odd C.F. Martin Ukulele dimensions

cepheusG

Reaction score
Am thinking of buying a old martin Ukulele but not sure what it is that I am looking at.

Dimensions are approximately the same as those listed for the Concert at the geocities page about Martin ukes I found....body 7.75" wide, body length 10.875" but overall length is only 20.5". Could it be the neck was replaced. For further information that might be helpful the tuning pegs have black buttons other wise the resemblance seems closest to a post 1935 style 2 or is it 3....can anyone advise as it is in really fine condition and have to make an offer in next week not more!

Thanks,

cepheusG

It sounds very strange. Thinking about it, if the body is longer than a standard soprano, but the overall length is shorter than a standard soprano, the neck must be really short! Any idea of the scale length?

The easiest way to distinguish between a Style 2 and a Style 3 is by looking at the fingerboard. If it is long, goes to the sound hole, it is a style 3. The Style 2 has a short, 12-fret, board. Sometimes people get confused as to whether they are looking at a Style 2 or a Style 1. The Style 1 typically has tortoise binding (early models has rosewood binding), whereas the Style 2 has ivory binding on the outside. The black and white strip on the inside of the tortoise is purfling, not binding.

Pardon me....I am mistaken on measurements....

I remeasured and the uke is almost 23 inches or maybe a bit more long....and as the other measurements are Concert that is what I have.

Only question is what style? I think it is probably a 1 but could it be a 2? Condition overall is very good. See if I can post some pics.

Attachments

• 017CS.jpg
    017CS.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 018CS.jpg
    018CS.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 019CS.jpg
    019CS.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 020CS.jpg
    020CS.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 021CS.jpg
    021CS.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
It's a Style 1. The tortoise binding on the outside of the body is how you make the determination. Style 2 has ivory binding on the outside; meaning if you look at the side of the instrument, you see tortoise on the Style 1, on the 2 you will see ivory (white).

Also, it's post-1962 because the hot stamp inside the sound hole says "made in USA." Earlier models did not have this.

Top Bottom