The other Shimabukuru

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Everybody knows Jake, but it seems a lot of folks aren't aware of his totally awesome and super fun younger brother Bruce. Go see him if you ever get a chance. Here's a video from the Bangkok festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrifxsOSAkU

Seen quite a few vids of Bruce. I don't dislike Jake, but his sibling seems to have gotten the lion's share of personality and all-round good humour. I prefer his playing, too.

Totally a fan of Bruce here. I enjoy his CD as much as Jake's. Japan release only though.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Bits-Pieces-Bruce-Shimabukuro/dp/images/B000ROALR6

Album was produced by Jake! Bruce sang in couple of tracks. Bruce and Jake played together on the 6th track "Tokada"

Off the CD insert ... Bruce wrote his appreciation for Jake:

"Jake Masao Shimabukuro

It feels like I've been thanking you a lot ever since I started trying to pursue this music career. It's been pretty hard for me to adjust and overcome all the obstacles that lay in front of me at the beginning of this singer/song writer stuff, but it was definitely easier with you around. Not everyone understands how much of a role you play in my life. On and off stage.
I just hope that you know that I really appreciate it. That's why when I take most of the credit for stuff I didn't do and I don't mention your name, sometimes I feel a little bad. Hahaha. Just kidding. Seriously though, you've been doing a lot more for me than I could ever return in my lifetime. I'm sure that you know that, and yet you still keep giving. It's just too bad that not everyone could have a big brother like you. It's really too bad that everyone has a little brother like me. Hahaha. Love you man.

Bruce Makoto Shimabukuro"

Last edited:
Yeah, the first time I saw a vid of Bruce and Jake together at some festival I was like, woah, who decided one family could have all the talent?! :)

This is a video from the July 2011 Waikiki Ukulele Festival. I could just watch the looks on Bruce's and Jake's faces with the sound OFF and still totally love this video.

If Bruce wants to be as big as Jake, he's going to need a funny hat.

Bruces kamaka copy.jpg
Bruce has the sweetest custom Kamaka

Attachments

• Bruces kamaka.jpg
    Bruces kamaka.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 18
I went to school with Bruce. We played "Surf" during our 7th grade class rally. He was cool.

That 2nd song that Bruce plays sounds really nice, is it one of his originals?

This is a video from the July 2011 Waikiki Ukulele Festival. I could just watch the looks on Bruce's and Jake's faces with the sound OFF and still totally love this video.

What fun! Playing w/your brother has to be a blast! The jams I have w/my daughter are simply the best.

Ah, the good old Shimabukuru-game. You raise Jake with a Bruce? I'll see your Bruce and re-raise with the unrelated Kirk:

LOLOL Kirk is the man!!! I always jam with him, he's my buddy :D Actually, I might just jam with him later today ;) thanks for including the "unrelated" Shimabukuro, but actually, Kirk did perform with Jake before. I don't think he ever uploaded the video to YouTube, but yeah he's great and a really good friend!

Ah, the good old Shimabukuru-game. You raise Jake with a Bruce? I'll see your Bruce and re-raise with the unrelated Kirk:

Here are Jake Shimabukuro, Bruce Shimabukuro, and Carol Shimibukuro (Jale and Bruce's mom), performing at the San Francisco premiere of a then unnamed documentary about Jake that will be aired on PBS later this year. (Sorry for the shaky video. I suck at being a tripod.)

Top Bottom