My little story

flyingv8

Reaction score
Hey all. I felt compelled to share a little story with you all and how this little instrument is playing a role in my life. As a multi instrumentalist I have struggled to find my place in bands over the years and finally in 2003 I quit the band scene and I also quit playing cover songs. I spent the next 3 years writing songs and finally released a CD in 2006. I played all the instruments and did all the engineering. It turned out good but was rather angry. I think all the years of frustration were finally released through that major effort. Shortly after I released the CD I got sick. I was in the hospital for a week and spent 6 months recuperating. When the economy tanked in 2009 I was forced to sell all my musical equipment in order to keep my house. I did this and decided that it was a good thing to simplify my life, write simpler tunes and concentrate on acoustic guitar and singing. Then last year I got sick again and was back in the hospital for another week and another long recuperation period. I lost 40 lbs! Then late last year I found the ukulele! Since then I have been obsessed with it! The tone of the nylon strings really speaks to me and the ease with which I can sing with it gave me a joy that I haven't had in years! My new goal is to get my debts paid off so I can buy a quality uke and spend as much time as possible playing and singing. Someday I will live in Hawaii and play my ukulele all the time. That's my dream! The ukulele has given me a new determination and a new enthusiasm for music! I absolutely love it! Mahalo!

It is amazing just how therapeutic music can be. Best wishes and good luck with your ambition!

Thanks for sharing your story. Hope you continue to enjoy good health. Take care.

Last edited:
I just came from a review website where every comment was basically about how if you didn't have studio grade recording gear, that you couldn't call yourself a musician. Steam was coming out of my ears. Then I came here and read what a real musician has to say. It's not about the amount and cost of your gear, it's what you do with it. You sound like you get more from your acoustic guitar and voice then those d-bags get from their thousands worth of gear.

Ho, Bruddah Don!

Mahalo for sharing your story! I'm so happy for you that you found the uke! Ukes make the world in which we live in a much better place!!! Wishing you good health and for good things to happen to you.

Aloha flyingV8,
Inspiring story, Mahalo for sharing. I love playing my uke and singing to my family, and to my Fiance. Actually I sing better than I play but it's okay....Love Karaoke.....
Here's wishing you good health and happy uke playing................................BO.........................

Hello flyingV8,
As 808boy said above Here's wishing you good health and happy uke playing. I would like to add that Erie PA. is a beautiful part of the country.
Four seasons,reds and golds in the Autumn, snow shovelling which you don't want to miss. I feel sorry that you want to go to Hawaii and miss all this.
1931jim

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I have been feeling much better and have been able to manage my condition through diet instead of meds. Doctors I have seen continue to tell me that my diet has nothing to do with it. I prove them wrong daily! I do love living in Erie Jim and the change in seasons is nice but I wouldn't mind a break from the rain and the snow. Funny though, I have always written more songs and improved my playing more in the winter. Nothing else to do! Thanks again everyone! I am so glad to have this forum and wish all of you the best that life has to offer!

Best wishes with your dream. I hope i get to Hawaii someday. I may not come back!

Thanks Nickie! That's why I never will vacation there! I couldn't come back! I am working hard at learning to play the ukulele and I will live in Hawaii someday! I want a simple happy lifestyle...that's not too much to ask for is it?

awesome story Don!!! Thanks for sharing it. I know for me the ukulele has been a therapeutic instrument that has got me through tough times too, and it's just got such a pure, joyful voice. It has changed my life for the better. All the best in your health issues and I hope we can hear some of your music real soon mate.

Aloha Don,
Mahalo for sharing your story and I am glad to hear you have gotten better...yes the ukulele does have that magical healing powers and refocus on the positive things in life....plus it is a
happy instrument...I can't say that will all instruments, but with the ukulele, it draws you in and puts a smile on your face every time you pick it up....Happy Strummings..

Thanks Stan! I am feeling much better and playing the ukulele daily puts me in a happy and hopeful spirit. I recently sold my last guitar and have dedicated myself to the ukulele. I feel like I don't need any other instrument. The joy the ukulele gives me is enough. Jam with love my friend!

Top Bottom