Why When I Pluck, It Makes Thumpy Sound?

hippowong

Reaction score
Hi,

I am playing this song Tarrega’s Study in E minor and I realized whenever I pluck the E String while pressing on the 4th fret or higher, my ukulele makes a thumpy sound as if something is obstructing the string from vibrating. I have tried putting my finger in different places on the fret, but yet it still comes out thumpy. I'm not sure why.

I have a Kala Soprano Ukulele with Aquilla strings. Is it because I'm on a Soprano uke and I need to go to a concert or larger? I know Soprano aren't the best size for classical ukulele songs.

Thanks!

Sounds like the string is either too low and bottoming on the fret, or it's a duff string. First thing, before getting into complex stuff, swap the string.

If its still happening, check the nut slot isnt rough - the string should be resting in a shallow half moon groove. If it still buzzes if say the action is too low which could mean raising either the saddle or the nut. Could also be an uneven fret

Hi,

I am playing this song Tarrega’s Study in E minor and I realized whenever I pluck the E String while pressing on the 4th fret or higher, my ukulele makes a thumpy sound as if something is obstructing the string from vibrating. I have tried putting my finger in different places on the fret, but yet it still comes out thumpy. I'm not sure why.

I have a Kala Soprano Ukulele with Aquilla strings. Is it because I'm on a Soprano uke and I need to go to a concert or larger? I know Soprano aren't the best size for classical ukulele songs.

Thanks!
Let us play the other three strings one at a time above the 4th fret without thinking about a song or tune.
What I am trying to figure out, with your help hippowong, is if all the strings make the same thumping or buzzing above the 4th fret. Perhaps the saddle is too low or you have a raised 5th or 6th fret. Hold the instrument up and look along the fretboard from the bridge and saddle. Do you see a fret that is perhaps the culprit.? What clearance do you have at the 12th fret and the strings.? You are going to have such a good time doing your own tweaking, let us help with the dianosiness. We are all here.

I think everyone so far is assuming that you are talking about the string buzzing against a fret - however, I've enountered what I think you're trying to describe and if it's what I'm thinking I've encountered it before, also on a Kala with Aquila strings (albeit a pocket uke) and on the highest string, not the E. In the situation I had the string was just "plunk" with no ring on the higher frets. It definitely wasn't touching any of the other frets, it was just like it was too tight and stiff to ring. I assume it was a bad string because I changed to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings and the problem went away.

BTW, there is no way this is an issue with the nut - it's happening when you're fretting up the neck and that pretty much eliminates any cause "behind" where you're fretting (i.e. between where you're fretting and the headstock).

If what you are attempting to describe sounds like what I described above I would try some different strings, maybe some Martins, and possibly try lowering the action some at the bridge saddle end if it looks very high (mine was and I did that at the same time I changed strings so I can't say which actually fixed the problem). On the other hand, if you are getting a buzz where the string might be hitting another fret, lowering the action at the bridge saddle is the last thing you want to do!

John

I think everyone so far is assuming that you are talking about the string buzzing against a fret - however, I've enountered what I think you're trying to describe and if it's what I'm thinking I've encountered it before, also on a Kala with Aquila strings (albeit a pocket uke) and on the highest string, not the E. In the situation I had the string was just "plunk" with no ring on the higher frets. It definitely wasn't touching any of the other frets, it was just like it was too tight and stiff to ring. I assume it was a bad string because I changed to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings and the problem went away.

BTW, there is no way this is an issue with the nut - it's happening when you're fretting up the neck and that pretty much eliminates any cause "behind" where you're fretting (i.e. between where you're fretting and the headstock).

If what you are attempting to describe sounds like what I described above I would try some different strings, maybe some Martins, and possibly try lowering the action some at the bridge saddle end if it looks very high (mine was and I did that at the same time I changed strings so I can't say which actually fixed the problem). On the other hand, if you are getting a buzz where the string might be hitting another fret, lowering the action at the bridge saddle is the last thing you want to do!

John

I, too, have encountered the thump of doom ;)
Only on a particular string at a particular fret. It is a "dead note" - which I gather is kinda like the opposite of a wolf note. I guess that particular uke just can't resonate at that particular frequency in the same way it can with others....
Try changing the strings I guess?

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried to upload the sound here but I don't think I am allowed to.

I do not think its the string hitting the fret. It doesn't look like the other frets are raised or the string is sitting low. I would say the 4th and 5th and bit of the 6th fret all produce a sort of hollow thumpy sound. Very wood like. When I recorded the sound you can actually see that the string isn't vibrating as much the waves are a lot shorter in duration than the other ones.

Thanks!

I, too, have encountered the thump of doom ;)
Only on a particular string at a particular fret. It is a "dead note" - which I gather is kinda like the opposite of a wolf note. I guess that particular uke just can't resonate at that particular frequency in the same way it can with others....
Try changing the strings I guess?

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried to upload the sound here but I don't think I am allowed to.

I do not think its the string hitting the fret. It doesn't look like the other frets are raised or the string is sitting low. I would say the 4th and 5th and bit of the 6th fret all produce a sort of hollow thumpy sound. Very wood like. When I recorded the sound you can actually see that the string isn't vibrating as much the waves are a lot shorter in duration than the other ones.

Thanks!

This sounds very much like the situation Tack describes. I've seen this happen on an electric guitar where, even unplugged, it had a dead note that didn't ring as long as the others. Usually it's a fairly narrow range, one or two notes with the ones on either side perhaps being a little dead but not completely. I'm not sure there is even a fix for it because if it's really an issue with the uke construction damping that frequency then I'm not sure how you would correct it.

John

Top Bottom