My Steve vanPelt custom soprano - redwood/walnut

GinnyT11

Reaction score
Today I received my Steve vanPelt custom soprano and here's how happy I am: happy.jpg

Steve's been building ukes for several years, but MGM "discovered" him at the Reno Uke Fest and posted a videotape on the Forum, and that changed things for him.
(http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ff-Another-new-maker-Reno-fest&highlight=Pelt)

I wanted a uke to commemorate my high school years in California, when we lived 30 miles north of San Francisco (and only about 45 miles from Steve's town). The day MGM's video was posted, I wrote Steve to ask if he'd make me a soprano "California uke." Steve hadn't made a soprano before, but apparently ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me" started playing in the background because he agreed.

I asked for "modest adornment" because I like a uke that looks fairly plain from a distance, getting more interesting up close when you see wood grain and construction details.
I wanted California woods: redwood and walnut. Steve had several sinker redwood sets and suggested claro walnut, and then he laid down some crazy Tasmanian tiger myrtle, which I decided would represent that one time I told my mother I was at my friend Kim's when really we were at a party in SF.
I wanted black binding because black is so slimming on women. I declined an inky-black ebony fretboard, preferring a streaky Macassar ebony. The Tassie rosette---which I love!---was Steve's idea. He also used Tassie in the offset fret markers.

Steve and I called the uke "Red" and I think she has this personality inside her.
A-M red.jpeg
I feel that if I go somewhere with this uke, especially in the evening, I should make sure I have a credit card and my passport so I will be ready for anything. Anything.

The uke is light and balanced, and its fit and finish give it a feeling of elegance and quality. This build experience was a lot of fun; I thoroughly enjoyed interaction with Steve, which was almost all by email.
I love, love, love this uke---half because Red feels great, looks stunning and sounds gorgeous, and half for getting to work with Steve vanPelt. This is the first uke with his new logo, and I feel privileged to have it.

Red's voice is low and elegant and oh, she projects! She sounds like a concert size when I hear her from another room. I think sultry is a good word for her.
I have terrible performance anxiety, so I have called Mr.T out from backstage because he has ten times the talent I have. He kindly agreed to make this sound sample.
Red is wearing Worth brown medium strings and singing into a Tascam DR05 recorder.
https://www.box.com/s/eca5b534e018d4098c48

Meet Red...

tree-1.jpg

headstocktree.jpg

backupsidedown.jpg

fretboardgrass.jpg

Last edited:
That is one gorgeous soprano and the sound is incredible!!!! That's all I can say because it is so rare and wondrous when beauty, form and sound all work together so well. Lovely!!! Thanks for sharing and keep playing!

Aloha G,
Congrats on your new SVP, I am Sooo Jealolus and want one...it is So beautiful and Steve does some of the
finest work !!!

That is one good looking and sounding uke. The name fits. Love the deep tone.

Enjoy.

Aloha Ginny,
Congrats bigtime. It's a stunner that sounds good.
Steve is a great guy. Met him at a Kanikapila in Sacramento, same time when I met Kanaka916. Steve brought a tenor he built to get reviews. I must say that it sounded as good as it looked. Someday, I'll have a SvP uke in my collection.
Enjoy your uke......................BO.......................

I'm not completely comfortable with soprano size ukes, but I wanted to add that playing this uke was special. Easy and smooth action, the finish and construction of the neck, its shape and the responsiveness of the instrument, all these things make this a wonderful uke. Such attention to detail, and so light too.
Oh, and I should say that Ginny is over the moon about this one, as she should be. She says I can play it when I want, but that's only when it isn't in her hands. : )

It's stunning Ginny. Just gorgeous, a truly lovely design in every aspect, congratulations. And thankyou Craig for a nice test drive.

Wow that is really stunning. I just love the offset fret markers, rosette and neat looking bridge Steve uses. Big congrats!

Awesome, congrats on your new ukes. I am so looking forward to my own Van Pelt!

Top Bottom