May God Bless Worth Strings! :)

Captain America

Reaction score
Fantastic stuff! Added a great dimension of sound to my ukes; great belltones, absolutely fantastic. Has really really added to my enjoyment of my ukes.

Engineers of Worth! Keep up the good work! Blessings to you all.

Which Worths are you using? I agree with itsme, I loved the Worth clear low g on my Kamaka but the Worth BMLG sound the best on my Kanilea, each string mixes and matches differently with different ukes.

I have clears on my Kamaka Tenor and my Smiley Face soprano :)
Worth Browns on my Kala Baritone (low g)

Which Worths are you using? I agree with itsme, I loved the Worth clear low g on my Kamaka but the Worth BMLG sound the best on my Kanilea, each string mixes and matches differently with different ukes.

After playing with Worth browns on my koa concert uke I decided I would swap out my aquilas on my mango tenor. Just got the BMLG strings today and they are settling in on the tenor as I type this.

WW, do you have your BMLG's on a tenor too? Are you using the unwound low G? If so, how do you like it?

Some folks comment on the nylon low G string being to thick for their likes but my first impression is that it will be fine for me.

After playing with Worth browns on my koa concert uke I decided I would swap out my aquilas on my mango tenor. Just got the BMLG strings today and they are settling in on the tenor as I type this.

WW, do you have your BMLG's on a tenor too? Are you using the unwound low G? If so, how do you like it?

Some folks comment on the nylon low G string being to thick for their likes but my first impression is that it will be fine for me.

Yep, I use the BMLG right now on a tenor Kanilea. It is the unwound g. I didn't care for these as much on my other ukes, but for some reason, I like them on the Kanilea. I am incapable of playing a wound string without a squeak so I have to resort to unwound options. I don't think this one seems as boomy as the Worth CTLG I used to use. I do think it is a little thick, it sits more on top of the nut than in it, but I'm not having problems with intonation or action so I don't mind the thickness of the string at all.

I used to be nervous about using the CM or BM models on a tenor, but I saw other folks around here did without a problem, and for some unknown reason, I seem to like them better than the CT and BT options.

For us uke beginners, could someone explain the different Worth strings that are available and their characteristics? I'm going to treat myself to a second uke in a few months (probaby the Kala Solid Acacia) and would like to consider Worth strings. I have Aquila's on my first tenor and they seem nice with a good sound....but, I'm still learning. Sorry, if this is alot to ask. Maybe even a comparison of Aquila and Worth (noticed there's a big price difference). I might even take the advice I've gotten here and do low G on one of my two tenors. Thanks in advnce.

For us uke beginners, could someone explain the different Worth strings that are available and their characteristics? I'm going to treat myself to a second uke in a few months (probaby the Kala Solid Acacia) and would like to consider Worth strings. I have Aquila's on my first tenor and they seem nice with a good sound....but, I'm still learning. Sorry, if this is alot to ask. Maybe even a comparison of Aquila and Worth (noticed there's a big price difference). I might even take the advice I've gotten here and do low G on one of my two tenors. Thanks in advnce.

Hello frets alot, I remember you from the dulcimer forum! Welcome to the uke side!

I'm still a noob in the uke world but I do highly recommend you try a low g uke. As for Worth strings, they seem to have the volume of aquilas but are more clear, bell like, and yet still very full.

I have no idea what CM BM CT or BT mean.... :-/
WW, yes I find the unwound low g sits a bit high on the nut too but so far it sounds fine, quite nice to not have the squeeks of the wound string. I will play these for a while on my tenor and see how I like them over time.

Last edited:
fretie, Thanks so much. Your feedback on Worths is helpful.

Which dulcimer site? I'm Frets Alot on ED and just Susie on FOTMD. I'm loving the uke...but also love my other instruments, including the dulcimer.

Again, thanks for you feedback.

fretie and fretsalot: Don't be intimidated by all the different Worth string types. It's pretty simple once you know what it means. Starting with "B" like in BM means Brown Medium. The same in clear strings would be CM for Clear Medium (medium thickness). The difference between Brown and Clear has been described as brown being warmer and the clears being brighter.

Go to the bottom of this page and it will show all the different types: http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html. Yes, they are more expensive but yes, you get twice as much string. Give them a try, they are highly regarded here in UU. I put them on my Kanilea soprano and it made a big difference, a nice difference.

fretie and fretsalot: Don't be intimidated by all the different Worth string types. It's pretty simple once you know what it means. Starting with "B" like in BM means Brown Medium. The same in clear strings would be CM for Clear Medium (medium thickness). The difference between Brown and Clear has been described as brown being warmer and the clears being brighter.

Go to the bottom of this page and it will show all the different types: http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html. Yes, they are more expensive but yes, you get twice as much string. Give them a try, they are highly regarded here in UU. I put them on my Kanilea soprano and it made a big difference, a nice difference.

What a great explanation. Makes perfect sense. I'm going to definitely try them on my new tenor, when I decide for sure what and when I'm buying. On UU, you truely learn something new every day. Going now to check out your posted link.

OK, I'm starting to figure out the lettering... BM LG = Brown Medium Low G, right? But what about CT and BT , do they stand for Clear Tenor and Brown Tenor....? :confused:

Its interesting to look at the Worth website but still not that clear as to how the various choices of strings are labeled.

Yes, you are correct on both counts.
Did you scroll down to the red and blue section on my included link? All the acronyms spelled out.
I hope this helps.

OK, I'm starting to figure out the lettering... BM LG = Brown Medium Low G, right? But what about CT and BT , do they stand for Clear Tenor and Brown Tenor....? :confused:

Its interesting to look at the Worth website but still not that clear as to how the various choices of strings are labeled.

Yes, you are correct on both counts.
Did you scroll down to the red and blue section on my included link? All the acronyms spelled out.
I hope this helps.

Oh bad student, am I! I did not make it down to the end of the page when I first clicked on your link. But, with a little extra nudge from you, I finally made it there and do see all the codes, translated into regular terms.

Shesh, who knew uke strings could get so complex! :D

I was right there were you were...confused by all the acronyms, that's why I chimed in here. They are nice strings so it's worth the study :music:

I'm glad you found the section :)

Oh bad student, am I! I did not make it down to the end of the page when I first clicked on your link. But, with a little extra nudge from you, I finally made it there and do see all the codes, translated into regular terms.

Shesh, who knew uke strings could get so complex! :D

Top Bottom