PDA

View Full Version : LIVING WATER STRINGS - new range of uke strings

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 07:24 AM
I have just introduced a new range of fluorocarbon ukulele strings. This is my own brand. They are clear, very strong and are made from pure fluorocarbon. In my opinion they have a pure tone. They're called Living Water Strings.

I am very pleased with them and have worked for a long time to get them on the market. I will, of course, be posting some more videos using them.

At the moment there are 4 different sets: soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. All, including the baritone set, are for re-entrant (high 4th string) tuning.

If you would like to find out more about them or get your hands on some, they are available from my website (see below) at introductory prices.

Here are a couple of videos that I have already posted where I am using the new strings. There are several more on my YT channel.

He Was A Friend Of Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JvlJ6GtPYE&feature=colike)

I'll Fly Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0WzcE-hvA&feature=colike)

Thanks.

Barbablanca
06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Just ordered a set for my Concert. Look forward to trying them out.

If you are into sending out samples to dealers, I would recommend sending some to Xoan at http://ukecosas.es/es/ - He is the leading Uke dealer in Spain's burgeoning market. If he likes them he'll promote them on his website and use them in his gigs and Uke trade fairs etc. He's a great chap, but speaks little English. - Berni (Barbablanca)

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Just ordered a set for my Concert. Look forward to trying them out.

If you are into sending out samples to dealers, I would recommend sending some to Xoan at http://ukecosas.es/es/ - He is the leading Uke dealer in Spain's burgeoning market. If he likes them he'll promote them on his website and use them in his gigs and Uke trade fairs etc. He's a great chap, but speaks little English. - Berni (Barbablanca)

Thanks Berni. I know Choan quite well. He is a really nice guy.

Barbablanca
06-20-2012, 08:36 AM
He is indeed. Like yourself he is trying to turn a passion into a business. Those are sentiments that I feel deserve all our support :o

Do you know Choan from here? Or from trade fairs, or what? Does he already stock your strings?

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
He is indeed. Like yourself he is trying to turn a passion into a business. Those are sentiments that I feel deserve all our support :o

Do you know Choan from here? Or from trade fairs, or what? Does he already stock your strings?

My strings are brand new. No, Choan is one of our (Ohana's) main dealers.

Mandarb
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info.

Barbablanca
06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Ah, OK. As a relative newcomer here, I was not aware of your Ohana connection.

Like many locals, Choan may well be a closet English speaker, but as he knows I speak Catalan we normally converse in that tongue. Hmm, I haven't seen him for a wee while. This exchange of ours has given me "ganas" to see him again soon. Inspired by you, I might ask him to string me a baritone with re-entrant tuning... Argh! It's UAS all over again! ;)

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Ah, OK. As a relative newcomer here, I was not aware of your Ohana connection.

Like many locals, Choan may well be a closet English speaker, but as he knows I speak Catalan we normally converse in that tongue. Hmm, I haven't seen him for a wee while. This exchange of ours has given me "ganas" to see him again soon. Inspired by you, I might ask him to string me a baritone with re-entrant tuning... Argh! It's UAS all over again! ;)

Re-entrant tuning really brings a baritone to life. It enables you to do much more with it.

Hippie Dribble
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
"Made In Heaven"

mmm, best get me a few sets then

:D:old:

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
"Made In Heaven"

mmm, best get me a few sets then

:D:old:

Just to be on the safe side. Thanks J.

coolkayaker1
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Ken Middleton on March 17, 2012 6:08AM: "All fluorocarbon strings seem pretty much the same to me."
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62243-Worth-Clears-Any-other-brand-similar

I guess that's all except your brand, eh, Ken. LOL.

I like FC, so I'd like to try them sometime when I can buy in US. Thanks.

mo9090x
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Me too. As soon as someone has them in the US I'd like to try some. Thx for the info Ken!

Plainsong
06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
You do know that the shipping is flat rate worldwide, no matter how many sets you order, right? No need to be scared of ordering from them thar foreigners. ;)

nix
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Just ordered 2 sets of concerts for myself. I have a Flea strung with Martin 600 fluorocarbons and an Ohana with Worth clear fluorocarbons. I like both of them but for different reasons. I'm excited to find out if Ken's new strings combine the traits that I like from each. Yay for new strings!

Nix

P.S. Part of the reason I bought my Ohana CK75-CG was because of your video and recommendation of that model. It will be great to hear your strings on it.

coolkayaker1
06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
You do know that the shipping is flat rate worldwide, no matter how many sets you order, right? No need to be scared of ordering from them thar foreigners. ;)

I do. But I also know that the only pounds in my house are around my midsection.

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Ken Middleton on March 17, 2012 6:08AM: "All fluorocarbon strings seem pretty much the same to me."
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62243-Worth-Clears-Any-other-brand-similar

I guess that's all except your brand, eh, Ken. LOL.

I like FC, so I'd like to try them sometime when I can buy in US. Thanks.

No, I stand behind what I said. Fluorocarbon has very different tonal characteristics to nylon and other plastics. As for mine? There are certain subtle things I wanted. The top brands of fluorocarbon strings are all excellent and some people may prefer them over mine.

If I do decide to sell them in the US, I doubt whether they wil be any cheaper than they are at the moment.

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Me too. As soon as someone has them in the US I'd like to try some. Thx for the info Ken!

You may have to wait a while. I have already had words with one very well-respected store, but at the moment I am happy to sell them through my website. A lot of people bought them yesterday, and the majority were from the US.

bazmaz
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Will be placing an order soon Ken!

mo9090x
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I saw the flat rate shipping. What I'm concerned about are customs/duty fees and mostly credit card foreign transaction fees. Those can really bump up the price of the strings to quite high when I'm already happy with Worth and Souhtcoast strings. I'd like to try Ken's strings but not if they are costing me an arm and leg.

Ken Middleton
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Will be placing an order soon Ken!

Thanks Barry. Message to follow.

I saw the flat rate shipping. What I'm concerned about are customs/duty fees and mostly credit card foreign transaction fees. Those can really bump up the price of the strings to quite high when I'm already happy with Worth and Souhtcoast strings. I'd like to try Ken's strings but not if they are costing me an arm and leg.

I understand your concerns. Perhaps wait until other US buyers report that there is no problem.

Doc_J
06-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Ken, looking forward to trying your new strings on a couple ukes. Just placed an order.
I think it is appropriate to have English made strings on my Timm's soprano ukulele.:)

Plainsong
06-21-2012, 02:13 AM

Customs fees on 6 bucks worth of strings? Are you buying thousands, because that's how much you have to buy to get hit with customs fees. I'm not using hyperbole here, either. Also, PayPal is actually pretty good at this foreign transaction stuff, which is the system Ken is using. You don't need an account but you can put money into one, and it never touches your credit card.

barefootgypsy
06-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Customs fees on 6 bucks worth of strings? Are you buying thousands, because that's how much you have to buy to get hit with customs fees. I'm not using hyperbole here, either. Also, PayPal is actually pretty good at this foreign transaction stuff, which is the system Ken is using. You don't need an account but you can put money into one, and it never touches your credit card. You're right - customs fees are horrendous into the UK, but I bought fluorocarbons for my banjo-uke from Mya-Moe, and they dropped straight through the letterbox, no problem, no stopping, no import charge. And cheaper than buying from a shop here! You've got to be spending a lot of money and a lot of carriage fees before it makes an appreciable difference.

didgeridoo2
06-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Just grabbed a set for my concert uke, Ken. I'll let you know what I think. I pair worth and savarez strings up with a D Addarrio wound string when I use low G, do you think the tension on your strings is comparable to those? I need to compare your string dimensions when I get a chance.

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Just grabbed a set for my concert uke, Ken. I'll let you know what I think. I pair worth and savarez strings up with a D Addarrio wound string when I use low G, do you think the tension on your strings is comparable to those? I need to compare your string dimensions when I get a chance.

No idea. Sorry. I have made my strings to suit me. I have never used Savarez and I won't use wound strings.

The slackest tension is on the baritone set. I have done this intentionally. When the tension is too tight on baritones they have a tendency to sound like toy guitars in my opinion.

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Ken, looking forward to trying your new strings on a couple ukes. Just placed an order.
I think it is appropriate to have English made strings on my Timm's soprano ukulele.:)

thanks for the order. They should work nicely on that instrument.

coolkayaker1
06-21-2012, 04:06 AM
You may have to wait a while. I have already had words with one very well-respected store, but at the moment I am happy to sell them through my website. A lot of people bought them yesterday, and the majority were from the US.

Hopefully you can sell them through Elderly. That'd be keen, Ken.

Dumb question, but I'll ask it anyhow: do all fc strings, yours too, cut the fingers the same. After [aying for an hour or two, my already calloused fingers ache/ I think it's a diameter thing...of course, fat nylons don't do this. Are all FCs similar in that respect?

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Hopefully you can sell them through Elderly. That'd be keen, Ken.

Dumb question, but I'll ask it anyhow: do all fc strings, yours too, cut the fingers the same. After [aying for an hour or two, my already calloused fingers ache/ I think it's a diameter thing...of course, fat nylons don't do this. Are all FCs similar in that respect?

Can't discuss which store yet. Sorry.

I find fluorocarbons by far the most comfortable strings. Mine feel great to me.

jmw
06-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Just ordered some soprano and concert sets... adding them to the list of strings to experiment with!

pc566
06-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Just ordered some, will swap them with my current strings and post back on how they go.

hoosierhiver
06-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Congrats Ken, I hope they do well. Maybe Uke Republic would carry them?

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Congrats Ken, I hope they do well. Maybe Uke Republic would carry them?

Maybe. I am having trouble keeping pace with demand at the moment, HH.

hoosierhiver
06-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Maybe. I am having trouble keeping pace with demand at the moment, HH.

Work party at Ken's house!

mo9090x
06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Nope, not buying thousands. Just that recently when inquiring about buying a Risa from Germany there are definitely duty fees. Since I'm not familiar with buying from other countries I didn't want a $12 set of strings becoming $20. I usually pay via Paypal from a credit card, so I don't want to get hit with foreign transactions fees (generally about $3).

After the discussion here I think the size/shape/weight of the strings will likely come through without any customs/duty fees and since I just acquired a Paypal balance from selling other stuff, I could pay directly with Paypal without a CC.

Ultimately it's more comfortable for me to buy from a U.S. vendor so I know exactly what I'm paying, no hit-me-later fees.

Customs fees on 6 bucks worth of strings? Are you buying thousands, because that's how much you have to buy to get hit with customs fees. I'm not using hyperbole here, either. Also, PayPal is actually pretty good at this foreign transaction stuff, which is the system Ken is using. You don't need an account but you can put money into one, and it never touches your credit card.

Plainsong
06-21-2012, 10:46 AM
But... there aren't any hit-me-later fees. Paypal charges this or that for cc transactions, but like you said, just use the balance. You're not buying a uke, just strings. If you were buying a Risa from Germany, you'd have some 20 bucks or so customs fee. But this is just strings. Paypal charges what it will charge at the time of the transaction. You see it, and have the option to submit or cancel.

I mean if you don't want the strings, that's fine of course. It's just that I'm from the US, I've been an expat for some 14 years. I send and receive stuff to and from home all the time. It's not anywhere as scary as you're saying. The burden basically falls on Ken. He's the one that has to fill out the little blue customs form. All you have to do is wait for the packet to arrive in your mailbox.

Nope, not buying thousands. Just that recently when inquiring about buying a Risa from Germany there are definitely duty fees. Since I'm not familiar with buying from other countries I didn't want a $12 set of strings becoming $20. I usually pay via Paypal from a credit card, so I don't want to get hit with foreign transactions fees (generally about $3).

After the discussion here I think the size/shape/weight of the strings will likely come through without any customs/duty fees and since I just acquired a Paypal balance from selling other stuff, I could pay directly with Paypal without a CC.

Ultimately it's more comfortable for me to buy from a U.S. vendor so I know exactly what I'm paying, no hit-me-later fees.

Doc_J
06-21-2012, 11:42 AM
But... there aren't any hit-me-later fees. Paypal charges this or that for cc transactions, but like you said, just use the balance. You're not buying a uke, just strings. If you were buying a Risa from Germany, you'd have some 20 bucks or so customs fee. But this is just strings. Paypal charges what it will charge at the time of the transaction. You see it, and have the option to submit or cancel.

I mean if you don't want the strings, that's fine of course. It's just that I'm from the US, I've been an expat for some 14 years. I send and receive stuff to and from home all the time. It's not anywhere as scary as you're saying. The burden basically falls on Ken. He's the one that has to fill out the little blue customs form. All you have to do is wait for the packet to arrive in your mailbox.

Plainsong is right. There will not be any US Customs fees on these strings. Buying from Ken's website is just as easy as buying in the USA, with shipping taking a bit longer.

thiam
06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
๋Completed an order of 3 tenor sets last night. Ken, what mode of shipment for overseas order, by air (for 1 GBP?). Understand this is just a temporary sales promotion of the strings. Best of luck for your Living Water Strings.

mo9090x
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. Purchased my strings tonight.

Plainsong is right. There will not be any US Customs fees on these strings. Buying from Ken's website is just as easy as buying in the USA, with shipping taking a bit longer.

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 08:08 PM
๋Completed an order of 3 tenor sets last night. Ken, what mode of shipment for overseas order, by air (for 1 GBP?). Understand this is just a temporary sales promotion of the strings. Best of luck for your Living Water Strings.

Yes, it is sent Small Packet Airmail. And yes, it does cost me more than 1. The price may soon go up a little, but not much.

I do understand that some people in the US and other distant countries like yours are reluctant to buy from a foreign country, but as you know it is actually very easy now. In fact, the majority of sales have been to the US. On the other hand, I have only actually mentioned the strings on UU (apart from a couple of YT vids). The response has been incredible and I have sold far more than I expected.

Thank you for your good wishes and thanks so much for the order. Your strings are packaged up and ready to go. They will be sent when the PO opens in a couple of hours. I would be very interested to find how quickly the package gets to your country. Perhaps you could email me when it arrives.

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. Purchased my strings tonight.

And I got your order. I will post it shortly when the PO opens (it is early Friday morning here). It will take a few days and I sure all will be well. Perhaps let me have some feedback about time, shipping, packaging, etc. I would be really grateful.

Ben_H
06-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Ken,

Was trying to decide what to try my first string change on a ukulele so this thread was very timely. Having ordered only the one set (doh!) do you have a view whether I should try them with a red cedar top soprano or solid koa soprano first? (Both have Aquilas on I think.)

All the best with your new enterprise.

Ben

thiam
06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes, it is sent Small Packet Airmail. And yes, it does cost me more than 1. The price may soon go up a little, but not much.

I do understand that some people in the US and other distant countries like yours are reluctant to buy from a foreign country, but as you know it is actually very easy now. In fact, the majority of sales have been to the US. On the other hand, I have only actually mentioned the strings on UU (apart from a couple of YT vids). The response has been incredible and I have sold far more than I expected.

Thank you for your good wishes and thanks so much for the order. Your strings are packaged up and ready to go. They will be sent when the PO opens in a couple of hours. I would be very interested to find how quickly the package gets to your country. Perhaps you could email me when it arrives.

Will let you know as I receive the package. Will see how long it would take to travel from England. It took between 3-5 days for a small packet from Hawaii. This would be duty-exempted in our country as it is below US$100.

Ken Middleton
06-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi Ken,

Was trying to decide what to try my first string change on a ukulele so this thread was very timely. Having ordered only the one set (doh!) do you have a view whether I should try them with a red cedar top soprano or solid koa soprano first? (Both have Aquilas on I think.)

All the best with your new enterprise.

Ben

Aquila are perhaps the most respected ukulele string company in the world. The company is run by friends of mine. I am not going to tell you to use mine over theirs.

I personally prefer the sound and feel of fluorocarbon strings (that's why I am making them) and they work well on all ukes in my opinion, no matter what the wood combination.

Remember though, the strings you use use are only partly responsible for the tone you get, so is the quality of the instrument. The main factor is the player. However, having said that, my strings do sound very different to Aquilas.

String choice is a very personal thing. It's up to you.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Ben_H
06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the response Ken, strings have arrived this morning, excellent service. Might just have to pull a uke name out of a hat.

Cheers

Ben

Plainsong
06-22-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm sure they'll get here to Finland in no time. UK to Finland is always very fast for small packages.

Ken Middleton
06-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the response Ken, strings have arrived this morning, excellent service. Might just have to pull a uke name out of a hat.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben. I aim to get them to UK customers for the next working day.

I'm sure they'll get here to Finland in no time. UK to Finland is always very fast for small packages.

I am not sure how long it will take to Finland. They were dispatched straight away. Would you let me know by email when they arrive, please? And thanks so much for your support.

Ken Middleton
06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyone for all your good wishes and support. Thanks to all those who have so far bought my strings. I have been literally overwhelmed. However, all the strings that have been ordered have been shipped.

If you have any comments or feedback about the new strings, please drop me a line on the Living Water email. I will always be looking to improve the product, so don't be afraid to say what you mean.

Thanks again.

bazmaz
06-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Well a set just gone on my Kanile'a Tenor. Already love the tension and feel. Obv need tome settling down so will play them In for a week or so and then get a review done.

First impressions - I love the brightness! I'd kind of settled on Worth clears on my K1 and no matter what I was trying it was too earthy and boomy in strumming. Loved that earthy tone picked but wished I could calm it. As I say, first impressions with these are that they may be trying to tick that box!

keliiyama
06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Aloha Ken!
I just put my order in for two tenor sets. One is going on my custom Compass Rose. When the strings are on her I'll do a review of the ukulele. The other set will go on my SUPER-DUPER secret build. I hope your strings will make these ukes sing:) Thanks for your passion, and keep up the great work.

Mahalo nui loa,
Keli'i

BTW I love the name. In Hawaiian it would be "Waiokeola!"

Mason671
06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Aloha Ken!
I just placed an order for a Concert, Tenor & Baritone set. I, too, look forward to playing them. I will let you know how long it takes to ship to Guam.

Cheers!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mason671

Ken Middleton
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Aloha Ken!
I just put my order in for two tenor sets. One is going on my custom Compass Rose. When the strings are on her I'll do a review of the ukulele. The other set will go on my SUPER-DUPER secret build. I hope your strings will make these ukes sing:) Thanks for your passion, and keep up the great work.

Mahalo nui loa,
Keli'i

BTW I love the name. In Hawaiian it would be "Waiokeola!"

It sound nice in Hawaiian too. Thanks very much for your trust.

Aloha Ken!
I just placed an order for a Concert, Tenor & Baritone set. I, too, look forward to playing them. I will let you know how long it takes to ship to Guam.

Cheers!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mason671

Thanks very much. I appreciate that.

cahaya
06-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Morning Ken,

Just to let you know when I did a Google search for "living water string", it gave me this URL, http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/strings.aspx,
which is a dead link. I went to your home web and found the LWS page from there.

I don't think you can do anything about it except to wait till Google update the database regarding the change of link...

Ken Middleton
06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Morning Ken,

Just to let you know when I did a Google search for "living water string", it gave me this URL, http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/strings.aspx,
which is a dead link. I went to your home web and found the LWS page from there.

I don't think you can do anything about it except to wait till Google update the database regarding the change of link.

Many thanks for letting me know. I had forgotten about this when I changed the title on my webpage. I will have to remember to keep each page the same in the future.

AnnaUK
06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
I've ordered some too. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Good luck with your new venture :)

Ken Middleton
06-23-2012, 01:26 AM
I've ordered some too. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Good luck with your new venture :)

Thank you Anna. I appreciate your support.

pc566
06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks alot, got them this morning. Havnt had the chance to try them yet but first impressions with the packaging are excellent.

Ken Middleton
06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks alot, got them this morning. Havnt had the chance to try them yet but first impressions with the packaging are excellent.

It is good to know that they arrived quickly. Thanks for the feedback.

Ken Middleton
06-25-2012, 11:03 PM
My strings are now available on eBay. Just type the name into the search box. For the moment the prices are the same as on my website. Just 1 shipping to anywhere in the world.

Manalishi
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Ordered a set on Sunday night and they arrived
first thing this morning (Tuesday) so excellent
service there!

Later Edit:Strings have more or less 'settled' after
a few hours and they play smoothly and as bright
as I expected,having watched Ken's Video!

UKISOCIETY
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
I just ordered a couple sets, one baritone set for my TV Pal bari. Looking forward to hearing them sing on it!

Ken Middleton
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Ordered a set on Sunday night and they arrived
first thing this morning (Tuesday) so excellent
service there!

Later Edit:Strings have more or less 'settled' after
a few hours and they play smoothly and as bright
as I expected,having watched Ken's Video!

I am so glad you are pleased with them. Thanks for the feedback.

Ken Middleton
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I just ordered a couple sets, one baritone set for my TV Pal bari. Looking forward to hearing them sing on it!

I will post them tomorrow, Alan (it is late now). Would you be so kind as to let me know when they arrive? Thanks so much for buying.

Tootler
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Just ordered a couple of Soprano Sets, Ken.

I needed some spares so I thought why not give yours a try!

Cheers

Ken Middleton
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Just ordered a couple of Soprano Sets, Ken.

I needed some spares so I thought why not give yours a try!

Cheers

Thank you very much. Everyone seems to be buying them at the moment. You should get them on Thursday.

fretie
06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Ken, do you have any plans to include a low G in your string line up?

thanks,
Erin

Ken Middleton
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Ken, do you have any plans to include a low G in your string line up?

thanks,
Erin

Yes, I do. The tenor (low G) set wil be available in about two weeks and the concert and soprano sets may follow soon afterwards. That's the plan anyway. I need to test them and get them absolutely right before I will release them.

Nige52
06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
That's good news Ken, all my Tenors are strung low G, so I'll be buying some when they are available :)

Ken Middleton
06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
That's good news Ken, all my Tenors are strung low G, so I'll be buying some when they are available :)

Check private message. Like the look of your club website, by the way. Let me know if I can help in any way.

fretie
06-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Yes, I do. The tenor (low G) set wil be available in about two weeks and the concert and soprano sets may follow soon afterwards. That's the plan anyway. I need to test them and get them absolutely right before I will release them.

Thanks Ken, I will wait for when the low G is out and then get low G for my tenor and high G for my concert in the same order.

cheers,
Erin

Ken Middleton
06-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks Ken, I will wait for when the low G is out and then get low G for my tenor and high G for my concert in the same order.

cheers,
Erin

Sounds like a plan, Erin.

mo9090x
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi Ken, strings arrived safe and sound today. Packaging looks great and no extra handling required by the US Postal Service. Ordered Thursday night and arrived by the following Wednesday... very fast! Kind regards, Monica

Ken Middleton
06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Ken, strings arrived safe and sound today. Packaging looks great and no extra handling required by the US Postal Service. Ordered Thursday night and arrived by the following Wednesday... very fast! Kind regards, Monica

Thanks Monica. Glad you like them.

I posted them on Friday. That's 4 working days delivery. That's pretty good, isn't it?

mo9090x
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
That is great!!

Thanks Monica. Glad you like them.

I posted them on Friday. That's 4 working days delivery. That's pretty good, isn't it?

pc566
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Have had them 4 days now, ey settled really quickly and sound brilliant. I had aquila strings on before which were a step up from the factory ones, these strings have taken the sound to a different level, they make the aquila strings sound tinny, if that makes sense. A very full sound beautiful and bright.
Thanks alot

The Big Kahuna
06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm very interested in trying a set of these on my Fender, as I still have the factory Aquillas on. How would you describe the tension on a tenor, compared to Aquilla ?

Ken Middleton
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Have had them 4 days now, ey settled really quickly and sound brilliant. I had aquila strings on before which were a step up from the factory ones, these strings have taken the sound to a different level, they make the aquila strings sound tinny, if that makes sense. A very full sound beautiful and bright.
Thanks alot

Thanks for such a positive report. I am pleased that you like them.

Louis0815
06-29-2012, 12:04 AM
reading all these positive posts I am afraid I will have to buy yet another uke (preferrably unstringed :p) for the Living Water Strings (which should arrive very soon)....
I start understanding the rationales behind UAS......
:music:

joeybug
06-29-2012, 02:55 AM
They sound like they're very good strings and so when I next get paid I shall have to buy a set for one of my sopranos...just gotta decide which one! Good luck with them, Ken, sounds like they're doing really well! :D

Think I'll put them on Hope, she's due a string change :D

didgeridoo2
06-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Received mine yesterday, Ken. I'll string em up next week and give you my impressions. Thanks for prompt delivery!

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 04:37 AM
reading all these positive posts I am afraid I will have to buy yet another uke (preferrably unstringed :p) for the Living Water Strings (which should arrive very soon)....
I start understanding the rationales behind UAS......
:music:

Go on, buy one! You know you want to really.

They sound like they're very good strings and so when I next get paid I shall have to buy a set for one of my sopranos...just gotta decide which one! Good luck with them, Ken, sounds like they're doing really well! :D

Think I'll put them on Hope, she's due a string change :D

Thank you, Joey. Yes, they are selling like hot cakes.

Received mine yesterday, Ken. I'll string em up next week and give you my impressions. Thanks for prompt delivery!

yes, I am pretty pleased with the delivery times. And thanks for the feedback.

Barbablanca
06-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Mine arrived today. I've put them on a Lanikai LU21 CE Concert Acoustic with Pick Up.

Acoustically the instrument sounds a lot louder and brighter than with the Aquilas. The difference is between "ting" and "drump" when strummed. Played individually with my thumb they sound full bodied, and picked they ripple like their namesake.

Through the amp they're maybe a little too bright. Had to adjust the equaliser to get the C string to offer a little more bass.

Stringing them was a little more problematic than the Aquilas, because they seemed to give a lot more than a new set of Aqulias. I've been strumming them all afternoon and they still need very regular tuning. However, if they settle in soon and keep their tuning better I shall be very pleased to have purchased them.

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Stringing them was a little more problematic than the Aquilas, because they seemed to give a lot more than a new set of Aqulias. I've been strumming them all afternoon and they still need very regular tuning. However, if they settle in soon and keep their tuning better I shall be very pleased to have purchased them.

All strings stretch when you first tighten them up. Just don't tug at them to get them to settle more quickly. Tugging at new strings is the main cause of the "intonation issues" that people are always reporting and blaming the ukes. Very few good quality ukes are that much out of tune with themselves. Nine times out of ten it is the strings that have stretched unevenly. All strings of all types.

All fluorocarbons take a few days to really settle. Other kinds of strings may take even longer.

The Big Kahuna
06-29-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm very interested in trying a set of these on my Fender, as I still have the factory Aquillas on. How would you describe the tension on a tenor, compared to Aquilla ?

Anybody ? Nobody ?

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Anybody ? Nobody ?

I'm sorry, I don't have a tenor with Aquila strings that are tuned up to pitch to hand at the moment. I can't really give you an answer.

But in any case, I have not in any way compared my new strings to Aquilas. They are completely different.

The Big Kahuna
06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
It was purely the tension that I was wondering about. Sound-wise, I trust the judgement of other, more knowledgeable, members, who say they sound just fine. So, on that basis, I'd be more than happy to order a set. I'd just like to get some clarification of the perceived tension when compared to a brand that I'm familiar with.

Hiddencross
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
I look forward to trying out a linear set when they become available. Will it be an unwound low-g?

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 08:55 AM
I look forward to trying out a linear set when they become available. Will it be an unwound low-g?

Absolutely! I will only use pure fluorocarbon. The low G tenor s will be available in about 10 days time.

Doc_J
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Just received my Living Water Strings in the mail today 6/29. The Post got them here to Georgia, USA pretty quickly, 8 days. Thanks Ken!

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Just received my Living Water Strings in the mail today 6/29. The Post got them here to Georgia, USA pretty quickly, 8 days. Thanks Ken!

Sorry it took so long. They are supposed to arrive within 5 working days (omit Sat and Sun). Quite a few people in the US are getting them in 4 days.

Booksniffer
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Just checking: you don't send out a shipping confirmation, do you?

I'm not really worried yet, but I ordered exactly a week ago and since I'm in Europe as well I'd sort of expected the strings to show up now-ish...

Tootler
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Mine arrived today. I've fitted a set to my Flea and I like the result. The have a really clear ring but at the same time they are a little more mellow than the Aquilas which suits me very nicely for singing. They seem to be starting to settle quite quickly as well.

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Just checking: you don't send out a shipping confirmation, do you?

I'm not really worried yet, but I ordered exactly a week ago and since I'm in Europe as well I'd sort of expected the strings to show up now-ish...

I can confirm that your order was definitely posted. It came in too late to post on Friday. They don't count Saturday and Sunday in the 5 days postage time. It may arrive tomorrow. If not, then Monday. Sorry for the delay. Some people are getting them much more quickly.

Lori
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Mine arrived today. I hope to put them on a uke this week.

–Lori

Ken Middleton
06-29-2012, 08:44 PM
[

Mine arrived today. I hope to put them on a uke this week.

–Lori

Thanks for the email, Lori.

Booksniffer
06-30-2012, 04:54 AM
I can confirm that your order was definitely posted. It came in too late to post on Friday. They don't count Saturday and Sunday in the 5 days postage time. It may arrive tomorrow. If not, then Monday. Sorry for the delay. Some people are getting them much more quickly.

Great, thank you!
I can't wait to try them out. :)

UkeyDave
06-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Hi Ken,
I've just ordered some from your web site. If they're good enough for you then that's a good enough endorsement for me.
Regards
Dave

kvehe
06-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Mine came Thursday (I think) - deciding what to put them on.....

Kathryn

The Big Kahuna
06-30-2012, 07:15 AM
A Ukulele would probably be a good start.

didgeridoo2
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Put these on a new Pono solid mahogany concert today, and even though they are still settling, I can tell that they are a big upgrade from the stock (Koolau? I think) strings that came on it. Good balance, brighter...good feel for picking and strumming. I haven't really played it much since I am currently working, but my first impression was very positive. It's still early to tell and I'm not using them on a familiar instrument, so I'll have more to say later. I did a quick clawhammer check and they feel like they will respond well to that style too. Thanks Ken.

ukuLily Mars
06-30-2012, 10:48 AM
All strings stretch when you first tighten them up. Just don't tug at them to get them to settle more quickly. Tugging at new strings is the main cause of the "intonation issues" that people are always reporting and blaming the ukes. Very few good quality ukes are that much out of tune with themselves. Nine times out of ten it is the strings that have stretched unevenly. All strings of all types.

This is really useful information, Ken! Thank you! I will avoid doing that next time.

I was playing this evening and realized that all of a sudden my 'uke sounds horrible! It's nearly four months since the last (okay, the only) time I changed strings so I guess I'm due. I have a friend bringing me back three different types of strings from the US next week, and not a moment too soon, but I think I may have to try Living Water first! (Have to admit that I don't love the string-changing process. My husband and dog aren't too thrilled with it, either; last time there was cursing involved. On my part, not theirs. My dog practically never curses.)

You'll be hearing from me shortly, Ken! Any idea how long the 1 shipping will be available?

thiam
06-30-2012, 04:50 PM

The packet finally arrived at my home on Thursday, 28th July, unopened for custom inspection due to the less than $100 value limit. The packet remained intact and I just opened and checked one of the three sets, each individual string is neatly packed and clearly labeled. I'll put one set on one of my tenors this coming week. It wasn't a long wait afterall; it's about one week time for the packet to travel from England to Bangkok, Thailand and safely delivered at my doorstep. Thank you, Ken. I'm now awaiting for your low G strings.

nix
06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
My strings arrived today! I ordered them on Wednesday 6/20 and they probably got posted on the 21st so it took 10 days to reach Arizona (southwest portion of the US). If you take out Sat/Sun then it took 8 days. I just pulled them out of the mailbox so haven't strung them up yet. The packaging is gorgeous. The only disappointment is that nothing has Ken's signature!

Happy new string day for me :)

Nix

Ken Middleton
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
The packet finally arrived at my home on Thursday, 28th July, unopened for custom inspection due to the less than $100 value limit. The packet remained intact and I just opened and checked one of the three sets, each individual string is neatly packed and clearly labeled. I'll put one set on one of my tenors this coming week. It wasn't a long wait afterall; it's about one week time for the packet to travel from England to Bangkok, Thailand and safely delivered at my doorstep. Thank you, Ken. I'm now awaiting for your low G strings.

Thanks for such lovely feedback. Am on vacation at the moment. The low G tenor set will be available in less than 10 days.

My strings arrived today! I ordered them on Wednesday 6/20 and they probably got posted on the 21st so it took 10 days to reach Arizona (southwest portion of the US). If you take out Sat/Sun then it took 8 days. I just pulled them out of the mailbox so haven't strung them up yet. The packaging is gorgeous. The only disappointment is that nothing has Ken's signature!

Happy new string day for me :)

Nix

Glad you like the packaging. I worked for a long time to try to get it right. I will take the signature idea on board. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry the delivery took so long. It is supposed to take " up to 5 days". There doesn't seem to be a quicker method either. At least, not an affordable one.

Louis0815
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Go on, buy one! You know you want to really.:drool: Man, you really want me into trouble, do you? :rolleyes:
Getting yet another one would need a lot of explanations at home...
... and a lot more practicing as justification - but well, birthday and Christmas are still to come.....

Anyway, strings arrived today - kudos for the transport packaging and the string packaging itself; all things clearly marked (unlike the somewhat mysterious Aquila color dots) and even all the diameters stated on the package (just in case).
As they are really clear I guess I'll put them on the Flea where these invisible strings can match the invisible frets :cool:

Ken Middleton
07-02-2012, 03:38 AM
:drool: Man, you really want me into trouble, do you? :rolleyes:
Getting yet another one would need a lot of explanations at home...
... and a lot more practicing as justification - but well, birthday and Christmas are still to come.....

Anyway, strings arrived today - kudos for the transport packaging and the string packaging itself; all things clearly marked (unlike the somewhat mysterious Aquila color dots) and even all the diameters stated on the package (just in case).
As they are really clear I guess I'll put them on the Flea where these invisible strings can match the invisible frets :cool:

Thanks for the feedback.

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Received mine today. Lovely packaging, Ken! I'll string up my ukes the first chance I get.

Ken Middleton
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Received mine today. Lovely packaging, Ken! I'll string up my ukes the first chance I get.

Thanks Alan. I wanted to make the packaging a little different.

Mason671
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Aloha Ken!

Cheers!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mason671

Aloha Ken!
Just posting to let you know that I had received the the concert, tenor and bari string sets. They were probably in my P.O. Box since Tuesday but I didn't check it until today. I'll be stringing up the concert first thing this weekend and will let you know how they sound. The shipping was very quick considering that they were shipped all the way to the island of Guam in the Western Pacific. Much Mahalos to you , Ken!

Mason671

Louis0815
07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Restringed my Flea from the factory Aquilas to LWS and was first of all quite surprised how fast they settled - I changed the low G to a standard G on my Kala and that (Aquila) string seems to take quite longer...

Regarding the sound I can only confirm what was said before: a tad warmer and softer than Aquilas, not as bright and sharp - really nice, even on the "only laminated" Flea. Immediately reminded me of the initial impression of the Aurora strings (which are basically dyed Aquilas with a slightly different sound and feeling).
I'd love to try LWS on a solid uke, maybe I'll treat myself with one (Ohana CKxx? ;)) ... later ....

Bottom line: Ken, you did a great job with LWS. This first concert set won't be the last one I ever bought.

Booksniffer
07-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately, there is still no sign of the strings here!

Perhaps all the dykes and canals are putting them off...

Ken Middleton
07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, there is still no sign of the strings here!

Perhaps all the dykes and canals are putting them off...

Just email me and I will look into it.

Ken Middleton
07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Aloha Ken!
Just posting to let you know that I had received the the concert, tenor and bari string sets. They were probably in my P.O. Box since Tuesday but I didn't check it until today. I'll be stringing up the concert first thing this weekend and will let you know how they sound. The shipping was very quick considering that they were shipped all the way to the island of Guam in the Western Pacific. Much Mahalos to you , Ken!

Mason671

I remember your order because I had to check to find out where in the world Guam was and how much the postage would be. Same as mainland US, of course. Thanks for buying.

Restringed my Flea from the factory Aquilas to LWS and was first of all quite surprised how fast they settled - I changed the low G to a standard G on my Kala and that (Aquila) string seems to take quite longer...

Regarding the sound I can only confirm what was said before: a tad warmer and softer than Aquilas, not as bright and sharp - really nice, even on the "only laminated" Flea. Immediately reminded me of the initial impression of the Aurora strings (which are basically dyed Aquilas with a slightly different sound and feeling).
I'd love to try LWS on a solid uke, maybe I'll treat myself with one (Ohana CKxx? ;)) ... later ....

Bottom line: Ken, you did a great job with LWS. This first concert set won't be the last one I ever bought.

I am very pleased with the response from people. Personally, I love using the strings.

AnnaUK
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
My strings arrived the next working day after I ordered them. What great service from Ken. :)

I swapped them with the Worth Clears on my Makapili concert (acacia top) and it really sings. They might look quite similar, but on first impressions I think the Living Water strings sound louder and brighter.

(In the interests of fairness, I do realise that this could be because I'm replacing old strings with new, but I don't usually notice such a difference when I change strings.)

I'm pleased with them so far. Now to play them in... :D

Ken Middleton
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM
My strings arrived the next working day after I ordered them. What great service from Ken. :)

I swapped them with the Worth Clears on my Makapili concert (acacia top) and it really sings. They might look quite similar, but on first impressions I think the Living Water strings sound louder and brighter.

(In the interests of fairness, I do realise that this could be because I'm replacing old strings with new, but I don't usually notice such a difference when I change strings.)

I'm pleased with them so far. Now to play them in... :D

Thank you so much for your feedback, Anna.

mds725
07-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Ken,

I just ordered two sets each of tenor and baritone strings after watching your videos. (I ordered from the your site so you wouldn't have to deal with eBay.) I'm intrigued by baritone reentrant tuning, as I've never played a baritone strung that way before. I'm glad to see your strings are doing so well! Are you planning to sell them at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival this year?

Mark

Ken Middleton
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Are you planning to sell them at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival this year?

Mark

Yes, I will certainly bring some with me. See you there.

G Hill
07-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Had the strings on my Ohana sk38 for 3 days now and they're starting to settle down nicely.
Love the tension and feel of these strings.
Thanks Ken
Cheers
Gary

ukuleledaveey
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
many thanks for the extremely quick delivery of my soprano strings Ken greatly appreciated look forward to trying them out, are the baritone strings all fluro strings or are there wound strings as well ? as i may order some of these in the near future.
Kindest regards, Dave

Ken Middleton
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Had the strings on my Ohana sk38 for 3 days now and they're starting to settle down nicely.
Love the tension and feel of these strings.
Thanks Ken
Cheers
Gary

Much appreciated, Gary.

many thanks for the extremely quick delivery of my soprano strings Ken greatly appreciated look forward to trying them out, are the baritone strings all fluro strings or are there wound strings as well ? as i may order some of these in the near future.
Kindest regards, Dave

No, Dave, I only intend to ev use fluorocarbon. I don't like wound strings at all.

ukuleledaveey
07-07-2012, 03:52 AM
No, Dave, I only intend to ev use fluorocarbon. I don't like wound strings at all.

that is fantastic news :) i love all unwound strings to, i will definitely be trying your baritone strings in the future, i have worth browns on my bari at the moment but they destroy my strumming nail :). once again thanks for the great service.

Tootler
07-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I've put your strings on my Flea and my Kala Soprano and they definitely make a difference. On both the sound is more mellow but there is a ring. The Kala has a brighter sound but that is because I have it tuned ADF#B but the tone is bright without being harsh. The difference compared with the Aquilas I replaced is subtle but definitely there.

Excellent strings, Ken. I've a feeling I will be back for spares before too long.

Ken Middleton
07-07-2012, 09:45 AM
that is fantastic news :) i love all unwound strings to, i will definitely be trying your baritone strings in the future, i have worth browns on my bari at the moment but they destroy my strumming nail :). once again thanks for the great service.

thanks Dave. the baritone strings have surprised me. They are really popular.

I've put your strings on my Flea and my Kala Soprano and they definitely make a difference. On both the sound is more mellow but there is a ring. The Kala has a brighter sound but that is because I have it tuned ADF#B but the tone is bright without being harsh. The difference compared with the Aquilas I replaced is subtle but definitely there.

Excellent strings, Ken. I've a feeling I will be back for spares before too long.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the feedback.

Ken Middleton
07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
For those who like to use a low 4th string, the Low G Tenor set is now available to buy.

barefootgypsy
07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
For those who like to use a low 4th string, the Low G Tenor set is now available to buy.HI Ken! Are you only selling them as sets, or are you doing the low G as a single string as well?

Ken Middleton
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
HI Ken! Are you only selling them as sets, or are you doing the low G as a single string as well?

No, they will only be available as part of a set.

joeybug
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Finally had the money to buy a set, still need to decide on which Ukulele they will go, I may choose to put them on one in the future, but didn't want to miss out on the great price. Thanks Ken!

Ken Middleton
07-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Finally had the money to buy a set, still need to decide on which Ukulele they will go, I may choose to put them on one in the future, but didn't want to miss out on the great price. Thanks Ken!

They are on their way, Joey.

MisterRios
07-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Just got mine this morning in Berlin!

Ordered 6/7, posted 7/7 and arrived 11/7.

Thanks Ken! I look forward to trying them out. And getting your autograph on the invoice/packing slip was a nice touch too!

Pete Beardsley
07-11-2012, 02:19 AM
I got mine the day after ordering, Ken even spotted a potential error in my order and checked with me before posting. That's what I call service!
Still haven't had an opportunity to try them yet though due to being away on business for two weeks. Hmph!

Mason671
07-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Aloha Ken,
I have put the LWS concert strings on my Kala KA-C and they have settled in quite nicely. I had Worth browns prior to putting the LWS on the Kala. IMHO, the LWS sound like a good compromise between the bright Worth clears and the warm Worth browns. They present the best of both worlds especially to those who may be looking for the clarity of Worth clears and the warmth of Worth browns. I am definitely enjoying these strings and looking forward to stringing up my Kala ASAC-T (currently strung with Ko'olau Alohi's w/wound 3rd). Much Mahaloz, Ken!

Mason671

mm stan
07-11-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm sure Ken can just pop them in a standard envelope....for the international 96 cents as I have sent strings to friends in the UK
Ken, I need to check out your strings...I guess I have to go to your website to read about them...I love Fleurocarbons...I just saw this thread now...shoots being sick, I miss alot of things..

Ken Middleton
07-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Just got mine this morning in Berlin!

Ordered 6/7, posted 7/7 and arrived 11/7.

Thanks Ken! I look forward to trying them out. And getting your autograph on the invoice/packing slip was a nice touch too!

Glad to be of service.

I got mine the day after ordering, Ken even spotted a potential error in my order and checked with me before posting. That's what I call service!
Still haven't had an opportunity to try them yet though due to being away on business for two weeks. Hmph!

Thanks very much for letting me know. And thanks for the kind words.

Aloha Ken,
I have put the LWS concert strings on my Kala KA-C and they have settled in quite nicely. I had Worth browns prior to putting the LWS on the Kala. IMHO, the LWS sound like a good compromise between the bright Worth clears and the warm Worth browns. They present the best of both worlds especially to those who may be looking for the clarity of Worth clears and the warmth of Worth browns. I am definitely enjoying these strings and looking forward to stringing up my Kala ASAC-T (currently strung with Ko'olau Alohi's w/wound 3rd). Much Mahaloz, Ken!

Mason671

Thank you so much.

Ken Middleton
07-11-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm sure Ken can just pop them in a standard envelope....for the international 96 cents as I have sent strings to friends in the UK
Ken, I need to check out your strings...I guess I have to go to your website to read about them...I love Fleurocarbons...I just saw this thread now...shoots being sick, I miss alot of things..

I send them in a small padded Jiffy Bag, Stan. It has a clear custom declaration if it is sent to any non-EU country. There really shouldn't be a problem with duty. I have sold a lot in the last couple of weeks, mostly to customers in the US, and no-one has reported any problem with customs.

If a credit card is charging for foreign transactions, I would change my credit card. I use a credit card a lot for business and there are no excessive charges, even though I use it both online and in person all over the world.

If you yourself need info, Stan, just go to my website. And remember, I am only an email or a phone call away.

mm stan
07-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Aloha Ken, sent you an email...thank you Stan

Ken Middleton
07-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Aloha Ken, sent you an email...thank you Stan

Haha. I've sent you two.

bdukes
07-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Received the strings in roughly a week. Well packaged for shipping and the packaging of the strings themselves is terrific. Nice glittery paper and very well labeled contents. Each string is packaged individually with clear indication on each sleeve.

Candidly, I ordered them (a set for soprano, concert, and tenor) to simply show my appreciation of Ken and all he does for the community. I strung up my Koaloha Longneck Soprano with a set of concerts 3 days ago and have to say, I really like the sound and feel. They're great strings. On this particular Koaloha, they have a nice balance across the set, nice sustain and excellent feel. I find them slightly warmer than Worth Clears and Fremont Blacklines (historically my personal go to choice). But it was the feel that really connected with me. I can't wait to try them on a tenor.

It seems you have a hit. All the best, Ken.

hibiscus
07-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I decided I need to have a couple of sets, too! I'm grateful to the sellers in this Forum who tell us about "new" items. . .

joeybug
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
They are on their way, Joey.

They arrived today and think I will put them on Hope to give them a test drive, she has Aquila's on at the moment and it would be nice to do a comparison, will also review them for my blog and will post here to let you know what I think of them. Thanks for the quick delivery Ken!

joeybug
07-12-2012, 01:57 AM
I've put them on Hope and even though they haven't settled yet, I like the sound of them, will give a full report when they've settled!

Ken Middleton
07-12-2012, 02:08 AM
I've put them on Hope and even though they haven't settled yet, I like the sound of them, will give a full report when they've settled!

All strings will take several days to settle down, Joey. However, lots of people are reporting to me that they have settled in quite quickly. Just don't tug at them.

joeybug
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
All strings will take several days to settle down, Joey. However, lots of people are reporting to me that they have settled in quite quickly. Just don't tug at them.

Oh, I know all of them take a while to settle, wasn't a criticism, just saying that they sound really good even though they're not fully settled yet, will keep at them and I never tug on my strings, just never seem to find a way to do it without the worry of breaking them. I let them settle the usual way :D

Ken Middleton
07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Oh, I know all of them take a while to settle, wasn't a criticism, just saying that they sound really good even though they're not fully settled yet, will keep at them and I never tug on my strings, just never seem to find a way to do it without the worry of breaking them. I let them settle the usual way :D

I look forward to reading/hearing your review, Joey.

v30
07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Looking forward to trying these out as I am a big fan of flourocarbon strings (specifically the martin m600's). Order sent. Best of luck with this new endevor. I'll have to try these on the 2 new ohana's I just bought ;)

Plainsong
07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
They're really balanced. There's no C string and friends with this set. For the ukes that'll use fluoros, I've found my strings! :)

joeybug
07-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I look forward to reading/hearing your review, Joey.

I did a video review, as well as a post on my blog, you can find both herel (http://4ukulele.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/review-living-water-strings-by-ken.html) I just realised that I forgot to add a link to your website, so will do that now!

Overall, I love the strings, they're great, bright and cheerful and sound wonderful on Hope. I know these are going to do well!

Barbablanca
07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
My latest contribution to the 21st season of the Ukulele features my Lanikai LU21 CE strung with Living Water strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6XWF5zodp8

Booksniffer
07-20-2012, 02:45 AM
The second set that Ken very kindly sent me (the first have gone walkabout, it seems) have just arrived, and are on my Fluke now!
They're still settling of course, but they do sound SO much better already than the (black) stock strings that it came with; like a blanket has been lifted!

mm stan
07-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Gee I am sooo Jealous...I was late to hear about the strings and Just ordered them a week ago and waiting patiently for them...thank you for the info...I cannot wait...woo hoo

hibiscus
07-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Merci beaucoup Barbablanca!

wickedwahine11
07-20-2012, 06:40 AM
I played them again this morning, and they sounded really wonderful. I'm surprised the C and E strings are staying in tune pretty much already.

I like them so much I just ordered three more sets as backups -- and maybe I might try a set on the Kamoa tenor.

Trinimon
07-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I played them again this morning, and they sounded really wonderful. I'm surprised the C and E strings are staying in tune pretty much already.

I like them so much I just ordered three more sets as backups -- and maybe I might try a set on the Kamoa tenor.

LOL, now you guys are making me antsy waiting for my strings to be delivered. Humm, maybe I won't give the nephew a set... just kidding. Wonder if he's reading this. lol

bpedaci
07-23-2012, 06:38 AM
I found the strings a little thicker and less flexible than Worth Clears when putting them on, but it's reflected in a sharper, clearer sound. The bell tones on the higher frets are especially nice. I have them on a KPK concert.

UKISOCIETY
07-23-2012, 07:28 AM
I put the strings on my Happy Tune plastic uke from the 1950's. I wasn't sure they would make it sound better than the flurocarbons I already had on them, but they did! Tone improved and the sound was brighter and louder.

ukulelelearner
07-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Will you be producing a concert set with a low g (wound and/or unwound)? I'm interested in trying these out!

Ken Middleton
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Will you be producing a concert set with a low g (wound and/or unwound)? I'm interested in trying these out!

I would like to produce a low G Concert set. If I do, it will have no wound strings. None of my strings sets will have wound strings.

strumsilly
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I would like to produce a low G Concert set. If I do, it will have no wound strings. None of my strings sets will have wound strings.
I haven't read through all 16 pages of this thread, but am the only one who thinks there is a time and a place for wound strings? I have'nt found a baritone non wound D that I like. The wound C from a Southcoast 8 string set sounded so good on my Kamaka , I asked Dirk if he could do a 4 string reentrant set with a wound C. yea they're squeaky, and they wear out quicker, but they can produce a very nice tone with a lot of sustain in a smaller diameter.

ukulelelearner
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM

awesome! thanks

Ken Middleton
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
... am the only one who thinks there is a time and a place for wound strings? ...

No, lots of people love wound strings and some of the major string companies make excellent wound strings. However, I personally don't like wound strings in a fluorocarbon set and so I will not be using them, ever.

strumsilly
07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
No, lots of people love wound strings and some of the major string companies make excellent wound strings. However, I personally don't like wound strings in a fluorocarbon set and so I will not be using them, ever.
WHAT would you use in a linear for a BARITONE IN G?

Ken Middleton
07-24-2012, 01:53 AM
WHAT would you use in a linear for a BARITONE IN G?

I haven't decided yet. When I do, I will release a set of my own strings. If I can't make it work without using wound strings, I won't make a set for sale.

Ken Middleton
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I am currently looking at a low G Concert set and and a low D Baritone set. I am weighing up the different options. However, neither set will have wound strings.

Ken Middleton
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
The Concert sets with low G are now available to buy. Low G Tenor, re-entrant Soprano, Concert, Tenor and Baritone are already for sale.

They are to be found here:

Living Water Ukulele Strings (http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx)

Louis0815
07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
The Concert sets with low G are now available to buy.Oh dear, I can feel String Acquisition Syndrome kicking in....... :drool:
:worship:

Ken Middleton
07-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Oh dear, I can feel String Acquisition Syndrome kicking in....... :drool:
:worship:

There is a cure. Take up the bassoon.

Lori
07-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey Ken

Just got my new concert set of Living Water Strings on my concert neck Flea. They settled in pretty quickly, and now that they have been on an few days, they sound really great. At first, when I put them on, I didn't hear much difference from my Aquila set. But now that they have been on a few days, I can hear a nice resonant texture to the tone. A kind of sparkly echo that I like very much. It sounds good with fingerpicking and strumming. The fingerpicking is especially nice, with the clear bell-like tones. The strumming is very nice too, with no muddiness. It is almost like playing in a subway tunnel (without the trains), or like in the wine cellar tunnels in Wine Country. Can't wait to try them on my Kanile'a.

–Lori

Louis0815
07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
There is a cure. Take up the bassoon.Well, I've got clarinet and sax already, does that count? And besides that it's too late anyway as you've already posted my new order.:)
The low G Concert set will go to my KA-C - and I expect similar results to what Lori posted about the Flea (which I can confirm BTW)

Ken Middleton
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey Ken

Just got my new concert set of Living Water Strings on my concert neck Flea. They settled in pretty quickly, and now that they have been on an few days, they sound really great. At first, when I put them on, I didn't hear much difference from my Aquila set. But now that they have been on a few days, I can hear a nice resonant texture to the tone. A kind of sparkly echo that I like very much. It sounds good with fingerpicking and strumming. The fingerpicking is especially nice, with the clear bell-like tones. The strumming is very nice too, with no muddiness. It is almost like playing in a subway tunnel (without the trains), or like in the wine cellar tunnels in Wine Country. Can't wait to try them on my Kanile'a.

–Lori

Thanks so much for your positive feedback, Lori. What I am very pleased about is that my strings seem to work well on everything. They work really well on a Kanile'a, by the way.

Well, I've got clarinet and sax already, does that count? And besides that it's too late anyway as you've already posted my new order.:)
The low G Concert set will go to my KA-C - and I expect similar results to what Lori posted about the Flea (which I can confirm BTW)

It certainly does. I play the sax too, though very rarely now. The uke seems to have taken over.

barefootgypsy
07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Thrilled with my concert set - the low G rings out beautifully and blends so well with the others! It's an Ace, Ken! Brilliant!

Ken Middleton
07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Thrilled with my concert set - the low G rings out beautifully and blends so well with the others! It's an Ace, Ken! Brilliant!

Thanks very much. People seem to be very pleased with the low G Concerts. I personally don't like a low 4th string, but I realise that a lot of people do.

Trinimon
08-01-2012, 03:45 AM
yay! Got my strings yesterday. Love the packaging. The cat thought it was a pack of cat treats when I was opening it. She was disappointed but wanted to play with the strings too. Ha! Didn't get time to try 'em yet. Hopefully this wknd.

Mahalo, Ken.

ukulelelearner
08-01-2012, 04:56 AM
I have a concert Oscar Schmitt uke and I currently have a high G on it. I really want to change it out for a low g. Will I have to adjust the slot in the nut to widen it for the low g string? Thanks Ken.

Annemarie

Ken Middleton
08-01-2012, 06:39 AM
yay! Got my strings yesterday. Love the packaging. The cat thought it was a pack of cat treats when I was opening it. She was disappointed but wanted to play with the strings too. Ha! Didn't get time to try 'em yet. Hopefully this wknd.

Mahalo, Ken.

Yes, I'm pretty pleased with the packaging. I am hoping that my supplier never runs out of it. It would be difficult to replace it.

Ken Middleton
08-01-2012, 06:47 AM
I have a concert Oscar Schmitt uke and I currently have a high G on it. I really want to change it out for a low g. Will I have to adjust the slot in the nut to widen it for the low g string? Thanks Ken.

Annemarie

You may have to make the nut slot a little wider. However, this is not always necessary. I haven't had to do it yet. The reason being that the low G is a thick string and should not be too low in the nut slot anyway or it may buzz.

Newportlocal
09-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Just bought two pairs of tenor strings. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Ken Middleton
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Just bought two pairs of tenor strings. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Thank you. I will be a couple of miles from Orange Country next week The world is getting to be a very small place.

Newportlocal
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Thank you. I will be a couple of miles from Orange Country next week The world is getting to be a very small place.

I have been to London. It is a small world. If you need anything while you are here let me know.

Ken Middleton
09-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I have been to London. It is a small world. If you need anything while you are here let me know.

Thanks for the off, but I am only there overnight. On my way up to Napa for the WCUF at the weekend.

However, I will be in Orange County for NAMM in January. Why not come to the Saturday night jam on January 26th, outside the Convention Center in Anaheim?

Newportlocal
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the off, but I am only there overnight. On my way up to Napa for the WCUF at the weekend.

However, I will be in Orange County for NAMM in January. Why not come to the Saturday night jam on January 26th, outside the Convention Center in Anaheim?

The small world continues. I went to college in Napa and my grandparents/mom had a nice estate there in St Helena for many years. As I am sure you know. You will have a great time there. I would love to go to the NAMM show it is literally right up the street from me. However, I am not a NAMM member and I think membership and access is restricted. If there was a way to go to the Saturday night jam I would love to go. Let me know if there is a way to work it out and I will definitely be there.

Ken Middleton
09-01-2012, 10:49 PM
The small world continues. I went to college in Napa and my grandparents/mom had a nice estate there in St Helena for many years. As I am sure you know. You will have a great time there. I would love to go to the NAMM show it is literally right up the street from me. However, I am not a NAMM member and I think membership and access is restricted. If there was a way to go to the Saturday night jam I would love to go. Let me know if there is a way to work it out and I will definitely be there.

NAMM have tightened up the rules on letting people in. Ohana won't be able to offer tickets next year.

However, the jam takes place on the grassy knoll outside the convention centre. All are welcome. There is usually about 20-30 of us there. Some of us then go for shrimp, at Bubba Gumps, just down the road.

Newportlocal
09-02-2012, 07:54 AM
NAMM have tightened up the rules on letting people in. Ohana won't be able to offer tickets next year.

However, the jam takes place on the grassy knoll outside the convention centre. All are welcome. There is usually about 20-30 of us there. Some of us then go for shrimp, at Bubba Gumps, just down the road.

Sounds like a good time. I guess I can look for grassy knolls outside the convention hall that night. What time does it start? I will plan to be there.

Ken Middleton
09-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Sounds like a good time. I guess I can look for grassy knolls outside the convention hall that night. What time does it start? I will plan to be there.

Normally around 6pm, I think.

Ken Middleton
10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
CUSTOM STRINGS

A lot of people have recently been ordering custom strings from me. Here are a few that are instantly available:

Baritone Custom - tenor tuning (unwound low G)
Tenor Custom - low tension
Tenor Custom - 8 string (G & C in octaves, E & A in unison)
Tenor Custom - dGBE (high D)

To find out about Custom Stings, just drop me an email.

There are eight sets of standard strings available now:

Soprano, Concert (high G), Concert (low G), Tenor (high G), Tenor (low G), Baritone (high D), Baritone (low D), 5 String (low and high G)

Find out about from my online store at http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx