koa soprano with worth clear and mahogany soprano with worth brown. Am I right?

fabioponta

Reaction score
It's a soprano question:
I've tried putting worth clear on my mahogany kiwaya, but the sound was dead. The best vibrating sound comes with worth brown on it. For another hand, in my koaloha soprano the worth brown strings sounded good, but not better than the worth clear.

It seems to me that each of these strings pulls the best timbre of different woods.

Does anyone else think like me? different combinations for different ukes? in the case of a solid cedar top: what is the bether choice between clear or brown, in your opinion?

This is very interesting to me, because in the last few months of playing, I've learned that I am on the "warmer" end of the spectrum in terms of sound preferences. Thus I have a KoAloha, for its warmth and sustain. It comes with Worth Clears, which sound amazing, but I was really curious if the Worth Browns would make it even warmer. Interesting to hear that you were not impressed with the Worth Browns on the KoAloha!

I had Worth Browns on my solid mahogany Ohana SK-35 and it sounded very "woody". I *hated* it. I switched to Martin M600s (The only Worths in Germany are brown) and the sound was like a bell. Also to note, the Worth Browns made the tuners very stiff whenever I turned them. The Martins made the tuners smooth as butter.

Of course, this might also be because I have Martins on my Ohana Pineapple, and I love the sound. The sustain rings on forever.

Very interesting. I have whatever KoAloha comes with, and it sounds great, but the strings feel a little stiffer or harder to play than I like. I'm trying to decided whether or not to change them.
I have different strings on each of my ukes. The Ohana P/O Myrtle sounds fantastic with Southcoast, the Ohana Mahogany with Martins, Worth Clears on Mainland Mango. It's fun to try different strings, but a pain to do it.

This is very interesting to me, because in the last few months of playing, I've learned that I am on the "warmer" end of the spectrum in terms of sound preferences. Thus I have a KoAloha, for its warmth and sustain. It comes with Worth Clears, which sound amazing, but I was really curious if the Worth Browns would make it even warmer. Interesting to hear that you were not impressed with the Worth Browns on the KoAloha!
Maybe the light tension in the koaloha soprano scale makes the worth browns sounds a little muted to me. I'll try browns on my koaloha concert to hear how it sounds with more tension. To me, my koaloha soprano with worth clear is the top of bright that I can found on ukes. It's amazing.

I had Worth Browns on my solid mahogany Ohana SK-35 and it sounded very "woody". I *hated* it. I switched to Martin M600s (The only Worths in Germany are brown) and the sound was like a bell. Also to note, the Worth Browns made the tuners very stiff whenever I turned them. The Martins made the tuners smooth as butter.

Of course, this might also be because I have Martins on my Ohana Pineapple, and I love the sound. The sustain rings on forever.

Wow, I have some Martin M600 here, and unused! I'll try on my kiwaya.
MisterRios, I live in Brazil and I bought worth strings directly from the factory on Japan with rasonable low shipping costs. I have an email to make the purchase and I paid with paypal. If you are interested, I can pass the worth japan factory mail to you. Send me a PM if you are interested in this info.

+1 on the Martin M600 flrocarbons on soprano ukes. I've them on all my koa soprano ukes. They sound great on my MB, DaSilva, & GString.

Oh, I have found worth clears sound fine on ukes of all woods.

Any difference between worth clears & martins? I cannot tell the difference myself. Thanks!

I don't even think it's so much the right string for the wood as it is the right string for the uke. So many minute details factor into the construction of an ukulele (wood type being one of them), that each uke has its own personality and sound. Some ukes just seem to like a particular type of string. The only way to know is to experiment.

I recently discovered that my red cedar Mainland sounds fantastic with Ko'olau Mahana strings. Not saying every red cedar tenor, every Mainland, or red cedar Mainland tenor would like them - but mine sure does.

Top Bottom