Recommendations for a 6-string Uke

bchagnon

Reaction score
:anyone:
Looking for any recommendations for a 6-string tenor uke under $500.

A buddy of mine bought a 6-string Kala and I absolutely loved it and now I've gotta get one of my own.

I'd prefer to stay under $350, but would go up to $500 if I found the right one. I was looking for something other than Lanakai and Kala, but those seem to be the best options for that price range. Any input from anyone on the forum?

Thanks Everyone!

Looking for any recommendations for a 6-string tenor uke under $500.

A buddy of mine bought a 6-string Kala and I absolutely loved it and now I've gotta get one of my own.

I'd prefer to stay under $350, but would go up to $500 if I found the right one. I was looking for something other than Lanakai and Kala, but those seem to be the best options for that price range. Any input from anyone on the forum?

Thanks Everyone!

Closer to your max, but I'd recommend Mele. I've owned three of them.
www.meleukulele.com

Ohana makes a six string tenor for about $300.00, not sure how that compares to the Kala, but overall Ohana's have a good reputation. Mele makes several six string ukuleles, and sound very nice. I have not had the chance to play either of these, though. The Mele is over $500.00, but you could look for a used one. I did get the chance to pay a six string KoAloha about a year ago, and was very impressed. I think it went for about $800.00, if you could find one of those used for about $500.00, I think you'd be very happy with it.

I am actually having a six string baritone made in Tijuana by a luthier named Luis Sevillano, and I am sure he could make a six string tenor for under $500.00 from whatever wood you want. I played one of his four string tenor ukuleles the other day and liked it a lot. But, he has no website, and you would basically have to work it out with him. I can get you his contact info if you are interested. I see you are in Mass., so not that convenient of an option, but still worth mentioning if you ever do get out to southern CA.

For a new uke I would go with an Ohana.
If you can find a used "K" brand in your price range you will get more uke.
Six strings are not as popular as four strings so sometimes the prices on the used market are a surprise.

I have always wanted to try a Kala six string. I've played a few of the lanikai ones and Oscar Schmidt ones with no success in liking them. I didn't know ohana made one. I did get to play an ohana 5 string the other day. Similar to 6 string. When it comes to 6 string I have to recommend quality. Don't know why but cheaper 6 strings sound like crap, while cheaper 8 strings were pretty decent.

Top Bottom