New Fluke Day!

Booksniffer

Reaction score
Well, technically it arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to post pictures then, so here she is now: my lovely Fluke!

Fluke1.jpg

All the way from Italy in under a week, from the wonderful people at http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it/.
Apart from being a very happy customer, I am not affilated with the store - but they were so very sweet and helpful that I do want to give them a mention.
Well worth checking out if you're in Europe; they even have free international shipping for orders over a certain amount!
Plus a free book with the fluke - and as you can probably tell from my username, I loooooove books.
(I have no idea by the way if those are temporary perks, or permanent ones - the English translation of the site does leave something to be desired)

This particular instrument was just over that free-shipping amount, so it was hardly any more expensive than getting a plainer one. ;)

Fluke2.jpg

I figured: when getting an instrument like a Fluke, might as well get a fun one!

I also love the two-tone headstock:

Fluke3.jpg

I had noticed that in one of the pictures on their site (another point in their favor; no stock photographs) and asked about it. Turned out they did still have that particular one in stock.

Oh, and it also plays very nicely!
It still has the dark strings (Hilo I think) on it which I don't like that much; they feel sort of sloppy. I'm waiting for a set of Ken Middleton's strings, I think those might be a good match - or else I have some Worth Browns on hand.

But I had been worried about holding it, since I read quite a few people had trouble with that, and that has absolutely not been a problem so far!
It's a lot less slippery than my white Makala Dolphin. The plastic of the Fluke has a certain texture, and I find the size and shape of the body give my right arm more to hold on to.

I might still try a Uke Leash on it, but for now I think we're getting along quite nicely without it.

It's a very reassuring thought that the instrument is sturdy (I suffer from migraines a lot and among other things they play havoc with my coordination, meaning I drop stuff and bump into things - but playing a bit of ukulele actually seems to help a little sometimes, so it will be great to have the Fluke to use then), and as others have already mentioned, the stand-uppiness of the thing is really great.

Right, off to play some more!

Lovely looking instrument. Enjoy playing it!

Thanks for the link. I'm just across the Mediterranean from them in Catalonia!

It's charming! I like the design a lot...just a hint of the islands. I hope you enjoy playing it wherever you are. This will ride well with you on your bike, right?

PS--So sorry about your migraines. I had years of them, and it really saps the fun out of a couple days. Over a decade of them, I had some luck with essence of feverfew at the very first second you feel a migraine coming on.

Great stuff! Congrats. I believe every uke player should, at some point, have either a Flea or a Fluke in the collection (or like me, both!)

Superb instruments, and serious too.

Congrats on your new Fluke...Is it a M20...I have the same one without the hibiscus flowers.... and I love it... one of my daily players Happy Strummings

Thank you everyone!!! :D

GT3T11, I might give that a try again; did try it briefly years ago, but it's probably worth giving it another shot. Thank you for the recommendation!
And yes, the Fluke will come with me anywhere, I think. :)

mm stan, it's an M10; the M20 is a tenor, I think?
I really like this concert size, tenor would (for now) be a little too big for me, probably.

I'm loving it so much!
It's a very easy instrument to play; I love the shape of the neck, too. The plastic fretboard feels absolutely fine, and I don't have any moer trouble finding frets than I do otherwise (I try not to look at the fretboard while I play, because the way I tilt it when I do makes the uke more difficult to hold)>

Top Bottom