PDA

View Full Version : Pono Mahogany Blem/Refurbished ukes

Doc_J
06-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Hey folks,

Saw 2 deals on concert and soprano Pono Mahogany Blem/Refurbished ukes on ebay. I do not know the seller.

Seems like Pono was clearing out their returns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pono-MC-Concert-Ukulele-/110902834910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d252f6de#ht_500wt_922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pono-MS-Soprano-Ukulele-/110902824670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d252cede#ht_500wt_922

Update: All have been sold.

diggah
06-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the head's up, this is a considerable upgrade for me.

The other good news is that my Kala KA-P is soon to be my beater uke of choice. :cool:

kvehe
06-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Re Pono clearing out their returns - yes, the PayPal payment goes to Ko'olau.

fabioponta
06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Great prices in conparision to Hawaiian Music Supply (soprano = $299). I'll try a soprano if the seller send by USPS Priority or Express to me in Brazil. If I really make a deal, I'll return here to comment.

connor013
06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I snagged a concert. If it shows up without any gaping cracks in it it's a steal. Psyched.

hemant123
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Yikes, only 2 left of the concert

Doc_J
06-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Yikes, only 2 left of the concert

I see concerts 12 left. and 20 sopranos (actually it looks like no one has bought any of the soprano ukes... Hmmmm?)

Hippie Dribble
06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
incredible prices...makes me wonder how bad the blemishes are...
but gee, some plastic ukes are up around the 130 mark these days...seems like it'd be hard to go wrong here...hmmm :confused: thanks for the info and link doc

OldePhart
06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Must...not...press..."buy"

If I didn't already have a great mahogany soprano I'd be all over it, though.

John

kvehe
06-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Must...not...press..."buy"

If I didn't already have a great mahogany soprano I'd be all over it, though.

John

Oh, come on; be a sport! :D

katysax
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I've bought guitars marked as seconds in the past. Usually what gets marked as seconds have blemishes that are hard to see. One of the most beautiful looking, best playing, and great sounding guitars I ever owned was a second.

At this time 9 concerts have been sold and none of the sopranos. I wonder why. Maybe because people looking for an inexpensive soprano are beginners. Folks who have been playing a while seem to prefer concerts, tenors or long neck sopranos. One of my ukes is a soprano KoAloha and I love its sound, vibe and looks but I find the neck too limiting. I bought one of these pono concert seconds. It's a great price, and it would be nice to have another concert that I can tune to the reentrant high G.

RichM
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I've bought guitars marked as seconds in the past. Usually what gets marked as seconds have blemishes that are hard to see. One of the most beautiful looking, best playing, and great sounding guitars I ever owned was a second.

Blems are awesome-- for dealing with an imperfection that's often hard to find, you safe a bunch of money. I've never known a blem from a reputable builder that had any issues with tone or playability. My Mainland was sold as a second because of a slight knot in the wood. It plays great, sounds great, and I've never had a day where the blemish has bothered me.

Those Ponos are a great deal. I'm another one who keeps hovering over the buy button, but is totally over-uked. Hey, all you people who ask "What should my first uke be?"!!!! Go get one of these!

whit
06-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Shipping: Worldwide.

Check-out: "Seller does not ship internationally."

That was easy.

Lideruke
06-24-2012, 04:09 PM
I hope they have some ACD's or ASD's coming soon! I'm fighting UAS regarding those, but I'd almost certainly give in for that kind of price reduction.

Doc_J
06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I hope they have some ACD's or ASD's coming soon! I'm fighting UAS regarding those, but I'd almost certainly give in for that kind of price reduction.

I'll bet they reduce the price of the sopranos, since they are not selling. These Ponos are a great deal, but I've already got some neglected ukes. Still I do need a mahogany concert.:)

How can anyone not want one after this demo/review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNHssy87a4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

connor013
06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I'll bet they reduce the price of the sopranos, since they are not selling. These Ponos are a great deal, but I've already got some neglected ukes. Still I do need a mahogany concert.:)

Makes sense; if they don't sell what happens to seconds?

RichM: you're absolutely right -- great deal. Pull the trigger.
(Lideruke: great profile pic)

Hippie Dribble
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Shipping: Worldwide.

Check-out: "Seller does not ship internationally."

That was easy.
oh ok. saw the 'worldwide' to but sent an email re shipping cost and got no reply. there it is then...

fabioponta
06-24-2012, 05:11 PM
oh ok. saw the 'worldwide' to but sent an email re shipping cost and got no reply. there it is then...

I stay here just whait the message to know the shipping costs to Brazil and pull the BUY button.

Doc_J
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Another stellar Pono MC video....Bach anyone?
(If this uke would make one play this well, everyone would buy one. Alas, it is more the player than the instrument.)

http://youtu.be/H0ZBTFNH-2E

didgeridoo2
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Anyone ever switch out the geared tuners on the concert Pono? I think I wouldn't mind it as beach concert if I could switch em to friction tuners.

andare
06-25-2012, 07:25 AM
So the seller replied to my requesrt. They do ship internationally. I sent him my location (Poland) and I'm awaiting an estimate. It'll probably be overkill, about $80, almost doubling the price.
This and the fact that no sample blemishes are shown in the pictures and no returns are possible require too big a leap for me.
What do you guys think?

mattydee
06-25-2012, 07:39 AM
This deal was too good to pass up... I'm on a pretty strict one-in one-out policy right now, so once this one ships and comes in, be on the lookout for a well used Kala ASAC-C here on the marketplace!

fabioponta
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Why the seller don't replied my message with this same question? maybe because I'm in South-America. The poor world (without crisis, but still poor):iwant:

davo17
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up i just ordered a concert! I didn't need another Uke but who could pass that up?

andare
06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Got a reply: $135 to ship to Poland. More than the uke itself!
I'll stick to my Dolphin :-)

fabioponta
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
What kind od shipping method the seller choose? FEdex 2nd day? USPS Priority is far away less. It would be something like U$50 to a soprano without case.

OldePhart
06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
This deal was too good to pass up... I'm on a pretty strict one-in one-out policy right now, so once this one ships and comes in, be on the lookout for a well used Kala ASAC-C here on the marketplace!

I'm still waffling on picking up one but I'm trying (and mostly failing) to implement the one-in, one-out rule myself and I can't think of any of my ukes I'd really be willing to "trade" for the Pono.

Besides which, it's kind of either a uke or a good condensor mic and I think I need the latter, more. The SM57 and SM58 I have are okay for vocals but they just don't cut it for recording acoustic ukes.

John

RichM
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Only two concerts left.... the pressure mounts....:)

mattydee
06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm still waffling on picking up one but I'm trying (and mostly failing) to implement the one-in, one-out rule myself and I can't think of any of my ukes I'd really be willing to "trade" for the Pono.

Besides which, it's kind of either a uke or a good condensor mic and I think I need the latter, more. The SM57 and SM58 I have are okay for vocals but they just don't cut it for recording acoustic ukes.

John

Yeah -- I've been a little iffy on this Kala of late, so this came at exactly the right time. The Kala has a lot of bling, and i've gotten a ton of use out of it, but it's just too mellow for me, I think. People speak so highly of the Pono brand that it seemed like a no-brainer -- even though I shouldn't be spending anything at all right now. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. <cries>

perep
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
HEY, this is a no brainer. HELLO?

Hippie Dribble
06-25-2012, 02:12 PM

I got the same answer...$130 to Australia. I replied that from my (too wide) experience USPS International Priority costs $60 or less and unless he would do it that way I was not at all interested. Funny how a 130 dollar uke can turn into a 260 dollar one in the blink of an eye

didgeridoo2
06-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I got the same answer...$130 to Australia. I replied that from my (too wide) experience USPS International Priority costs $60 or less and unless he would do it that way I was not at all interested. Funny how a 130 dollar uke can turn into a 260 dollar one in the blink of an eye
Too bad it has to be that way for you international folks. Hopefully it isn't too good to be true. I ordered a concert and also some deluxe friction tuners from Mainland to slap on it. I'll use it for travel to the Jersey (Joisey) shore this summer and to the beach out here when I get the opportunity to drive on over.

whepper
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I always wanted a mahogany soprano so I just ordered one. I've checked some YouTube vids and as an owner of 2 tenors it's the soprano that'll add value to my collection! Shipping to the Netherlands was $85... FedEx Economy.

Doc_J
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Maybe a better alternative is to get a Mainland mahogany soprano as Mike sells 1st quality for $189.50, set up right and he will definitely internationally ship the least costly way. He might even have a blem to sell at a discount.

diggah
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I had ordered a concert on Sunday and arranged for local pick-up. Took a long lunch and drove up to Wahiawa to get it today. Two things:

-John Kitakis is a super nice guy, and his staff is courteous and professional. All around good people.

-The uke they had pulled for me was a definite keeper, there was what appeared to be a slight irregularity in one corner of the neck joint (more like a discoloration) it was not a big deal.

I mentioned that at some point I would love to get my hands on a blemished tenor, and he was actually nice enough to dig one up for me. It did cost a bit more, but it was also exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, I donít spend a lot of time in the market for ukes and I donít claim to be an authority on the matter. But if youíre sitting on the fence because youíre worried about the condition of the instruments or the character of the seller my advice is not to.

wdonley
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up i just ordered a concert! I didn't need another Uke but who could pass that up?
I had to pick one up, too. Been wanting a mahogany uke......

Nuprin
06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I mentioned that at some point I would love to get my hands on a blemished tenor, and he was actually nice enough to dig one up for me. It did cost a bit more, but it was also exactly what I was looking for.

Do you know if they have anymore blemished tenors? Were they the MT models? I've been hoping to see them appear on Ebay.

RichM
06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Concerts all gone now... sopranos still available.

diggah
06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Do you know if they have anymore blemished tenors? Were they the MT models? I've been hoping to see them appear on Ebay.

It was an MT, he had couple more and a few glossy ones that went for more. I'm not sure when or if they'll go up on ebay. It seemed to me that he tends to unload a fair amount of this kind of stuff locally. You might want to call and ask if you're interested, the contact information is on the Ko'olau Guitar website.

Nuprin
06-26-2012, 02:47 AM
It was an MT, he had couple more and a few glossy ones that went for more. I'm not sure when or if they'll go up on ebay. It seemed to me that he tends to unload a fair amount of this kind of stuff locally. You might want to call and ask if you're interested, the contact information is on the Ko'olau Guitar website.

Thanks for the info!

Lideruke
06-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Just one soprano left!
I sent a message asking If there will be any ASD's or ACD's coming :iwant:

OldePhart
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Just one soprano left!
I sent a message asking If there will be any ASD's or ACD's coming :iwant:

Huh? I just checked and it shows 10 left, 10 sold...at lunch time it was "more than 10 left, 8 sold" - are you sure you weren't looking at the concerts?

I wish it was just one left - we'd be that much closer to when the temptation would be over. :)

John

RichM
06-26-2012, 11:29 AM
When the Concerts were first listed, there were 10 Available... and after about 8 of them sold, there were suddenly 20 Available. I suspect that the same is true of the Sopranos-- the number available was upped as it became clear that these thing were gonna move.

uke42
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The concerts are sold out but there are still 10 sopronos still for sale :) I was able to overcome my UAS and not buy a concert but the price for the soprono makes it tempting. And me with no soprono uke in my collection. Can I hold out and not by one before they sellout?!? This would make a nice gift for my niece who's starting to play.

GinnyT11
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I was able to overcome my UAS and not buy a concert but the price for the soprono makes it tempting. And me with no soprono uke in my collection. Can I hold out and not by one before they sellout?!? This would make a nice gift for my niece who's starting to play.

I think you should buy a Pono soprano and break it in for your niece. :)
If it turns out she's not interested, you've got yourself a quality mahogany soprano uke. If your whole life falls apart, you can sell it on Craigslist for that nice price you paid.

mattydee
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
When the Concerts were first listed, there were 10 Available... and after about 8 of them sold, there were suddenly 20 Available. I suspect that the same is true of the Sopranos-- the number available was upped as it became clear that these thing were gonna move.

Closer inspection reveals "more than 10 available/ x sold." Once there are fewer than ten, it becomes the actual number left. As you say, on the concert page, now sold out, it was originally 20.

But who cares. There should be none left at these prices.

uke42
06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I think you should buy a Pono soprano and break it in for your niece. :)
If it turns out she's not interested, you've got yourself a quality mahogany soprano uke. If your whole life falls apart, you can sell it on Craigslist for that nice price you paid.

Makes sense to me...wait...what...dude your not helping my UAS by giving me logical reasons to buy one. I only buy ukes when I make an emotional connection with them. And right now I emotionally really really want one ;)

uke42
06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Now there's only 9 sopranos left. Well I hope my niece likes it :)

Lideruke
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Huh? I just checked and it shows 10 left, 10 sold...at lunch time it was "more than 10 left, 8 sold" - are you sure you weren't looking at the concerts?

I wish it was just one left - we'd be that much closer to when the temptation would be over. :)

John

You know, I think I misread it. As punishment, I bought one.

fabioponta
06-26-2012, 04:04 PM
So... I bought one. A soprano right now.

whit
06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
When the $125 became $215 with shipping (and before the bandits at Customs get their claws into it), I was easily convinced to move along. I may have been tempted for a concert - but I'll stick with my original plan for the pineapple.

fabioponta
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
When the $125 became $215 with shipping (and before the bandits at Customs get their claws into it), I was easily convinced to move along. I may have been tempted for a concert - but I'll stick with my original plan for the pineapple.

With the original price at $299 (on hawaiian music supply), the final price at U$215 shipping included looks good.

GinnyT11
06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Now there's only 9 sopranos left. Well I hope my niece likes it :)

Niece....what niece?

(BTW, I had one of these a while back and I liked it very much; I just had things I wanted more and I sold it to fund those. I've been practicing my zen meditation to keep this discount one from entering my mind.)

Doc_J
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Looks like we are safe from UAS from these Ponos, as they are all sold.

fabioponta
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
So fast! I talk by email with John Kitakis some minutes ago, and he stay preparing the shipping to my soprano right now!

GinnyT11
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Doc. Praise be that the threat has passed and our heart rates can return to normal.

Do you think there will be any blems in the container of Islanders that MGM reports has arrived?

mattydee
06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Whew. I was considering adding a soprano to my concert, simply because the deal was so good... I already have a mahogany soprano, from Mainland, which is currently my favorite uke. Guess I'll just have to settle for the concert.

Doc_J
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Doc. Praise be that the threat has passed and our heart rates can return to normal.

Do you think there will be any blems in the container of Islanders that MGM reports has arrived?

One can only hope. :)

Matty, if you got a Mainland mahogany soprano, that base is covered.
But another uke never hurts. :)

OldePhart
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
You know, I think I misread it. As punishment, I bought one.

BWAAA-HAAAA - that's my kind of punishment!

OldePhart
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Whew. I was considering adding a soprano to my concert, simply because the deal was so good... I already have a mahogany soprano, from Mainland, which is currently my favorite uke. Guess I'll just have to settle for the concert.

Yeah...that was what helped me refrain. I have Mainland sopranos in mango and mahogany and I can't abide the thought of giving either of those up so it would be really difficult to try to stick to the "one in, one out rule." Fortunately, I didn't think about my Kiwaya longneck soprano as I might have considered giving it up for another mahogany soprano to keep in D tuning... :)

uke42
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Niece....what niece?

You know what I totally forgot that I had already given her a soprano uke to play. Silly me now what am I going to do with this uke? I guess I have to keep if for now ;)

kvehe
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
D tuning....okay! Now I know what I'm going to do with it! (Yes, Ginny, I caved and bought a soprano.......)

AndrewKuker
06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
These were priced better than dealer cost, it's not like we jack the price up. But what are you gonna do with cosmetic blems. They just sit there. Usually with some finish flaw you have to catch in the right light. Neglected for not being perfect.When you're really lovin' a uke you only give it occasional glances.:cool:

fabioponta
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Has anyone ever received? My soprano is already underway, but should still take about 15 days to get to my house.

Hippie Dribble
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Has anyone ever received? My soprano is already underway, but should still take about 15 days to get to my house.

Fabio, have you also seen the latest batch offered, the MSD model sopranos with the high gloss finish? Only $60 more...

fabioponta
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Fabio, have you also seen the latest batch offered, the MSD model sopranos with the high gloss finish? Only $60 more...
Eugene, I saw, but now the freight to Brazil increased. The Pono MS cost U$85 and this MSD is more than $120. And I always prefer to satin finish ... this is my fetish. hehe. While I think the sound is better without gloss.

mattydee
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have a ship date yet? I bought a concert on Monday, and eBay says it still hasn't shipped...

Hippie Dribble
06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have a ship date yet? I bought a concert on Monday, and eBay says it still hasn't shipped...

when I ordered from these guys in the past Matt, there's normally a few day turnover as they do a final setup I think. Plus, they deal with so many sales that involve shipping, there's a little lag time.

fabioponta
06-29-2012, 03:39 PM

I receive a Fedex shipping info directly from John Kitakis, by Koolau store, but this happened to me because I live in Brazil, and he had to ask for extra information by email to finalize the Fedex shipping.

didgeridoo2
06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I didn't get any notice through eBay, but my uke arrived today. It was shipped to my work and I wasn't in today. I will be in tomorrow.

fabioponta
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I didn't get any notice through eBay, but my uke arrived today. It was shipped to my work and I wasn't in today. I will be in tomorrow.
oh, cool, let us know your first impression tomorrow!

uke42
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
My Pono soprono uke was waiting for me when I got home. Thanks John Kitakis. Also didn't receive any eBay notice. It came packed in a cardboard triangular box and was wrapped in bubble wrap. Unable to find any blemishes or flaws at first glance. Sounds really nice. My first Mahogany uke :) Happy with it so far.

katysax
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
In a fit of madness I bought two of the ponos - the concert and the soprano. They came today and I have looked over both of them for some time and can't find any evidence of any kind of flaw. There must be something but it isn't easy to see.

Both are really nice. My other soprano is a Koa Ko'aloha and my other concert is an Islander laminated. These two Ponos are very different from both of those. I might prefer the neck on the Islander. I might prefer the sound of the Pono concert a bit more. The two sopranos are very different. It was insanity to buy one, let alone both, but what the heck.

They both came in very good shape and other than tuning I couldn't see any need for further set up.

uke42
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I found the blemishes on my new uke. A little tiny almost unnoticeable cut and a couple of what I think are sanding marks on the right side of the head stock. Wouldn't of seen it if I wasn't looking so intently for flaws.

mattydee
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Cool... Looks like they hit the west coast today. I bet they'll get to me in the Midwest Tuesday or Wednesday.

Woohoo!

wdonley
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Cool... Looks like they hit the west coast today. I bet they'll get to me in the Midwest Tuesday or Wednesday.
Woohoo!
Got mine today. I'm in San Luis Obispo. Used it on a gig tonite! Very nice. Luv the sound. Can't find the "2nd" problem. Looks and sounds great!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Very cool that Ko'olau let these go at such incredible prices. Congrats, everyone, on amazing deals and on your new amazing new ukes!

didgeridoo2
06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Finally got in to see what this little concert was all about. Like others, I am hard pressed to find the blemish. It was set up well and intonation seems to be pretty good. I had purchased some of Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings and I was unimpressed with the stock strings, so I switched them out to the LW strings. I also had picked up a set of deluxe friction tuners from Mainland and switched the Pono tuners out. This really helped to balance the uke since it's pretty light and I prefer friction tuners on concert ukes. The strings are still settling in, but I'm very impressed and more than satisfied to have jumped on this opportunity. It's gonna be a great little uke.

Doc_J
06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the updates. What type of Ko'olau strings were on the Ponos, Alohi or Mahana strings?

Alohi strings have a slight purple tint. Mahana strings are clear nylon.

didgeridoo2
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the updates. What type of Ko'olau strings were on the Ponos, Alohi or Mahana strings?

Alohi strings have a slight purple tint. Mahana strings are clear nylon.

I guess it was the Mahana strings then. I had tried the Gold strings on an all mahogany uke before and didn't like those much either.

fabioponta
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I guess it was the Mahana strings then. I had tried the Gold strings on an all mahogany uke before and didn't like those much either.
Mine MS soprano still don't arrived, and I'm between Aquila Nylgut or Worth Brown CM strings... But I'm still don't know.:confused:
Someone know if this mahogany soprano Pono sounds good with the new (or old) Nylgut Aquilas? I tried Aquilas in a Pono Mahogany Concert last year and it sounds a little muted...
Mine will be the last to arrive :iwant:

mattydee
06-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Finally got in to see what this little concert was all about. Like others, I am hard pressed to find the blemish. It was set up well and intonation seems to be pretty good. I had purchased some of Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings and I was unimpressed with the stock strings, so I switched them out to the LW strings. I also had picked up a set of deluxe friction tuners from Mainland and switched the Pono tuners out. This really helped to balance the uke since it's pretty light and I prefer friction tuners on concert ukes. The strings are still settling in, but I'm very impressed and more than satisfied to have jumped on this opportunity. It's gonna be a great little uke.

Can you tell me a little about the process of switching out tuners? I'd love to do that if it's a relatively easy thing...

didgeridoo2
06-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Can you tell me a little about the process of switching out tuners? I'd love to do that if it's a relatively easy thing...

It's very simple. I've done it before with a Kala Travel soprano. The folks at Koolau suggested Stew Mac tuners, I've used the deluxe tuners from Mainland before so I went that way again. The only issue is you're left with the holes from the removed screws which I plan to fill with a Minwax Blend-Fil Pencil. I could just leave em and be fine with it, but I'll fill them anyway. There is a little bit of glue residue, but not enough to bother with, IMO.

mattydee
06-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Are the holes for the posts generally the same size? I'd be loath to try to ream/fill them at all...

didgeridoo2
06-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Are the holes for the posts generally the same size? I'd be loath to try to ream/fill them at all...
These Mainland tuners fit well. No reaming, or plugging necessary.

katysax
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I've been looking closely at the Pono Refurb soprano and Concert that I received, and I think these might be New Old Stock.

I have a Pono AT that I got from HMS recently and the label is different from the label in the soprano and concert. The new Pono label is smaller and the background is a gold color. The labels in the soprano and concert are larger and above the mountain range the label is a brown color that blends into the Uke.

uke42
07-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I've been looking closely at the Pono Refurb soprano and Concert that I received, and I think these might be New Old Stock.

I have a Pono AT that I got from HMS recently and the label is different from the label in the soprano and concert. The new Pono label is smaller and the background is a gold color. The labels in the soprano and concert are larger and above the mountain range the label is a brown color that blends into the Uke.

I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before but my refurb Pono MS didn't even have a label. Weird. I'm pretty sure it didn't fall off.

jazzbo
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I got my concert today and it sounds great and the notes ring out strong all the way up the fretboard. My flaw was on the side of the fretboard where there was what appeared to be smeared super glue. I managed to remove it and smooth the area out with #0000 steel wool, and it's lookin' good.

btw, after playing for 15 minutes, I loked at it again and noticed that my fingernails were making light scratches in the satin finish, above and below the neck. Is this normal for satin and are the other ones doing the same thing?

Jcollazo
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
btw, after playing for 15 minutes, I loked at it again and noticed that my fingernails were making light scratches in the satin finish, above and below the neck. Is this normal for satin and are the other ones doing the same thing?

Nail marks are quite common on satin finish instruments. The harder glossy finish will minimize those, to a point. To me, it adds character.

uke42
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Nail marks are quite common on satin finish instruments. The harder glossy finish will minimize those, to a point. To me, it adds character.

Caught my dog playing my uke. Now it has teeth marks. I guess that adds character ;)

perep
07-02-2012, 10:48 AM
JUst today got both the concert & tenor 6 string. Both play well, cannot find where the blem is though. I think I will sell the Tenor as I cannot get used to the 6 strings, Look for it on this forum, I will give it a couple days. The gig bag is very nice also

kvehe
07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
I was out of town for two days, and found the concert and six-string tenor waiting when I returned. I can't find the concert blemish; the tenor has a tiny scratch on the top, between the bridge and the sound hole. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for something. No sign of the soprano yet, which is odd because it was the second of the three purchases. If it's not here by Wednesday, I'll inquire.

Kathryn

bhart
07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
My soprano arrived this evening, and it is SO sweet! I really love its playability and sound. I can see a few little microscopic blemishes in the finish, but as others have said, I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for them. This has been such a wonderful week!

whepper
07-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Mine arrived today (the Netherlands). I've a soprano, yeah my first. It's so small, but has a really nice sweet sound. It has a great setup and is easy to play. I found the blemishes, but I also had to look for them. There's some little golden stuff on the side of the fretboard on the side that is pointing down. Not an issue at all. It plays great, so for me this was a fantastic deal. Mine is made in China (not Indonesia anymore?) and has a date stamp of 2011 04.

Doc_J
07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
A Pono MC arrived today here in Georgia this morning. :D Any 'flaws' were insignificant and essentially unnoticeable (unless you hunt for them...small strum marks, slight discoloration on at tiny little fragment, a little rough on the bottom edge of the fretboard...). I have had 1st quality instruments (including customs) that were not as nice. The sound and build quality are very impressive, really. Even the Mahana (clear nylon) strings that come on it sound pretty good- nice and warm, well suited to the uke. Although I think some FC strings may sound better to me. Oh, and the setup was perfect for me!

Thanks to John Kitakis for making these Pono ukes available at such a great price.

Lideruke
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
So my soprano arrived today. It looks perfect. Sounds bad. The C string seems off, stretching it out a bit has improved the sound, but the quality degrades the further I go up the neck. Will it settle/sound better with time? Is it just a bad string? Any thoughts?

fabioponta
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
So my soprano arrived today. It looks perfect. Sounds bad. The C string seems off, stretching it out a bit has improved the sound, but the quality degrades the further I go up the neck. Will it settle/sound better with time? Is it just a bad string? Any thoughts?

Put Worth Brown or Martin strings on It. Your new pono will sound much better.

OldePhart
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Try tuning the string while fretting at about the second fret. If it then sounds better up the neck but not so good open I would look closely at the slot in the nut. Make sure it tapers down towards the tuner side so the string breaks cleanly right at fret-side edge of the nut. Also examine the saddle to make sure nothing is strange there. Also, make sure nothing got between the string and the nut or bridge (sometimes you can get a bit of flash at the back of the nut slot from filing the slot - if that gets folded or pulled up into the slot as the string is being put on it could cause a problem. Basically, anything that would make the string contact either the bridge or the nut in an unusual place is going to cause intonation problems.

If those look okay I'd try changing the string. It's possible you've got a damaged string or even a string of the wrong gage there. The latter shouldn't really happen with a uke that's been set up by the folks at Ko'Olau but stuff happens sometimes.

fabioponta
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Mine arrived today (the Netherlands). I've a soprano, yeah my first. It's so small, but has a really nice sweet sound. It has a great setup and is easy to play. I found the blemishes, but I also had to look for them. There's some little golden stuff on the side of the fretboard on the side that is pointing down. Not an issue at all. It plays great, so for me this was a fantastic deal. Mine is made in China (not Indonesia anymore?) and has a date stamp of 2011 04.

You found a "Made in China" inside?

didgeridoo2
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
You found a "Made in China" inside?

Mine's made in China too. Was a little surprised since I thought Indonesia.

whit
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Not directly related, but the label of my MT (#110812) reads "Hand Crafted on the Island of Java, Final Assembly & Set-up on the Island of O'ahu." Both of my Pro Classic models were made in China.

mattydee
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Got my concert ten minutes ago. It's the lightest uke I own! And like everyone else, it took me a long time to find the flaws which are a couple of very slight blemishes in the finish and a tiny tiny ding near the bridge. A-maze-ing deal.

AndrewKuker
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Doc J- Wasn't me. I am not involved in selling these seconds in any way. once in a while we will take a second for the store to sell at a discount but nothing like that deal. There are not that many seconds because Koolau goes to the factory regularly and they know what is expected.

As far as where they are made.... Originally in Indonesia at a larger factory that did OEM. They then found a small shop that made fantastic guitars in northern China, nowhere even close to any factories where most mass production happens. They taught them to build ukes and they built exclusively for Pono. This improved the line but they would still constantly be there trying to get things perfect, and they would have quite a few seconds, mostly because they have very high standards. But, they closed the China shop because they found the most amazing builder in Indonesia. Also on the island of Java like originally, but of another caliber in build quality and tonal understanding. They are now one climate controlled exclusive shop on the island of Java. and I am pretty sure that's where it will stay.

kvehe
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM

My thoughts exactly; looks perfect, sounds horrendous. I'll examine the things suggested by our fine UU friends, and then try other strings.

missameeames
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Many thanks Doc_J for posting this great deal, and thanks to the Ko'olau family for offering such an amazing deal! My MS arrived and I couldn't be happier with it (although DH had a huge frown on his face when he saw that yet another odd shaped boxed arrived :) ). It's exactly the uke that I didn't know I was looking for, but was desperately in need of.

whepper
07-04-2012, 02:32 AM
As far as where they are made.... Originally in Indonesia at a larger factory that did OEM. They then found a small shop that made fantastic guitars in northern China, nowhere even close to any factories where most mass production happens. They taught them to build ukes and they built exclusively for Pono. This improved the line but they would still constantly be there trying to get things perfect, and they would have quite a few seconds, mostly because they have very high standards. But, they closed the China shop because they found the most amazing builder in Indonesia. Also on the island of Java like originally, but of another caliber in build quality and tonal understanding. They are now one climate controlled exclusive shop on the island of Java. and I am pretty sure that's where it will stay.

Thanks for the explanation Andrew!

Trinimon
07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Doh! Missed out on this deal. Wouldn't mind a soprano. I'll have to keep my eyes out for any more that pop up. :)

fabioponta
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I received my Pono MS soprano today. Fast shipping from Hawaii to Brazil via Fedex, very light uke with a perfect finish: almost imperceptible details for strumming at the top. I put Martin M600 strings and sounded wonderful.

connor013
07-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Woooo! Pono's hit NE today.

One smudge on the treble side of the upper bout -- right where the strum marks will live after I play the $&@! out of this one. Great deal.

Cheers to the Kitakis'.