Want to be mentioned in the new UU DVD? Ask your beginner questions here

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Hey everyone, we're hard at work on a brand new UU DVD (our first in in 3 years) and would like your help. We're trying to create the perfect DVD for first time ukulele players, people who have never touched an ukulele before and get them from ground level to strumming and playing and truly enjoying music.

We have a section in the DVD for Q&A and we'd like to get the questions for the DVD from the members in the beginner forum.

So if you'd like to help us create this DVD for other ukulele beginners and have your (screen)name forever immortalized on a printed DVD, post your questions here.

To keep this thread clean, please do not post duplicate questions.

Thanks much!
-UU guys

What is ukulele set up and why is it so important?

What is ukulele set up and why is it so important?

I have heard of several things like: uke set up is very important, otherwise you'll come across many problems..

But what does that really mean?

What are the best methods to learning chord transitions? (e.g. maybe give new players some exercises to develop muscle memory)

Are there any "secrets" to playing difficult transitions? (i.e. maybe playing a chord up the neck vs. at first position.. that sort of thing)

What is the most important advice a seasoned `Ukulele player can give to a beginner?

Here is a question plaguing my nUUbie little mind lately:

Can you identify three bad habits beginners fall into and explain how to avoid them?

How to structure practice (strums, chords, etc)

What is a barre chord, tips on how to hold it and why is it important in moveable chords.

How much should a "real" uke cost and what to look for when buying one.

What is chunking? How do you do it? When is it used?

STRINGS! Wound? Nylon? Floro-what? Re-entrant? Linear? What difference does it make?

Where can i find tabs?

How do i hold an ukulele?

What is UAS and is it better to buy a really expensive one off the bat rather than buy a cheap one that will not sound good and stay in tune?

What are the basic terms as well as the more advance terms, techniques, etc. i hear about? (for example: i had no idea what chunking was and had to search high and low when i saw the technique but had no idea what it was called)...

whom can i look for for inspiration? the pro players, novices, and even famous players not known to play the uke.

What are some really good first songs to learn on the uke?

Where are some good sources to buy ukes and where should i avoid buying an uke?

A little description about the 4 K's and also a little information about custom ukes...

tuners? straps? humidifiers? cases?

solid? laminates? plastic? carbon fiber?

sizes and sound difference?

What is considered to be a good price range for a "starter ukulele"?

Spruce,mahogany,koa,mango,etc. what are the effects on sound?

What should you look for in a uke,if you are using it to busk?

What is tablature?

How is tablature read?

Is tablature a better way to learn than "reading" music?

If I'm looking to take a workshop at a local ukulele festival, is there a standard definition for "beginner," "intermediate," and "advanced" and how do you know if you qualify?

What are the basic "open" chord shapes and names?

How do you know if you've "outgrown" your first ukulele?

What is "attack" "voicing" "playing clean"?

What do "laminate" and "solid" mean in terms of ukulele construction?

What is "low g"?

What is re-entrant tuning?

How does one's fingers affect the playing of ukulele and how to make the best out of your fingers' profile?
Some people have thick fingers, some finger are longer or shorter than others, some have a delicate fingertip skins. Also what's the recommended nail length.

What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of the various sizes of ukulele?
What are the differences in tone between the different sizes of ukulele.
How doe the Baritone differ from the Soprano/concert/Tenor ukulele
I also agree that as mentioned above some suggestions for what to practice daily to improve...exercises to improve dexterity/reach.
Also some information on how to progress to playing out of the first position (may be a good "end" to the DVD as that is starting to move out of the beginner stages)

Top Bottom