FS: 2010 Kamaka Lili'u (blemished)

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor013

Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked up this Lili'u in a trade a month or two back, and after an admittedly short trial, I've decided it's not for me.

DSCF2669.jpgDSCF2670.jpgDSCF2678.jpgDSCF2679.jpg

My understanding is that it originally had a small plaque fastened to the lower bout (retirement gift, maybe?), which has since been removed. As a result, there are four small screw holes and the finish (where the plaque sat) has been marred.

DSCF2672.jpg

The good news: these imperfections do not affect tone or playability, both of which are -- as you would expect -- fantastic. Blems aside, it's a flat out beautiful uke.

The bad news: I contacted Kamaka to see about refinishing. Alice sent me a nice email back explaining that they can't quote the repair until they see it and that the current repair schedule is booked for just short of one year. So unless you have far more patience than I, prospective buyer, that's not really an option.

For what it's worth: my forearm obscures the view when I'm playing, which is to say the only time I notice the blemishes is when I'm staring at them (trying to figure out who would screw a plaque into a Kamaka!).

It comes with a fitted hard case, a humidifier, a set of Southcoasts (wound A and C), a set of Worth BMs (with which it's currently strung), and Southcoast's Bridge Bone Beads.

$675 shipped and insured CONUS. International buyers, PM me and we can work something out.

Almost forgot: the pics are about a week old. I took them to send to Kamaka, and I did it during a string change. There are actually six strings -- well, eighteen if you count the spare Worths and the Southcoasts -- and six BBBs. I can update the pics upon request.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Grrrrrr. I'm on vacation. No access to my ukes to sell to make the funds. I missed out on this beauty once before already.

Wow. That's beautiful. That vandalism is nothing short of ukulele abuse, though. Whoever did that should get 1000 lashings with a wet C string!

I feel really sad to look at the four holes. Even it is so small....

Some folks have asked for a few more pics, so here we go:

This is the most use my TWIC card has seen since it's been issued -- it fits snugly:DSCF2706.jpg

Of course, the one day I need it I can't find my good ruler; to my eyes, the strings lay 2.25 above the 12th fret:DSCF2701.jpg

And this one is, of course, overdue:DSCF2708.jpg

My camera is acting up tonight -- for some reason it doesn't want to take close-ups. If any of you want any more specific shots, please ask and I'll do my best to accommodate you.

An bunch of folks have also asked about trades, and the answer is sure, I'm always interested.

Cheers.

I was at a Kanikapila this weekend, and no fewer than FOUR people there had brass plaques affixed to their Kamakas in exactly that spot with their names engraved on them.

Oh man!

Did you ask any of them why? (I'm hoping maybe it's some cool tradition I just don't know about.)

Oh man!

Did you ask any of them why? (I'm hoping maybe it's some cool tradition I just don't know about.)
Most Ukuleles I have seen around here with plaques on them either have the name of the person on it (presumably for identification at an event like a kanikapila where there might be several Kamakas lying around, or perhaps it was a gift) or they are prizes - I have seen one that says "Tahiti Fete - First Place" that kind of thing. The Abrigo Ohana Kanikapila is where I went this weekend - here is a picture of them I just found, you can see the plaque on her Kamaka on the right.
f551b5_877503f066bc4bfa02db5ac250111d34.jpg_1024

Alright ladies and gentlemen, an apology is in order: I think I mis-judged the market value for this uke.

An 8 string sold on eBay recently for $780 (and it didn't have any holes in it!).

That combined with the Pono 6 string 2nds made me re-evaluate, so let's try $675 shipped and insured. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom