PDA

View Full Version : D'Addario Pro Arte

lambchop
06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Anyone else try these strings D'Addario J71 Pro Arte strings? Got them on a whim and they seem to have tons of volume, yet are not too bright and super soft to the touch. The only issue I have is I don't hear as much sustain, but they seem to be getting better and more sustain-y as I used them. Your thoughts? Mike

Mandarb
06-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Love them.

laundromatt
06-20-2012, 08:57 AM
I was thinking about trying them next. Are any of the strings wound? How thin/thick are they?

Plainsong
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
They're too mellow for my tastes, but love the t2s. I have one set left, so I'll try them on my Risa with an Aquila red low g on the next string change and see what happens.

Ron
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I tried them and liked them. Good volume and sort of "chunky".
I think you're right about the sustain but it never bothered me because I generally just thrash out chords.
I now have Worth clears on and I THINK I prefer them (brighter, I think) but....does anyone else have the problem of forgetting what the last lot sounded like by the time you've got a new set on and setlled in?

Bao
06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
They are very mellow for my ukulele which at first, I loved but right now, I'm feeling for a new set of strings. Maybe it's just because my strings have been worn out though...

TCK
06-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Precisely why a video camera comes in handy- happens all the time

I think you're right about the sustain but it never bothered me because I generally just thrash out chords.
I now have Worth clears on and I THINK I prefer them (brighter, I think) but....does anyone else have the problem of forgetting what the last lot sounded like by the time you've got a new set on and setlled in?

stevepetergal
06-21-2012, 01:37 AM
I tried them on my Mya-Moe. I thought they had a very colorful sound. But, at least on that instrument, they were too quiet for my taste. I loved the sound, but wouldn't use them again.

kissing
06-21-2012, 03:25 AM
They are my absolute favorite strings, plenty of sustain, mellow, warmth and excellent for finger picking.

However, you have to put them on the right uke.
On a uke that doesn't "suit" them, they don't sound all that excellent.

gyosh
06-21-2012, 03:29 AM

I record sound samples and keep notes on my iPhone.

beginnerukeman143
06-21-2012, 03:49 AM
These are the strings I use on my 'Uke and love them. actually liked them more then some Aquilas I've used (Atleast on my uke)

laundromatt
06-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Are any of the strings wound? I've seen conflicting information online, and would appreciate hearing from actual users.

Dan Uke
06-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Are any of the strings wound? I've seen conflicting information online, and would appreciate hearing from actual users.

If you want a low g, it could be wound. I can't remember which one I got but Strings by Mail recommended one (wound) and it sounded good. I wouldn't double up on one of the strings as there woudn't be enough tension. Some people recommended J4303 but personally don't like it because it was wobbly compared to the other 3 strings. I would call Strings by Mail and get their recommendation.

Ron
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Precisely why a video camera comes in handy- happens all the time

That's a what? Videeeooo....?....camera...?...is that like a a box Brownie?

Ron
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I record sound samples and keep notes on my iPhone.
I gues I just ain't committed enough. I'll have to pull my finger out ;-)

kamaka_4_life
06-24-2012, 08:10 AM
I got them back on my Kamaka HF-3 and love it!! You can never go wrong with J71's :) but I must say, they don't sound great on "all" uke's, you kinda have to just mess around and see which strings sound best for your uke! I wanna get another set of the T2's lol since my other one's didn't last very long...

Scott S.
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM

I use a Pro Arte wound string for my low G. Its a light tension, silverplated wound, and blends quite nicely with the Pro Arte uke set, or other string sets as well. Its lower tension gives a feel and tone that works well on my tenor ukes. The D'Addario model # is J4304, and Just Strings, Strings By Mail etc. usually have these in stock as single strings.

Kanaka916
06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
The Pro Arte sets does not have any wound strings.

laundromatt
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the answers!