Wood p***

Chris_H

Reaction score
Been looking for nice Western Big Leaf C. Maple for a while without any consistent luck. Found this piece yesterday. This is almost dead quartersawn... pretty This piece has been wetted with thinner, a pic for a client. It will be going through the saw sometime in the next few hours, all veneers, yes, uke sets too! The lighting for this pic hid the curl, it is actually very sharp. 7' long...
Anyone know where to get nice Curly Maple? Western Big Leaf? I do not really care for the Eastern Curly Maple, except for the really spectacular pieces, or under dye.

Cheers!

Thanks Rick. I m on their site at least once a week to see whats new, and buy a lot of wood from them. If they sell Curly Maple to you, they do not to me, they must be holding out... I know they must have some private stash somewhere, but I do not have the keys. Jim is my goto there, and friend.

Yes, I am aware of that.. When I first started buying from Gilmer about 15 years ago, I did not build instruments, so I was steered to Jim. Those guys have wood! sometimes over the years it has seemed like they really did not care if they sold it or not, at least not to me. I have spent a lot of time speaking on the phone with Jim, and less in person. He knows what I am looking for. On several occasions, I have placed an order on the website, he has called me to tell me details that I might not like, cancelling the order. This is after calling him to discuss in detail, every board I purchased, for quite a few boards, as my needs are very specific. Jim knows wood too... I am super happy with every almost every transaction I do with them, Jim is my eyes on the ground there... but, I will call Mark and ask him about Curly Maple, I will tell him you sent me.

Ironically, an order from Gilmer was just sitting on my table saw when I just went downstairs to my shop, a blank of Spanish Cedar which will make 4 uke necks, a nice piece of Cocobolo, and a really cool piece of Black Mesquite.... I wish I was building ukes full time, cuz this Mesquite board would make cool ukes.. but, it will make a really cool turntable too. It is already split, coated in shellac, and about to go in the rack.

That Maple is split now too, and about to be edged/ sized into it's 'purpose/ shape' Not sure how many uke sets I will save, because the turntables made from it will sell way before they are finished. People love curly Maple. I will save some for sure though, it is way too pretty... Someday I may regret not turning it all into uke sets....

I've looked in envy at Gilmer, West Penn, Hibden Hardwoods and North West and thought, "If only I was in the US". On the recent trip to Canada I saw a 12ft long boards of 12/4 bubbly, quilted maple 12" wide being sold for feature mantle shelves, 24" wide Brazilian mahogany!!! Our timber yard industry in the UK is practically down to a handful of places who may on the off-chance have an interesting board - no-one is selling like the North American stores with online catalogues of feature wood. You guys just don't know how lucky you are though my recent eBay score of 12/4 Brazilian mahogany at less than $20 a board foot has to take some beating I think...

Northwest Timber was a good call, thank you.

Great looking maple! Congrats

It really is... I am having difficulty cutting it up right now.. I am cutting turntable sets with it, but I am seeing guitars ( which I do not build...) .. Certainly there will be some really pretty uke sets... This is the nicest Maple I have come across yet, given the size of the board. The curl is super consistent, tight, really pretty.. There is just not enough of it, though there never is....

chris, I live in the middle of big leaf maple country, some people call the tree a weed it is so common. My grand son and I have a little tonewood business that sells among other local woods, perfectly quarter sawn and dried fiddleback maple cut from trees that grow in the Skagit River Vally of Washington stAte. see our website, houseandmill.com. Also check my website for pics of ukes that I have built from our abundant big leaf maple fiddleback. I can get you all of the quality fiddleback you want. I love it for backs and sides or for bindings on dark wood ukes.
brian griffin. Website. Griffinukuleles.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom