Need to brush up on the basics...

MatChippUK

Reaction score
I've been playing the Uke for around a year now, but seem to be in a bit of a rut, and have decided that I really need to work on my basic technique. So my question is... what are the best books/resources out there to help me work on my basic ukein' toolkit that aren't aimed too directly at the total novice? Thanks.

The very best resource I have found for just that scenario is to join a club/group/gathering and play with other people. It is amazing how much "rubs off" just by watching others play and having them watch you play.

I've been playing the Uke for around a year now, but seem to be in a bit of a rut, and have decided that I really need to work on my basic technique. So my question is... what are the best books/resources out there to help me work on my basic ukein' toolkit that aren't aimed too directly at the total novice? Thanks.

You're not alone, I'm in exactly the same place. Been playing for a year now, and growing tired of playing the same few songs I've learned, but finding it hard to learn new songs. Also, my uke knowledge and technique just feels kind of shaky.

So, I'm working through the book & CD that came with my first uke, which is Play Ukulele Today (A Complete Guide to the Basics), from Hal Leonard.

I'm also going through The Ukulele Explosion, the new e-book from R. J. Smith, which seems really good. He has an easy, conversational style of writing, and the book presents a lot of basic concepts in ways I haven't thought of before.

Although I'm not knocking out any new songs, I feel like I'm gaining competence and confidence by focusing on some fundamentals now, that I'll be able to build on later (if that makes any sense).

Anyway, that's just where I'm at. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
The very best resource I have found for just that scenario is to join a club/group/gathering and play with other people. It is amazing how much "rubs off" just by watching others play and having them watch you play.
I agree with that. Good suggestion.

Also see if there's an open Mic near you. You don't have to be brilliant to play at one, but playing in front of others means you have to work at getting your material right. It's daunting at first but you get used to it. You also need to work at learning new songs as the same people tend to go each week. If you don't sing, fine. Play multiinstead. People won't mind. In fact they may well enjoy the change as most people sing at these things.

...... I'm also going through The Ukulele Explosion, the new e-book from R. J. Smith, which seems really good. He has an easy, conversational style of writing, and the book presents a lot of basic concepts in ways I haven't thought of before......

Can you provide a link? I performed a Google search but couldn't find this e-book. Thanks!

You've already found the best resource as your here. Why don't you go to the home page and check out UU+ it has all the basics and more for a very reasonable price.

I absolutely LOVE "Fingerstyle" by Mark Nelson. The songs are playable, the CD has great accompaniment and fun to play along with and the exercises are progressive. If you do what he tells you, you will brush up and exceed your old level in no time. Lot of styles, fingerstyle, slack guitar, good music.

When I was first starting out, this is one of the things I did. I was terrified that I would be the suckiest player at the meet-up, but there were varying skill levels. I did watch how others held their ukes, and how they fingered chords, and everyone just shared tips and experiences. Not to mention being able to try a wide variety of other ukes- This is how I decided the Tenor size was way too big.

It also helped me gain confidence in my playing, knowing I wasn't doing anything that was necessarily wrong. There's nothing like watching someone in-person.

Please feel free to click on the Ukulele Boot Camp and FREE Songbook links, also the Self-Examination Tool
for Ukulele Proficiency :)

I hope you will find these helpful.

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom