Hawaiian music field recordings?

DallasOz

Reaction score
I am trying to track down some field recordings of traditional Hawaiian music. A google search has only turned up one album 'Auhea Oe E Sanoe'-field recordings of Hawaiian slack key guitar'. I also cant see anything in the Lomax collection.
Over the years I have worked with a few guys who were instrumental in collecting traditional songs and tunes from the last generation of Australian bush musicians who had a direct link to 'the old days and the old ways'. I am always fascinated by how different it sounds to the 'modern-traditional' Australian bush music.
If anyone knows of any Hawaiian field recordings of traditional music that I can buy it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dallas

I am trying to track down some field recordings of traditional Hawaiian music.
If anyone knows of any Hawaiian field recordings of traditional music that I can buy it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dallas

I'd recommend "Na Leo Hawai'i Kahiko: The Master Chanters of Hawai'i, Songs of Old Hawaii." It's a compilation put out by the Bishop Museum and distributed by Mountain Apple. It includes some of the field recordings that Helen Roberts made in Hawai'i in the early 20s, as well as some early examples of recorded hula kui music.
There are also modern examples of chant: one of my favorites is "Kalakaua" by Kulia i ka Punawai, which is a collection of chants performed for Kim David Kalakaua's birthday jubilee in 1886.

Hey Jim, that's fantastic! Sounds like it could be the sort of thing I'm after. Thanks very much
Quick update- I rushed off to have a look at Mountain Apple. I had never heard of them before but wow! what a great little company...I can feel my wallet getting lighter already!

Last edited:
Top Bottom