medium or high tension strings

Depends on the uke. I recently put high tension strings on two of my sopranos and they were great. I put the same strings on my KoAloha longneck (concert scale) soprano and couldn't get them off fast enough. Couldn't really say why, either. It wasn't that they felt bad - but I think they made the KoAloha sound pinched.

John

So what is the purpose of med or high tension.........im guessing high tension high pitch

No, you would usually tune to the same tuning and, if anything, high tension strings would work better for lower than standard tuning.

High tension generally gives better volume and nicer tone, though if you go too far you can actually reverse that and "pinch" the volume off.

High tension also feels more precise - with standard tension strings on a short scale like a soprano the strings sometimes "catch" my fingers.

Generally sustain is improved and the notes ring better with higher tension strings - though again if you go too far that is reversed.

I wouldn't recommend high tension strings for a beginner unless they are coming from playing some other stringed instrument like a steel-string guitar.

John

Top Bottom