Is the ukulele for me?

Jakeus

Reaction score
After refusing to practice piano in my earlier years, I've completely lost touch with my musical side. I've recently been looking around for an instrument to pick up, and the ukulele caught my eye. I love the fact that it's small and portable enough to carry around, and it always brings a smile to my face when I hear it.

However, many of the ukulele pieces that I've heard are accompanied by singing. I'm more interested in learning an instrument with a wide range of instrumental pieces that I could learn.

Is ukulele for me, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

Jakeus, go on youtube and you will hear every conceivable style of music played on the ukulele with fantastic skill and musicianship. However, you could choose to play a mandolin because the same thing is possible with that instrument and it is small and portable enough to carry around just like the ukulele. You will not know until you buy and try.

Hi Jakeus,
Over the years I have played violin, guitar, bass, mandolin, dobro, banjo and now ukulele. I can say with some degree of confidence that the ukulele IS for you. There are any number of instrumental styles suited to the uke. Trad Hawaiian, jazz, bluegrass, celtic, classical and many others I'm sure. I say go for it!

Hello,
I heartily recommend the ukulele for getting back to your musical roots. I've tried several instruments too, and was succesful at none, until I tired the uke. Now I have the confidence to tackle piano, and I love it!
I was a music snob before, and now I want to play everything I can get my strums on. I play stuff I would have never dreamed of playing before the ukulele!
It's small, light, and nobody doesn't like it...

I have played many, many instruments, and I think the uke is the most FUN. I finger pick all my songs. Check out Mike Lynch and Ken Middleton sites for some great music, and also Fingerstyle Solos on Amazon. In addition, there is a lot of help right here for every type of playing. A "C" chord is only 1 string fingered and 3 strings just as they are. Go for it!!:)

If the ukulele brings a smile to your face when you hear one being played it is definitely the instrument for you.

The answer is yes.

Now run out and get one and start playing!

I like singing along with the uke, but I love just strumming chords and picking notes. It's just as fun, and you don't get self-conscious about your voice.

Find some of the John King recordings, as well as Ken Middleton and Mike Lynch.

I can't recall who did them, but one of the UU members has The Ukulele Etudes available.

You can play any style on this simple 2-octave instrument, and vocal accompaniment is optional.

Enjoy!

-Kurt​

Despite the huge number of unskilled people (hipsters?) who picked it up to be YouTube celebrities the ukulele is a serious musical instrument. You can strum simple chords, sing along (get a soprano) or play complex instrumentals (get a tenor for that).

I already play guitar so the uke is an interesting challenge: less strings, barely two octaves, tough to play in tune and with good tone, fun to figure out arrangements.

So go for it!

After refusing to practice piano in my earlier years, I've completely lost touch with my musical side. I've recently been looking around for an instrument to pick up, and the ukulele caught my eye. I love the fact that it's small and portable enough to carry around, and it always brings a smile to my face when I hear it.

However, many of the ukulele pieces that I've heard are accompanied by singing. I'm more interested in learning an instrument with a wide range of instrumental pieces that I could learn.

Is ukulele for me, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

Yes, it is for you!
Silly question to ask on an ukulele forum, doncha think? ;)

The uke can do all sorts of instrumental things in the hands of people more talented than me!
Check out these varied pieces from some forum members:

Ken Middleton's take on Camptown Races

Olarn's take on Manha de Carnaval

Ryrod's cover of The Unknown

You will find that you will remember more from when you were playing the piano than you might think right now. Any musical knowledge that you acquire is always a help regardless of which instrument you may play. Although I'm a musician (main instrument = trumpet), I'm not really enthusiastic about singing, but with the uke, you don't have to. Play what you like. I usually hum rather than sing along. Okay, I've saved the best for last......You can get a good uke for a very low price. If you decide that it's not for you, you're not out much money if you quit. However, since you can get a decent starter uke, for around $50, if you quit you can put it in the closet until you start again. To me, the uke is the "folks'" instrument--it's for anybody who wants to give it go.

Top Bottom