First Uke...which top bracing?

Steve Davis

Reaction score
Greetings all
Im new to the forum and to Uke building but have a couple of guitars under my belt,classical and SS. I am working on a tenor.
Im finding the plethora of Uke bracing patterns slightly bewildering.
If you had to take a bet on which one would result in a decent sounding instrument (built by a relative novice) and not implode.....
which would you choose
Thanks

I'm not a builder but fan bracing looks the easiest. Obviously thickness of top, placement of fan, material, etc. need to be considered. Good luck.

If you've done a classical, then a Tenor shouldn't be all that difficult for you. I'd be going with a fan brace pattern. Either 3 or 5 fans. Top thickness and size of fans is the part where it gets fun.

Can't go wrong with a classic 3fan brace pattern. I'd get a set of plans and follow it. I know going from guitars to ukes can feel weird with the lighter braces.

Invest in the Hana Lima plan for 25 bucks, a three fan brace plan that makes a darned nice tenor, while you are at it you might want to buy their work book, a fine tutorial and guide. Another 25 bucks I think but it will build you a good instrument. Google Hana Lima Ia.
Brian

Top Bottom