction score

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT
Learn and sing a River song. This can be about a particular river or a river in general. I suppose even a metaphorical river would work. But somewhere in the song a reference must be made to a river.

PARAMETERS:
* your song must be about and/ or mention a river in it somewhere
* ukulele front and center
* state in your clip that the recording is for the "19th season of ukulele"
* multiple versions of the same song are OK * one take, no overdubs

LINKS TO SOME GOOD RIVER SONGS:
http://www.poemhunter.com/songs/river/
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAC05D7C64C61568
http://blog.nature.org/2010/02/top-ten-river-song-list/

JUDGING:
This week there is a twist. There will be NO judging. For this week only each entry gets their name put in the hat. Even if bonus tracks are submitted (and I love bonus tracks :) ) the entrants name will be entered only once. Duets will get the name of the duet group entered - each entry = one name in the hat.

At the end of the week 3 names will be drawn from the hat - I will make a video of the drawing. The three names drawn will be the winners of the 19th Season.

DEADLINE: 11:59 PM HAWAII TIME, SUNDAY JULY 1st.

PRIZES:
1ST PLACE: The Ukulele: a Visual History by Jim Beloff. A beautiful uke book.
2ND PLACE: A copy of A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean.
3RD PLACE: An audio CD of Johnny Rivers Greatest Hits

Playlist for the 19th season is here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9CA2236C9CAC23E0

So there you have it. A River Runs Through It. Have fun playing a River song for the 19th Season of the Ukulele.

Last edited:
We could do this, if that's ok for everyone :smileybounce:
Oh thanks Ukelites for volunteering to host the 20th Season! Looking forward to it. It's so fun that the Seasons contests have just continued on. I'm curious to see how long we can keep it going - perhaps for the whole 52 weeks???

And I nominate myself for week 21, July 8-14..

And I nominate myself for week 21, July 8-14..

Peewee, I'm secretly glad you picked up week 21. I was going to put myself out there to host week 21 based on an idea Ralf and I came up with, though I move the day that week starts and probably won't even have internet access for a day or two there. So good on you my friend, I look forward to your challenge. I will host a week sometime in the near future once this darn move is over and done with. Viva la seasons!

okay thanks myrna for updating the contest details mmm, a river song??
That river looks pretty much like the ones round where I live right now

You might want to have an extra rule that J-Peg, Wee Ginga Yin, and I can't repeat the river songs we played during the Earth Day (10th Season) contest. :) Even so, I've already got three songs that I want to do.

Great theme Myrna, and thanks for hosting this week. I know exactly the song I will do if have the time. Also, nice twist this week.

You might want to have an extra rule that J-Peg, Wee Ginga Yin, and I can't repeat the river songs we played during the Earth Day (10th Season) contest. :) Even so, I've already got three songs that I want to do.

Great theme Myrna, and thanks for hosting this week. I know exactly the song I will do if have the time. Also, nice twist this week.

Uke4ia and ukuleledaddy - There are some great river songs out there - looking forward to hearing your entries. And as for picking the winners out of a hat...the judging has to be the hardest part of this contest. There are always so many wonderful entries. This way each entry has the same chance of winning.:eek:

Oh Myrna, what a great idea! I will be gone for most of the week, but I assure you I will practicing a tune to sing from the middle of my local watershed, the Russian River. So excited for this week!

Superb idea, Myrna! I guess we have a song, but we'll check out the suggestions in the links. :cheers:

So Donna and I could do "The River is Wide" again? :)

So Donna and I could do "The River is Wide" again? :)

But there's no way you could improve on that performance - you two sang it just perfectly the first time :)
There are so many good river songs out there waiting for a ukulele player to come along and play them - new songs encouraged!

Sorry I missed out on last week, the person I was going to sing with [the wife] reneged , and then I had to take an unexpected trip. Great theme Myrna, so many great river songs, I should be in for this week. And I have a real chance at this one, luck of the draw.

Oh Myrna, what a great idea! I will be gone for most of the week, but I assure you I will practicing a tune to sing from the middle of my local watershed, the Russian River. So excited for this week!

TCK, you live near the Russian River? My dad lives in Monte Rio. I love that area.

Top Bottom