UAS is hitting me pretty hard right now. Looking for Sub-Soprano size

aehalt

Reaction score
any recommendations? I would prefer something hand crafted for a reasonable price. It would be a uke that i take around with me in my book bag at pharmacy school this fall. Therefore, preferably something that is within a disposable budget amount.

It doesn't have to be solid wood(although I bet that's all i'lll be able to find) since those prices will run a little higher than a laminate or something of that nature. Does anyone know of a brand that retails in the 100's that fits this description? I remember reading someone on here had a wait list for custom sopranino size ukes and I let it escape my grasp.

And as always, any negative feedback to supress this UAS is also appreciated.

We've got the new Moku line of ukuleles which are really nicely constructed and at a very reasonable price. You could also consider an Ohana or Eddy Finn. Just a few ideas for you.

Scott

I've got a wonderful Moku in sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides soprano size. But the OP wants a sub-soprano size and I don't think Moku makes that size available.

Do you want a sub-soprano because of the scale length, or just because it would be portable? For portability, you might want to check out the Solid RISA sticks, they're pretty portable, but they're electric, so you couldn't play for an audience.

Hi -

As a pharmacy student you need to know that there is no antidote for UAS. (Well, maybe naltrexone or baclofen would work. Someone should conduct a randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trial!!) Trust me, I'm a pharmacist and I'm one of the most severely infected members of the UU. :D:D:D

Kathryn

I think you'll have a hard time finding something both "hand crafted" and "affordable"

That said, consider a KPK. They're solid acacia, very reasonably priced, and have had some very good reviews from UU members lately.

only sopranino in your price range are the Ohana SK21's. awesome little ukes. GET ONE!!!

If you're willing to spend more dollars then the Kala Pocket ukes are an option for you...personally I refer the sound and appearance of the Ohana's.

Some luthiers will build you a custom sized sopranino; the two that readily come to mind are Duane Heilman of Black Bear Ukes and Donna and Augie LoPrinzi of LoPrinzi ukes. These models are around the $400 mark though, but well worth spending the cash if you're really into that scale length.

Have fun shopping whatever you decide!

The standard Mele mahogany soprano is around $200, solid wood, and very well made.

And, even though it's a soprano size, it is very small. It just about fits in the case for the Ohana SK21 (I kid you not).

Sub soprano as in piccolo sized?

Just got an Ohana SK21 and I love the little guy! Wonderful rich sound from such a tiny body. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom