PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele World Congress 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hoosierhiver
06-21-2012, 04:05 AM
UKULELE WORLD CONGRESS 2013 * 5th Annual! *

May 31st-June 1st 2013
NEEDMORE (Brown County!) INDIANA

About 10 miles from Nashville Indiana off HWY45 at @ 4600 Plum Creek Rd.

Free! Compliments of Mainland Ukes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleWorldCongress

Most people show up Friday afternoon, but more and more people are showing up a day or two or three early.
You're welcome to come a day or two early, but you might end up helping with the mowing and set-up.
Some people don't leave till Monday or later!
There will be a potluck again Friday evening about 5 to 7pm. Mainland will have free water and drinks available until they run out.
There is an open mic each evening as well as a lot of other jammings all day and playing around the bonfire all night.

Nothing official planned for Sunday, but it's YOUR party so you guys can do what you want! Last year, Sunday had some nice low-key jamming and folks hanging around trying to find any excuse to prolong the experience.
The site for the UWC is a couple of big, well maintained fields with no permanent structures except for the stage. Both the fields are at least partially bordered by woods and a creek. Camping under shade is a good idea. There are alot of good on-site camping areas that weren't really explored last year, in the back of "parking field" there are some sweet drive up and camp spots that have shade for alot of the day.
There is basically an unlimited amount of parking and camping space. Portable toilets will be on site.
HOTELS:
Nashville is only about 10 minutes away from the UWC site and has a good variety of hotels and Bed and Breakfasts. Brown County Inn offered UWC'ers a special rate last year.
http://www.browncountyinn.com/

Here's some other options.

http://www.browncountylodging.com/lodging/list.html

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-nashville-indiana-IN419

http://saltcreekinn.com/

CAMPING:
Primative camping is free at the UWC site! (No showers sorry)
The local YMCA in Nashville sells $5 day passes, but I think it's free the first Saturday of the month.

PROVISIONS:
Nashville is not far and the Needmore store, good for some basics is only about a mile away.

Nashville has an IGA for food and other supplies.
There is also a CVS (cheap booze) and a liquor store in Nashville.

If you are flying ,Indianapolis International airport is about an hour or so away.

Google map to the site:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...66,0.2635&z=13

ALSO: Lil' Rev will be performing at the Brown County Playhouse in Nashville Saturday June 1st.
Workshop from 10:30 till 12, Concert 2pm to 3:30pm $27.50 for these two sessions.
Here's the link, http://www.browncountyplayhouse.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=105

See you there! Mike

Mandarb
06-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks for hosting again!

CoLmes
06-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Ohhh boy, already on its way.

Skitzic
06-21-2012, 05:21 AM
If the world doesn't end, I intend to be there.

consitter
06-21-2012, 05:22 AM

Same here.

sukie
06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
I'll be there, same as Tammy.
Thanks for the official heads up. It was already penned in on my calendar!

seeso
06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
What's this UWC of which you speak?

salukulady
06-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Ready to consume the kool-aid. Get in line kiddies.

bbycrts
06-21-2012, 05:34 AM
On the calendar, first funds already in the piggy bank. Nothing - not even some damn niece's wedding - is going to keep me away this year!

Mim
06-21-2012, 05:46 AM
I had a dream the other night that you announced the next UWC to be 2 weeks after UWC ended. And of course I HAD to go! Hahaha! So, YES, I am THAT excited about 2013!

OldePhart
06-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Woohoo! Now that it's official I can put in my vacation slip!

Hopefully I'll have the credit card bills from this year's trip paid off by next year... ;)

I wonder who's going to break Jen and the Dawgs' record for early arrival next year...

John

UncleElvis
06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Already booked!

I think we should get that Seeso guy to come. I think he's enjoy it.

UKISOCIETY
06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Where's the open mic sign up sheet?

Ukulelerob
06-21-2012, 08:53 AM
You know I'm in Mike! I'm ready to go right now!

ukeeku
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I will start bugging people now.
I challenege everyone to get one new person to come to UWC2013.
I will try and get Eddie Veddar or Billy Corigan (Yes the lead singer from smashing pumpkins plays uke)
:smileybounce:

seeso
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Just an honest question - is there a special reason why it has been scheduled the week before the first full weekend in June?

CoLmes
06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I will try and get Eddie Veddar or Billy Corigan (Yes the lead singer from smashing pumpkins plays uke)

I am trying to get the majority of the NJ uke group to come down for this.

sukie
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Just an honest question - is there a special reason why it has been scheduled the week before the first full weekend in June?

Maybe it's really the first weekend after Memorial Day? Just thinking out loud.

sukie
06-21-2012, 11:46 AM
You're on....

If I bug Jake (like I know him, haha) think he'd come?

OldePhart
06-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Maybe it's really the first weekend after Memorial Day? Just thinking out loud.

Not to speak for Mike but that's my bet. It works out really well for a lot of us because we can take four days vacation to get nine days off.

Tack
06-21-2012, 12:54 PM

:wtf: Eddie Veddar plays the uke!!!????

Who'ld a thunk it :p

lonerhino
06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Woohoo! I can't wait! Count me in. I will bring at least 2 more ukulaliens! They saw all the photos from everyone and really want to camp!

musicmonsterw
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Woohoo! I can't wait! Count me in. I will bring at least 2 more ukulaliens! They saw all the photos from everyone and really want to camp!

I never actually left.

chindog
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Me too! I can even come early next year, because of the dates! I always have to work on the first weekday of each month, but I can take off at the end of the month.

YogaJen
06-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh yay oh wow oh hallelujah!
I am so already there :) :) :)
I've submitted a request for slightly warmer weather this time - the response came back - que sera sera.
Whatever will be will be absolutely unbelievably amazingly fabulous.
Thanks for the lowdown Mike - it's a freezing windy grey Sydney today, and this news has brought the sun out in my world !

ukeeku
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
You're on....

If I bug Jake (like I know him, haha) think he'd come?
Have Dominator ask him!!!

ADD
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Absolutely will be there. This year had 2 friends come and they loved it. Next year hope to add another 2.

gyosh
06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Would love to attend, but it falls to close to the end of the school year for me :(

. . . maybe some day I'll be ::sick:: for a long weekend :)

veep
06-22-2012, 04:04 AM
I have been told I go next year or else.

pootsie
06-22-2012, 04:33 AM
I promise to stick around this time ;)
Thanks, Mike! I'm sorry I had to leave early and miss all (the rest of) the fun!

Oh, BTW I'm loving my new Mainland slot-head uke!

tigersister
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
It's on my calendar. I may even drag my mando-playing mate to this. He occasionally picks up a uke and works out a melody or two.

SailQwest
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM

What she said.

Pueo
06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I will be there. Nanilei may come to Indiana with me as well. I cannot promise she will make it to the field though.

Ukulelerob
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I will be there. Nanilei may come to Indiana with me as well. I cannot promise she will make it to the field though.

She needs to at least say hi to us.

Ukulelerob
06-22-2012, 10:56 AM
What she said.

Don't make me come and get ya!

Pondoro
06-22-2012, 02:31 PM

It is always on the weekend of my wedding anniversary. My wife says, "Just go, we'll celebrate our anniversary later." Thus it allows her to show her amazing graciousness.

RyRod
06-22-2012, 04:23 PM

This....

UWC 2013 might be harder for me to swing because it falls on the last business day of the month and I'd get back the first business day of the next month. Why did I pick accounting?.....Oh that's right, to get the chicks.... :rolleyes:

ugh. we'll see what the bosses say when it comes time to schedule vacation days in January.

It was too fun this year not to make it again.

ukeeku
06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
So, who is with me to rent a blacked out van and kidnap Veep for this one?

ADD
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Definitely sounds like a good idea. Then he'll get to sing "ELVIRA" on the UWC stage, where he needs to do it and not just on the Mini-Jam.

Hippie Dribble
06-22-2012, 10:08 PM
me and eugenie are saving our pennies and gonna bust down every wall to make our first USA holiday at UWC next year. thanks Mike for all you do with this...the vicarious experience of everyone's stories, pics and vids has driven me nuts for the past 2 years

ADD
06-22-2012, 10:43 PM
You'll love it. Gotta come. Would be so wonderful to meet you two in person.

veep
06-23-2012, 03:07 AM

You know Where to find me lol.

kvehe
06-23-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm in! Maybe by then I'll have learned to play! LOL. Of course, I said that four months ago when I registered for the Mighty MO Ukefest.

Kathryn

musicmonsterw
06-23-2012, 07:09 AM

I'm in. Have you done recon on his location yet?

ukeeku
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm in. Have you done recon on his location yet?

Unlike normal victims of kidnapping, Veep will give us his address willingly :)

musicmonsterw
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Unlike normal victims of kidnapping, Veep will give us his address willingly :)

According to my field guide operations handbook, this would technically be a transport, not a kidnapping.

salukulady
06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
According to my field guide operations handbook, this would technically be a transport, not a kidnapping.

But let's bind and gag him for fun anyway.

musicmonsterw
06-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Agreed .

thomdawg
06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Well.... we think we are comin' on the 1st of May next year

Woohoo! Now that it's official I can put in my vacation slip!

Hopefully I'll have the credit card bills from this year's trip paid off by next year... ;)

I wonder who's going to break Jen and the Dawgs' record for early arrival next year...

John

ukeeku
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Can we hog tie him?

ukeeku
06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Well.... we think we are comin' on the 1st of May next year

At what point do you start paying rent?

salukulady
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
H
Can we hog tie him? of course.

UncleElvis
06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
me and eugenie are saving our pennies and gonna bust down every wall to make our first USA holiday at UWC next year. thanks Mike for all you do with this...the vicarious experience of everyone's stories, pics and vids has driven me nuts for the past 2 years

You SO need to come, brother! I need to jam witcha!

UncleElvis
06-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Count me in!

MattLindahl
06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Who has a blacked out windowed van to rent?

Count me in!

MattLindahl
06-25-2012, 02:04 AM
For the record, I had a six hour UWC dream last night. There were two locations and I rode my bike into Nashville to get shoes for people from a thrift store. Because it was raining, and I thought, "people like dry shoes." Had the thought dream that it seemed like UWC 4 was just a minute ago, but decided that time flies when having fun. I didn't see anyone specifically~no diamond harvesting by Zoe and Seeso~but it felt like UWC. At any rate, we will be setting up our tent next week and will patiently wait until the rest of ya'll show up...

salukulady
06-25-2012, 03:42 AM
Dry shoes are a good thing. Thanks Matt.

seeso
06-25-2012, 04:46 AM
For the record, I had a six hour UWC dream last night. There were two locations and I rode my bike into Nashville to get shoes for people from a thrift store. Because it was raining, and I thought, "people like dry shoes." Had the thought dream that it seemed like UWC 4 was just a minute ago, but decided that time flies when having fun. I didn't see anyone specifically~no diamond harvesting by Zoe and Seeso~but it felt like UWC. At any rate, we will be setting up our tent next week and will patiently wait until the rest of ya'll show up...

What, no socks? Thanks a lot.

coolkayaker1
06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Is someone going to invite Bosko and Honey?

hoosierhiver
06-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Is someone going to invite Bosko and Honey?

We should all invite them!

OldePhart
06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

I can see if the guys hovering out back of my house will let us borrow their black helicopter...

MattLindahl
06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Absolutely my pleasure.

MattLindahl
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
What, no socks? Thanks a lot.

I'm about to take a nap....Ankle, mid-calf, or knee-high? Color preference?

coolkayaker1
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Another Bosko and Honey fan, Mike.

Hey, this sure is a wonderful gesture for you to host this now-famous event. I mean, things like this just are not done in this day and age. It's above and beyond. It's just super kind, that's all. It's a live free and let live attitude, and you shows it in every post you make on UU. It's special.

I have not yet attended, but would like to in 2013. Thanks for announcing it so early...helps with planning. Wow, 5th anniversary. Who woulda thunk it?

hoosierhiver
06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
I can't believe the next one will be #5 already. UWC! UWC!

thomdawg
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Aaaaaa, say Matt, are ya setting up your tent early or late in the week next week.......

MattLindahl
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Aaaaaa, say Matt, are ya setting up your tent early or late in the week next week.......
We're early! Pulling in this evening...

chindog
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Unless they have foot oil in them.

Skitzic
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Unless they have foot oil in them.

Don't mix your foot oil kids. You'll get foot fungus.

UncleElvis
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Don't play coy. You know you know where's to find one for cheap!

thomdawg
06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
We're early! Pulling in this evening...

Oh well.... I'll turn the crown of first on the field to you next year!

Ukester Brown
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Putting it on my calendar- again! Thanks for the early notice on the dates. It helps me get the dates on my vacation planning at work too.

HarmonicaBruce
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
I first heard about UWC about 2 weeks before the 2012 event, and I read all 500 posts in the thread, it took 2 days. UWC is one of my favorite events, and I plan on attending and arriving early. Thanks for having the event, and announcing it so early. Who knows, I may even play a little uke while I'm there.

salukulady
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I first heard about UWC about 2 weeks before the 2012 event, and I read all 500 posts in the thread, it took 2 days. UWC is one of my favorite events, and I plan on attending and arriving early. Thanks for having the event, and announcing it so early. Who knows, I may even play a little uke while I'm there.Just don't let it interfere with your drinking.

ukemunga
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Who knows, I may even play a little uke while I'm there.

Hell, play a big one too!!! ;)

I was in the Ukemungamobile (Scion xB) camping beside your big arse van the first night I was there. Then you drove off and David Gill and his nephew moved in.

And I wanted to bump this thread. :)

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
...Who knows, I may even play a little uke while I'm there.

And next year I might try to find me one of them big-arsed harmonicas - I'd never seen one before! I kid you not, folks, if you missed it he had a harmonica that was longer than a concert uke with holes I could have parked my Kia Sportage in!

ukeeku
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Just got back from DEFCON (Hacker convention) and they had somethings that made me really love UWC.
1. they have security called goons who are always pissed off.
2. many of the people who have been to DEFCON before are not very welcoming. UWC we all hugs and the new comers are welcomed with open arms.
3. At DEFCON people are trying to destroy your stuff and you can't leave anything just sitting around. Wireless internet = hacked device.
4. 13,000 people makes it a little hard to breathe

Cool things about DEFCON.
1. Every person on stage drinks...alot
2. The badges are 8 core computers with a C64 emulator
3. it was in vegas
4. When you do something they like (The goons or presenters) they give you swag (They had really cool little plastic things that went on your badge)
5. they had villages for people to go to and explore things of interest (Lock picking, hardware, talks about really evil explots and ideas), along with the normal big talks with the head of the NSA

What does this have to do with UWC?
just gave me some ideas to bring up. I love the vibe and change could be bad. But what if we had a small thing (Bracelet, sticker...) for those who got on stage? People there who are available to ask questions and be the official greeters to make sure everyone felt welcom and knew the lay of the land?

Just food for thought.

OldePhart
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
People there who are available to ask questions and be the official greeters to make sure everyone felt welcom and knew the lay of the land?

But...we do, man...thaz you and Alan and the Captain and... :)

John

salukulady
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
To ukeeku's point, don't you do a two song at a time stage thing? Why not give a small uke case sticker to anyone who does two songs solo on stage...sort of like football helmets when running backs get TDs or lineman make a sack. The real stage champs of UWC will have stickers like a Heismann trophy winner. And the newbies can still gloat with one or two stickers.

http://mvictors.com/?p=1077Nah, the sign up and performances are about everyone who wants to play on stage getting to play. All three years I've been there an insentive for peeps to get on stage is not necessary. From 5 to 2 or 3 every night the stage is full of back to back performers without needing anyone needing to perform more than 2 songs each, there aren't enough hours in a 12 hour period for more performances.

Also, if we get too organized UWC might turn into a typical uke festival. We don't want that. Keep it loose.

Ukulelerob
08-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Nah, the sign up and performances are about everyone who wants to play on stage getting to play. All three years I've been there an insentive for peeps to get on stage is not necessary. From 5 to 2 or 3 every night the stage is full of back to back performers without needing anyone needing to perform more than 2 songs each, there aren't enough hours in a 12 hour period for more performances.

Also, if we get too organized UWC might turn into a typical uke festival. We don't want that. Keep it loose.

I can agree with Sally here. I think UWC is near perfect. Is this by accident or Mike H's planning? Don't know don't care. Just keep it going Mike, I'll be there.

ukeeku
08-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I can agree with Sally here. I think UWC is near perfect. Is this by accident or Mike H's planning? Don't know don't care. Just keep it going Mike, I'll be there.
I agree also, they were thoughts running around in my head. thank you for the input. I just want to make sure it is awesome for all. and I know, don't mess with a working thing.

philpot
08-04-2012, 07:23 AM

Alright, if you're going to be there, I have to come. It's official guys.

Ukulelerob
08-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree also, they were thoughts running around in my head. thank you for the input. I just want to make sure it is awesome for all. and I know, don't mess with a working thing.

It was just my opinion Tim. That's all, for whatever it's worth.

salukulady
08-04-2012, 12:51 PM
It was just my opinion Tim. That's all, for whatever it's worth.

Same here....just my opinion.

I always try to bring potlatches (a potlatch is a small inexpensive item from your town or state or just something you've made) to pass out to everyone. In years past I've brought stickers, buttons and homemade things. Many other friends have done this also. Stickers for hard cases or buttons for gig bags are always liked. Usually 100 items are enough. One year Lona B. crocheted really pretty necklaces. It can be something simple. Mailman made the very coolest keychains one year.

Anyway, this is something I look forward to every year, the exchange of goodies from my friends, old and new.

Asrafrate
08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
This'll be one for next year I think. Sounds like an amazing event. Do you guys share photos, videos etc of the event while it's happening, and afterwards to?

If some of us can't be there, we might as well live vicariously through those of you who can!

Freeda
08-04-2012, 01:42 PM
This'll be one for next year I think. Sounds like an amazing event. Do you guys share photos, videos etc of the event while it's happening, and afterwards to?

If some of us can't be there, we might as well live vicariously through those of you who can!

There is no signal out at the field but I uploaded pics to my instagram nightly at the hotel.

UncleElvis
08-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I think it's due to Mike's very intentional LACK of planning. "The rest will just... happen" has worked wonderfully so far.

Now, if someone wanted to take it upon themselves to put together a bunch of stickers that THEY wanted to give out to folks that performed, then I think THAT would be in keeping with the spirit of UWC. Something "official" wouldn't be... mainly because there's NOTHING official about UWC.
It's just about people coming together and doing nice things for and with each other.

UncleElvis
08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Alright, if you're going to be there, I have to come. It's official guys.

GOOD!

This, too, has to happen.

UncleElvis
08-04-2012, 02:33 PM

If I haven't said it before, I'm gonna say it now...

THIS?

It has to happen.

UncleElvis
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Same here....just my opinion.

I always try to bring potlatches (a potlatch is a small inexpensive item from your town or state or just something you've made) to pass out to everyone. In years past I've brought stickers, buttons and homemade things. Many other friends have done this also. Stickers for hard cases or buttons for gig bags are always liked. Usually 100 items are enough. One year Lona B. crocheted really pretty necklaces. It can be something simple. Mailman made the very coolest keychains one year.

Anyway, this is something I look forward to every year, the exchange of goodies from my friends, old and new.

THIS!

Exactly this! I love ALL my mementos from the two UWCs I've been to.
I love the memories even more, and these help remind me of the amazing people and joyful feelings that happen there.

Asrafrate
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
There is no signal out at the field but I uploaded pics to my instagram nightly at the hotel.

I'll take anything at this stage Freeda :)
Feeling just a tad lonely all the way out in this little corner of the world!

salukulady
08-04-2012, 08:57 PM

YouTube search UWC and you will find many videos.

thomdawg
08-12-2012, 05:02 AM

UWC should just be a date and a sign up sheet... it has seemed to work in the past!

sukie
08-12-2012, 07:16 AM
A sign up sheet? Too funny. Sounds like too much work!

On another note:

Is anyone willing to chip in a couple bucks with me to get a new bridge built for crossing the creek? I'm not sure the current one will make it through the winter. Maybe someone handy with tools could help?

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Here's a thought for the next UWC:

Bang up a big screen next to the stage, plug a PC into it and figure a way of getting it hooked up to the 'net (lots of wireless repeaters), and have people "guest starring" from the USA and the rest of the world via Skype.

thomdawg
08-12-2012, 08:21 AM

On another note:

Is anyone willing to chip in a couple bucks with me to get a new bridge built for crossing the creek? I'm not sure the current one will make it through the winter. Maybe someone handy with tools could help?

I'll be there early again next year and always willing to help! The additions of the lights last year was great.... a new bridge in 2013!

UncleElvis
08-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Bang up a big screen next to the stage, plug a PC into it and figure a way of getting it hooked up to the 'net (lots of wireless repeaters), and have people "guest starring" from the USA and the rest of the world via Skype.

For me, I'm thinking the other way 'round would be the way to go. If we're going to hook up the internet, we should shoot out a live feed for the folks that can't make it.
UWC is about being together. The Open Mic is awesome and I love it, but it's not about the performances, it's about loving each other and supporting those that are up there. At least for me, it is.

Plus, it gets so packed with people, there's no real room for something like that, y'know?

UncleElvis
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
UWC should just be a date and a sign up sheet... it has seemed to work in the past!

"The rest will work itself out"...

Amen, brother.

UncleElvis
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM

On another note:

HA!

And yes. I'd be willing to help out however I can.
I plan on getting there on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, so I'd be happy to help.

OldePhart
08-12-2012, 12:17 PM

I'll probably be getting in early again next year and I'm half-planning on getting a pick-em-up truck between now and then - if that works out I'd be happy to throw some 2 X 8 treated timbers and whatnot in the back.

On a side note we probably need to either make it strong enough to drive over or narrow enough that no one will be tempted to try... LOL

John

olgoat52
08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Forget about it....

I'll be there early again next year and always willing to help! The additions of the lights last year was great.... a new bridge in 2013!

sukie
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Forget about it....

Why? The lights were fabulous. Although the excuse I used the first year about being too dark to see the music doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the support about the bridge.

salukulady
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM

5 year anniversary......a new bridge.....there might be a t-shirt theme in there somewhere.

salukulady
08-12-2012, 01:18 PM
For me, I'm thinking the other way 'round would be the way to go. If we're going to hook up the internet, we should shoot out a live feed for the folks that can't make it.
UWC is about being together. The Open Mic is awesome and I love it, but it's not about the performances, it's about loving each other and supporting those that are up there. At least for me, it is.

Plus, it gets so packed with people, there's no real room for something like that, y'know?this. If you wanna perform you just gotta come. It's all about the live show. Connections out there are crazy spotty at best. Most peeps leave their phones off, too many live people you wanna hang with. And there is never enough time for everyone to get on stage as it is.

sukie
08-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Here's a thought Big K --
Come to UWC. After Hawaii this fall just come to the Mainland. Bum around (is that an ok British term?) for the rest of the time. UWC is pretty fun.

I am no computer person, but some videos make it to YouTube pretty quickly. How they do it I don't know, but they do.

thomdawg
08-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Forget about it....

Well gosh TC... I wasn't volunteering you... but that is a great idea! So do you want me to help you or can I just drink beer and tell you my thoughts on how you are building the bridge!

salukulady
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
I am no computer person, but some videos make it to YouTube pretty quickly. How they do it I don't know, but they do.
Recording on an iPhone and putting it on YouTube is super easy, easier than on computer. The hardest part is finding a signal. Next year I will show you how Sukie, if you want.

salukulady
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Why? The lights were fabulous. Although the excuse I used the first year about being too dark to see the music doesn't work anymore.

The lights were AWESOME this year. Loved the added lights.

olgoat52
08-13-2012, 02:58 AM
That would be called BAU ("business as usual") Thom. :)

Well gosh TC... I wasn't volunteering you... but that is a great idea! So do you want me to help you or can I just drink beer and tell you my thoughts on how you are building the bridge!

olgoat52
08-13-2012, 03:02 AM
My "forget about it" was not about the idea. Although it probably read that way. Sorry about that. :)

I still have mailman's tuning peg hanging from the case for my go to tenor uke. Thanks Don (for making them) and Sukie (for getting Don to give me one.) That was great.

hoosierhiver
08-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Definitely a new bridge is needed. If it's not done in advance, I'll at least try to get some wood down there the week before.

sukie
08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Definitely a new bridge is needed. If it's not done in advance, I'll at least try to get some wood down there the week before.
I am getting volunteers here to work on it. Looks like Tim Clark can build and ThomDawg is the supervisor. OldPhart will help with deliveries, maybe. Me? I'm a girl -- I will write a check.

Although I am good with power tools. Really.

cheekmeat
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
'Tis in my planner! This increases the odds of my attendance.

I'm so tired of missing these things!

ADD
08-13-2012, 03:32 PM

On another note:

Happy to chip in for that bridge. Wasn't sure it would even hold me. Very unsteady.

olgoat52
08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Power tools with D-Cell batteries.. :rolleyes:

I am getting volunteers here to work on it. Looks like Tim Clark can build and ThomDawg is the supervisor. OldPhart will help with deliveries, maybe. Me? I'm a girl -- I will write a check.

olgoat52
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok. I'm in. Are we talking "covered bridges of Brown county" here? :rolleyes:

http://www.stew-art.com/images/Madison%20County.jpg

olgoat52
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Better yet.. http://planetoddity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/dangerous-rope-bridge-1.jpg

UncleElvis
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM

There's going to need to be a troubadour there, and Thomdawg is going to be busy with a beer in one hand and he'll need the other for gesticulation, so I suppose I'm going to have to find a place to lay my narrow pink butt and provide musical accompaniment...

*sigh*

The things I do for you people.

UncleElvis
08-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Better yet.. http://planetoddity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/dangerous-rope-bridge-1.jpg

Even though I've been twice and seen the real bridge with my own eyes...

this is still kinda how I picture it in my head.

salukulady
08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
There's going to need to be a troubadour there, and Thomdawg is going to be busy with a beer in one hand and he'll need the other for gesticulation, so I suppose I'm going to have to find a place to lay my narrow pink butt and provide musical accompaniment...

*sigh*

The things I do for you people.
I make a good beer wench. Cerveza's with a smile.

The Big Kahuna
08-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's a thought Big K --
Come to UWC. After Hawaii this fall just come to the Mainland. Bum around (is that an ok British term?) for the rest of the time. UWC is pretty fun.

Oh how I wish. Somehow, I don't think my dogs would appreciate being left any longer.

Skitzic
08-14-2012, 03:23 AM
HA!

And yes. I'd be willing to help out however I can.
I plan on getting there on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, so I'd be happy to help.

What day is this bridge being built? After the tent fiasco this I have to see.

The Big Kahuna
08-14-2012, 03:46 AM
I've got a mental picture of the barn building scene from Witness. But with more blood and beer.

Doug W
08-14-2012, 04:56 AM
I have ended up on call for work for the last couple of years during UWC. Now I am starting a new job on Wednesday. The one thing I told my new boss is that my daughter and I are going to Needmore this year and I must have that weekend off.

Maybe we can help with the "bridge to somewhere".

thomdawg
08-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Ohhh I do like this one! It looks like it has two lanes.... does that mean Yogajen will have to walk on the right side?

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 07:07 AM
I make a good beer wench. Cerveza's with a smile.

See how helpful we are?

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 07:09 AM
What day is this bridge being built? After the tent fiasco this I have to see.

Hey, it got made, didn't it?
And everyone felt good doing it, right?
(I love how that worked out: "We're going to sit here and laugh at you."
*Three minutes of watching me try to figure it out*
"Oh, for... Just give it to me. I'll do it!")

seeso
08-14-2012, 07:10 AM
I will absolutely help with construction of a new bridge.

salukulady
08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
See how helpful we are?

Exactly. Music and beer are necessary. Someone has to keep up morale.

sukie
08-14-2012, 08:00 AM
I've got a mental picture of the barn building scene from Witness. But with more blood and beer.

Are you sure you can't come and see it?

Tammy, Sally -- we must bring our tiaras for the bridge christening! I will bring champagne! Oh! And we need a ribbon and a scissors.

Skitzic
08-14-2012, 08:01 AM

I would like to point out that I sat there and laughed at you the whole time. :D

And hey, with all this bridge building you'll have a proper hammer for your tent stakes next year.

Skitzic
08-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Are you sure you can't come and see it?

Tammy, Sally -- we must bring our tiaras for the bridge christening! I will bring champagne! Oh! And we need a ribbon and a scissors.

If I recall correctly I was the only one who wore it last year. I was that girl. :p

We need to acquire some obscenely large scissors. Ooh oooh I got it! Hedge clippers!

sukie
08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
If I recall correctly I was the only one who wore it last year. I was that girl. :p

We need to acquire some obscenely large scissors. Ooh oooh I got it! Hedge clippers!
No, you most certainly do not recall correctly. "We" were "those" girls. Hey though, I wear it with pride.

Skitzic
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
No, you most certainly do not recall correctly. "We" were "those" girls. Hey though, I wear it with pride.

I don't remember you wearing your tiara last year...I didn't think I drank that much? Maybe I just didn't see you?

salukulady
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't remember you wearing your tiara last year...I didn't think I drank that much? Maybe I just didn't see you?

I forgot mine.

This will not happen again.

philpot
08-14-2012, 04:10 PM
If there is building going on, I'll gladly help out.

Now I have to decide whether to sleep in my car or haul my gigantic tent out there... Wait! Is there any good place to hang a hammock? I've used that as a tent alternative a few times when the weather is fair.

ukeeku
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Do not let me near a bridge. I have a habit of burning them.

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 05:06 PM
I will absolutely help with construction of a new bridge.

Does this mean you're gonna get there early?
Even with the drive to Chitown and the next day, I STILL didn't get enough Seeso time! *grin*

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
I would like to point out that I sat there and laughed at you the whole time. :D

And hey, with all this bridge building you'll have a proper hammer for your tent stakes next year.

BAH! Why use hammer when rock is there? ME USE ROCK!

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 05:08 PM
If there is building going on, I'll gladly help out.

Now I have to decide whether to sleep in my car or haul my gigantic tent out there... Wait! Is there any good place to hang a hammock? I've used that as a tent alternative a few times when the weather is fair.

Bring the tent AND the hammock. That way, you're (forgive me) covered.

UncleElvis
08-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Do not let me near a bridge. I have a habit of burning them.

What you did there? I saw it.

MattLindahl
08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Bridge Builder reporting in.

seeso
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Does this mean you're gonna get there early?
Even with the drive to Chitown and the next day, I STILL didn't get enough Seeso time! *grin*

I do want to get there early. How early? I don't know.

hoosierhiver
08-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I do want to get there early. How early? I don't know.

We are slowly turning you into a hillbilly.

seeso
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
We are slowly turning you into a hillbilly.

Maybe I should get some overalls.

Ukulelerob
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Maybe I should get some bib overalls.

Fixed it for ya.

olgoat52
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Maybe I should get some overalls.

How am I gonna tell the difference between you and Alex?? Oh yeah, he's the cute one.. Nevermind.

salukulady
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
How am I gonna tell the difference between you and Alex?? Oh yeah, he's the cute one.. Nevermind.

Alex is the one who gets all the girls.

Mandarb
08-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Yeah - I couldn't bear to watch you suffer any longer.

Skitzic
08-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah - I couldn't bear to watch you suffer any longer.

Yeah and it only took like 10 people to figure out how the fly or whatever it was went on. :D

Skitzic
08-24-2012, 07:58 PM
I would like to make a humble suggestion for the t-shirt next year. Well actually, 3. I think we should commemorate the new bridge somehow.

My first idea was-

UWC 2013
Then a picture of a ukulele with a bridge across the sound hole
Building New Bridges

Or-

UWC Bridges Gaps
'13
So it would be like a tag line on the picture

I like my last idea the best-

A picture of 5 ukes
Then a picture of a bridge
Maybe it's overly simple, but I like the idea of an inside nod. No one else needs to get it. :)

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

salukulady
08-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I like these.

Ukulelerob
08-25-2012, 06:41 AM
A "Bridge Over Untroubled Water".

Sally ask me to quote this on this thread.

sukie
08-25-2012, 07:49 AM
I would like to make a humble suggestion for the t-shirt next year. Well actually, 3. I think we should commemorate the new bridge somehow.

My first idea was-

UWC 2013
Then a picture of a ukulele with a bridge across the sound hole
Building New Bridges

Or-

UWC Bridges Gaps
'13
So it would be like a tag line on the picture

I like my last idea the best-

A picture of 5 ukes
Then a picture of a bridge
Maybe it's overly simple, but I like the idea of an inside nod. No one else needs to get it. :)

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I'm boring. I like the first idea.
Question: why 5 ukuleles for the third idea?

salukulady
08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm boring. I like the first idea.
Question: why 5 ukuleles for the third idea?

5th UWC. .

CoLmes
08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
How about 5 ukes AS the bridge?

hoosierhiver
08-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Who's going to be the troll that lives under the bridge?

CoLmes
08-27-2012, 05:33 AM

Bhatman .

sukie
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
5th UWC. .
I get it. Dah.

olgoat52
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
What's Bushman doing nowdays? :rolleyes:

OldePhart
08-28-2012, 06:57 AM

What's Bushman doing nowdays? :rolleyes:

And...I think we have a winner...

Ukulelerob
09-08-2012, 02:57 PM
A "Bridge Over Untroubled Water".

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/178935_3558880283192_1675297955_n.jpg

olgoat52
09-08-2012, 07:24 PM
If you just went out there, I wish I'd known. I could have used some measurements. Ah well.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/178935_3558880283192_1675297955_n.jpg

salukulady
09-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh, this is getting exciting. I must come early just to watch the construction. You will have some young shirtless guys there, right?

olgoat52
09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
These are uke players remember....

Oh, this is getting exciting. I must come early just to watch the construction. You will have some young shirtless guys there, right?

salukulady
09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
These are uke players remember....

If I was on my computers I'd post a few shirtless yummies from UWC's past.

Ukulelerob
09-09-2012, 02:37 AM
If you just went out there, I wish I'd known. I could have used some measurements. Ah well.

No I haven't been there since June. The photo is from Jeffy's (Lonerhino) Facebook pix.

ukeeku
09-10-2012, 03:08 AM

I might be able to stop by on my way to Columbus, IN (David gill has some ukes for my friends shop in Wheaton, IL)
What in all do you need measured?

Ukulelerob
09-10-2012, 03:21 AM
I might be able to stop by on my way to Columbus, IN (David gill has some ukes for my friends shop in Wheaton, IL)

Mike could probably run a tape measure across it? I mean, he lives more or less across the street.
If I had to make a guess I would say 30" to three feet across and about ten feet long.

seeso
09-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Mike could probably run a tape measure across it? I mean, he lives more or less across the street.
If I had to make a guess I would say 30" to three feet across and about ten feet long.

Yeah, just ask Mike to measure.

coolkayaker1
09-10-2012, 04:55 AM

What's the name of your friend's ukulele shop in Wheaton, IL?

ukeeku
09-10-2012, 05:40 AM

Suburban Music

OldePhart
09-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Suburban Music

So...does he operate out of the back of a Suburban? :)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

olgoat52
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Did Frank Lloyd Wright guess?? I think not Sir! :rolleyes:

TCK
09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Dang it...last week of school. Oh well, I have taken one day off in 15 years and Skidoo says this is on my bucket list. Done.

ukuleledaveey
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I would soooooo love to come to this, maybe one day (fingers 'n toes crossed) i will get the opportunity :)

Ukulelerob
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Did Frank Lloyd Wright guess?? I think not Sir! :rolleyes:

You can make it a little large. We have the room.
Of course we may have to whistle while building it like "The Bridge on the River Kwai".

Ukulelerob
09-11-2012, 12:42 AM
You can make it a little large. We have the room.
Of course we may have to whistle while building it like "The Bridge on the River Kwai".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=83bmsluWHZc&feature=endscreen

philpot
09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=83bmsluWHZc&feature=endscreen

That's only the greatest movie ever.

hoosierhiver
09-12-2012, 08:28 AM
You guys are talking about Colonel Boogie's March
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSp2FlqspjI

I'll get down there and measure the bridge, it's got to be light enough to move. The creek floods in the winter and the bridge gets gunked up and clogs the creek.

philpot
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM
On a side note, I caught myself counting out the months till UWC earlier today. I'm super psyched to get to hang out with all of you guys finally :D

Ukulelerob
09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
On a side note, I caught myself counting out the months till UWC earlier today. I'm super psyched to get to hang out with all of you guys finally :D

I don't know what part of TN you are in but Matt L comes up from around Nashville, TN. Maybe you could look him up and see about sharing the ride? Just a thought.

philpot
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't know what part of TN you are in but Matt L comes up from around Nashville, TN. Maybe you could look him up and see about sharing the ride? Just a thought.

Alas, I'm about 5+ hours east. Might be a touch out of the way.

olgoat52
09-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Glad you mentioned that Mike. I'm surprised. I never would have figured that creek got that high.

Tim

You guys are talking about Colonel Boogie's March
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSp2FlqspjI

I'll get down there and measure the bridge, it's got to be light enough to move. The creek floods in the winter and the bridge gets gunked up and clogs the creek.

salukulady
09-13-2012, 07:01 AM
I vote for a swinging rope bridge. Now that would be entertaining.

OldePhart
09-13-2012, 07:08 AM
I vote for a swinging rope bridge. Now that would be entertaining.

Worth setting up a video camera, for sure...especially later in the evenings...

ukeeku
09-13-2012, 07:33 AM
This time Tim, you need to recruit young folks to do the hard labor (Lifting, screwing,....)
Don't want you to kill your back this time. I will be there Thursday night to help for sure. I will physically restrain you if I have to.

Ukulelerob
09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
This time Tim, you need to recruit young folks to do the hard labor (Lifting, screwing,....)
Don't want you to kill your back this time. I will be there Thursday night to help for sure. I will physically restrain you if I have to.

This is probably right. I'm too old to screw anyway.

Freeda
09-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Some of us old folks can still handle it.

olgoat52
09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Ahh . Young Folk.. you means the ones that couldn't find their ass with both hands and a mirror??? Clint relied on Smith and Wesson... I rely on Black and Decker. or Porter and Cable.. can't remember... where's my.. ah shit..

ukeeku
10-02-2012, 04:51 AM
ok.. This Saturday is the Normal IL Jam!!
www.NormalUkeJam.com for more info
We have an added bonus of having the UWC traveling ukulele banjo coming for those who have been or are going to UWC. We can play it and put our mark on it as well. Don't miss your chance.

Skitzic
10-02-2012, 06:09 AM

...more like a troubled bridge over a waterless trench...

OldePhart
10-02-2012, 06:57 AM
...more like a troubled bridge over a waterless trench...

Aye...you've not been there when it rained, then, 'ave ye laddie? :)

Ukulelerob
10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Some of us old folks can still handle it.

Says the lovely lady, who is younger that my kids.

Skitzic
10-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Aye...you've not been there when it rained, then, 'ave ye laddie? :)

Nope. Just the 2,000 degree heat, and below freezing temperatures. No rain.

salukulady
10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Nope. Just the 2,000 degree heat, and below freezing temperatures. No rain.

You missed the rain in 2011?

Ukulelerob
10-02-2012, 02:42 PM

It was Saturday night right? The lights went out and the everyone played on.

Ukulelerob
10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
It was Saturday night right? The lights went out and the everyone played on.

I was on stage behind the Dogs.

UncleElvis
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM

and 2012? I slept through most of it (benefit of camping! Rain + tent = comatose Uncle E!), but remember it well!

UncleElvis
10-02-2012, 02:56 PM
2011 rain was magical.
I can't play "Dock Of The Bay" without thinking about it.

OldePhart
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
2011 rain was magical.
I can't play "Dock Of The Bay" without thinking about it.

Heh, heh...is that because it was looking for a while like the stage was going to become a dock? :)

I wimped out just as the worst hit and headed back to the hotel. Kind of sorry I did now but I had to leave pretty early in the morning and when I saw those clouds coming in I was thinking "if that little ditch up to the road gets really wet these crappy street tires are going to have me stuck here in the field." (This year I put new tires on the car just before the trip.) Turns out that ground is pretty firm even when wet anyway.

John

Skitzic
10-03-2012, 03:12 AM

That was when I got sick and had to go back to the cabin. Did it flood then?

coolkayaker1
10-03-2012, 03:41 AM
John stayed in a hotel and didn't weather the storm with the rest of the troops? Oy vey! You didn't hit the plastic pottyhouses at the first raindrops?

Anyone ever heard of the Bumper Dumper? A nice alternative for the morning constitutional for the outdoorsman ukulele player. Available on Amazon, and you can click on my Amazon review (1 customer review) if you want to know more about it from personal experience:
http://tinyurl.com/9t28vbb

Skitzic
10-03-2012, 04:52 AM
John stayed in a hotel and didn't weather the storm with the rest of the troops? Oy vey! You didn't hit the plastic pottyhouses at the first raindrops?

Anyone ever heard of the Bumper Dumper? A nice alternative for the morning constitutional for the outdoorsman ukulele player. Available on Amazon, and you can click on my Amazon review (1 customer review) if you want to know more about it from personal experience:
http://tinyurl.com/9t28vbb

I saw that on TV. For $100 I will just buy a cheap toilet seat and put it on a bucket I already have.

...that review was hysterical though. I laughed out loud and my office mate thinks I'm crazy now, but eh well. :D

OldePhart
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

If I had stayed at the field I probably would have been under the stage - when we see a wall cloud like that one coming in in Texas the first thing we think is "I wonder if the Tornado sirens are working?" ;)

Oh...and that bumper dumper thing was about the dumbest thing I've seen - maybe they should call it the dumber dumper - I wonder if they've actually sold any? If so...I want their customer list 'cause I've got all kinds of things they'll probably want to buy...

John

coolkayaker1
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh...and that bumper dumper thing was about the dumbest thing I've seen - maybe they should call it the dumber dumper - I wonder if they've actually sold any?
John

Ah, like, yeah. Did you not see my review of it?

salukulady
10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
That was when I got sick and had to go back to the cabin. Did it flood then?

Not sure, it was dark. But it did rain like crazy.

OldePhart
10-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Ah, like, yeah. Did you not see my review of it?

Ooops... Hey...Steve...I've got this kaddiddlywopper for sale, interested? LOL

John

coolkayaker1
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Ooops... Hey...Steve...I've got this kaddiddlywopper for sale, interested? LOL

John lol, John...

Tack
10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Ok... Count me in .... Airline Tickets booked. Arriving late Wednesday (8pm) and flying out Monday ...
Umm... Please don't change the date!

I'm going to UWC!

OldePhart
10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok... Count me in .... Airline Tickets booked. Arriving late Wednesday (8pm) and flying out Monday ...
Umm... Please don't change the date!

I'm going to UWC!

Woo-hooo - another comin' from Oz! Pack Jon in your suitcase, eh? :)

Tack
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Woo-hooo - another comin' from Oz! Pack Jon in your suitcase, eh? :)

If that's what it takes to get him there! Ummm... Why do I have to travel half way around the world to meet a chap who lives 2 hours away?? :)

thomdawg
10-22-2012, 03:49 AM
Here is a video from the Flea bitten Dawgs as part of the "Around the World in 80 Plays' traveling ukulele video/raffle. We camped at the field on the stage because of a gig in Nashville IN as part of our fall tour. We hit the field in the peak of fall colors! We had it a little over a week and got it into a bunch of UWCer's hands durning the tour. How great is it to keep the UWC spirit together all year with these types of crazy happenings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRsmakMpHDI&feature=player_detailpage

ukeeku
10-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Here is a video from the Flea bitten Dawgs as part of the "Around the World in 80 Plays' traveling ukulele video/raffle. We camped at the field on the stage because of a gig in Nashville IN as part of our fall tour. We hit the field in the peak of fall colors! We had it a little over a week and got it into a bunch of UWCer's hands durning the tour. How great is it to keep the UWC spirit together all year with these types of crazy happenings!

We did a video too this weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzjwFsZ56Q

ukemunga
10-22-2012, 04:22 AM

I guess that really makes you the earliest to arrive for UWC 2013! Even if you have to leave for a while before you return.

OldePhart
10-22-2012, 07:56 AM

What a hoot! Seven more months 'till UWC, sigh...this is like watching for the pot to boil... :)

John

23skidoo
10-22-2012, 08:29 AM
What a hoot! Seven more months 'till UWC, sigh...this is like watching for the pot to boil... :)

John

Yep.... at least we know exactly how long we have to wait (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=105&iso=20130531T00&year=2013&month=5&day=31&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&msg=Ukulele%20World%20Congress%202013%21).....

hoosierhiver
10-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Already scheming for #5

ukeeku
10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Already scheming for #5

This one is going to be huge! I am way too excited for it to be so far away.
For those planning already. I have a HUGE tent. says it sleeps 14, but that is cheek to cheek. really sleeps 8 with all their stuff and walking room.
I will have my cott and an extra one. I can get 3 more if need be.
If you need a place to crash from Thursday to sunday, my tent is open. just PM me

ukemunga
10-25-2012, 04:28 AM
If you need a place to crash from Thursday to sunday, my tent is open. just PM me

Even if I fart a lot at night? :biglaugh:

Lalz
10-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Meanwhile, can someone please invent free teleportation for all so I can make it to the congress? :iwant: to go!!!

ukeeku
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Even if I fart a lot at night? :biglaugh:

Its a tent. Very well ventilated. Plus you can have your own room.

Mim
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Not sure if I am a'campin' it or a'cabin' it... but I have a ton o tents if anyone needs one. The one I brought was huge and I have 2 more like it (my husband has issues with buying 90% off things at Target, whether we need it or not... so we have 3 identical tents that have 2 rooms... you can have your own room).

Ok... need to stop talking about UWC. TOO EXCITED!

UncleElvis
10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I need to be there now.

That is all. Thank you.

thomdawg
11-03-2012, 08:18 PM
MIM!!!! Come on, ya gotta be on the field with the rest of the " can't miss a thing" folks! It is the real UWC thing! Shoot... it is UWC! i wish everybody was on the field. We are working on the second field to handle more folks over there!.................. come on(!!!!!!) the Dali Lama has blessed that field! What more could you ask for!

hoosierhiver
11-04-2012, 04:15 AM
the Dali Lama has blessed that field! What more could you ask for!

true story.

ukemunga
11-04-2012, 04:57 AM
true story.

Mike, for us less-in-the-know noobs, could you tell how that came about?

hoosierhiver
11-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Mike, for us less-in-the-know noobs, could you tell how that came about?

Many things have happened in that field over the years. About ten years ago, the community sponsored a sort of camp for Tibetan students. They had workshops on networking, politicking, effective ways of protesting and that sort of stuff. The Dalai Llama has a brother in Bloomington and came by one day.

ukemunga
11-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Many things have happened in that field over the years.

I'm sure that's an understatement! Interesting story.

salukulady
11-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Many things have happened in that field over the years. About ten years ago, the community sponsored a sort of camp for Tibetan students. They had workshops on networking, politicking, effective ways of protesting and that sort of stuff. The Dalai Llama has a brother in Bloomington and came by one day.

This is pure AWESOME. No wonder it's such a good place.

Faricelli
11-04-2012, 08:06 AM
You can tell by the spots were the grass doesn't grow anymore, that Sally and a few others blessed the field last year.

Matimeo
11-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Hmmm... Maybe we could put funds together somehow and sponsor the UU guys to come ...

ukeeku
11-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Hmmm... Maybe we could put funds together somehow and sponsor the UU guys to come ...

Here we go again. They should come. When I Go to NAMM I will pester them....... again.
This will be year 5 of trying this.
I say we start a letter writing campaign.

salukulady
11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
This has been tried b4.

coolkayaker1
11-05-2012, 06:31 AM
I say we start a letter writing campaign.

If the letters are written on one hundred dollar bills I'm sure it'd help.

itsscottwilder
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Haven't been active on UU lately, but I'm coming to UWC. My dad hung out for UWC2012. He passed away two weeks ago. I'm inviting everyone to join me to sing his favorite song, Me and Bobby McGee, this year in his honor.

ukeeku
11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Haven't been active on UU lately, but I'm coming to UWC. My dad hung out for UWC2012. He passed away two weeks ago. I'm inviting everyone to join me to sing his favorite song, Me and Bobby McGee, this year in his honor.
Could you post a link or the music here so we can practice?

itsscottwilder
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Could you post a link or the music here so we can practice?

I'll post it tonight when I get home :)

seeso
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about that, Scott. All my best to you and your family.

salukulady
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM

That is a great song, Scott. My mom had the album the Silver Tongued Devil. Always loved Kris Kristofferson. About 5 years ago I was lucky enough to see him live. Just a man and his guitar alone on a stage. What a wonderful story teller.

Will be tickled to play it at UWC in your fathers memory.

fowl
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Scott. We'll be praying for your family. Do the song in the key of c and make it doable for us oldtimers with stubby arthritic fingers. That is one of my favorite tunes also.

OldePhart
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Scott. Would be honored to play and sing this with you in honor of your dad.

John

salukulady
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Scott. We'll be praying for your family. Do the song in the key of c and make it doable for us oldtimers with stubby arthritic fingers. That is one of my favorite tunes also.

Easier to sing for everyone in F or G.

thomdawg
11-11-2012, 03:37 PM

So sorry to hear about your father Scott. He made great instruments and was a really nice person. I'd play Me and Bobby McGee with you on the stage, it would be an honor.

musicmonsterw
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear that. Count me in.

hoosierhiver
11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm happy to announce something new for UWC5. Lil' Rev will be teaching a workshop and having a concert at the Brown County Playhouse http://www.browncountyplayhouse.org/ in Nashville Saturday afternoon. The workshop will be about noon, the concert about 2pm. Tickets will be available thru the Brown County Playhouse in advance or the day of the show. For those who haven't attended a UWC yet, Saturday afternoon is typically when a lot of people check out Nashville, have lunch, shower in town and maybe visit a few of the shops. The concert will be over by about 4pm, before Saturday evenings partying really gets going. For those who want a structured workshop to learn some new stuff, this is a great opportunity. More info coming soon.

ukeeku
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm happy to announce something new for UWC5. Lil' Rev will be teaching a workshop and having a concert at the Brown County Playhouse http://www.browncountyplayhouse.org/ in Nashville Saturday afternoon. The workshop will be about noon, the concert about 2pm. Tickets will be available thru the Brown County Playhouse in advance or the day of the show. For those who haven't attended a UWC yet, Saturday afternoon is typically when a lot of people check out Nashville, have lunch, shower in town and maybe visit a few of the shops. The concert will be over by about 4pm, before Saturday evenings partying really gets going. For those who want a structured workshop to learn some new stuff, this is a great opportunity. More info coming soon.
That is just cool. saves the field to be what it is while offering daytime uke fun. I hope this means that Rev will hang out with us that night

hoosierhiver
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
That is just cool. saves the field to be what it is while offering daytime uke fun. I hope this means that Rev will hang out with us that night

You can bet on it. I'm really happy this side show came together. He'll be bringing the whole family down for the weekend as well as some of the Milwaukee group. I'm hoping to see him do some jamming with Dom, DeG, John, Seeso, etc., etc.

coolkayaker1
11-15-2012, 05:02 PM
I saw Rev at MrEWorm's house concert with two other Underground friends a few weeks back and he's fun as hell...as you and most others know, Mike.

I know you're a Honey and Bosko fan, like me, I guess that'll have to wait another year for them to come from Down Under to central Hoosierland. I assume you sub to their youtube channel, Mike, and see the great live vids they put out in the past week. Fun!

hoosierhiver
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Taking pre-orders for Mainland hoodies, not sure what the cost will be yet.
Email me mikeatmainlandukesdotcom