Going to See the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

frets alot

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited...we got tickets to go see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain in October. Met a gal at Elderly's when I was picking up a new uke, and she said they were coming to Traverse City. So, we got tickets. Anyone seen them? If so, do they put on a good show?

Haven't seen them live but I've probably seen every video on youtube and I've not seen one audience member frowning... :)

Congrats you lucky dog!

They put on a great show. Apart from being brilliant musicians, they're also very funny people in the great British tradition of self-deprecation.

I was lucky enough to spend some time hanging with them at a beach in Australia, while filming as an extra with them during their recent tour. They were jamming along with us local amateurs between takes and seemed to be enjoying it almost as much as we were - or as much as very pale British people in black suits and frocks can on a sweltering beach!

Have a blast at the show - and take your uke - you get to participate.

The UOGB was supposed to come to southern california in spring 2011 to play on the same bill as Jake Shimabukuro. I even bought tickets. But the UOGB ended up canceling (there were rumors that it was unable to get funding for the trip), so I ended up seeing Jake the following week in San Francisco instead. I'd love to see the UOGB live. I'm envious. Have a great time and please provide a full post-concert report.

Absolutely they let you do this. I've seen videos with everyone in the audience waving their ukes around. Probably works best with a soprano or a pocket uke.

If it weren't a, oh, I don't know, ten-hour drive, I'd be there too. Or maybe I could go to East Lansing and shave a little bit off the trip.

Lucky you!

Kathryn

I've got a Kala Thinline Tenor that would probably be just fine to take. I can't wait. :rock:
Thanks for the insight..I'd hate to show up and wish I had taken it.

I emailed the UOGB and got this response:

"The Ukes did, indeed, encourage participation at a BBC Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 2009, when the audience was invited to bring their ukuleles and play along to Beethoven’s ‘Ode To Joy’. A similar event was also organized at some of the concerts in New Zealand.
I’m afraid, however, that audience participation is not included in the current shows. Though please feel free to bring a ukulele to be signed at the merchandise desk after the performance!"

So, doesn't look like I'll be taking my uke afterall. :( Rats, that would have been fun.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've listened to " Teenage Dirtbag " on YouTube. I'd have about two bucks.

Looking forward to the concert on the 13th. Will post my thoughts here after the concert. Can't wait to see the group. :music::rock:

It looks like audience participation is back on. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyeyB9dU30Q

I saw them twice last year and it was a blast. Even though I'd seen every youtube video, it was still awesome. Plus they came out to chat and socialize afterwards.

I emailed the UOGB and got this response:

"The Ukes did, indeed, encourage participation at a BBC Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 2009, when the audience was invited to bring their ukuleles and play along to Beethoven’s ‘Ode To Joy’. A similar event was also organized at some of the concerts in New Zealand.
I’m afraid, however, that audience participation is not included in the current shows. Though please feel free to bring a ukulele to be signed at the merchandise desk after the performance!"

So, doesn't look like I'll be taking my uke afterall. :( Rats, that would have been fun.
Yes, I was there! HUGE fun.... at the Albert Hall, (London) June 2009. About 1000 ukes including mine in the audience! You could sign up to get the music in advance, so that you could practice it for the audience participation number! Just simple chords and a bit of melody-picking, nothing difficult - but it's amazing how, if there are not actually any other ukes VERY near, you feel as if you are the only one playing! Now that was a bit scary! They put on a great show. Hope you have a great time!

Haven't seen them yet, but I'm going to that show along with 2 other people in my Uke Club. Its a VERY long drive for us but I think it will be worth it!! Can't wait!!!

I bought tickets to the show at Strathmore Hall (Rockville, MD on Oct 20). the Strathmore website says to bring your uke for a strum along and they had a link for the tabs and instructional video. they had the tabs with melody, counter-melody, basic chords and full chords. can't wait, it should be a good show!

Ode To Joy

It looks like audience participation is back on. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyeyB9dU30Q

I saw them twice last year and it was a blast. Even though I'd seen every youtube video, it was still awesome. Plus they came out to chat and socialize afterwards.

Thanks for the heads-up! I just checked the website for the McCarter theatre in Princeton, NJ where I'm seeing them in a cople of weeks, and apparently we're doing audience participation there, too! I'll bring my uke!

Thanks for the heads-up! I just checked the website for the McCarter theatre in Princeton, NJ where I'm seeing them in a cople of weeks, and apparently we're doing audience participation there, too! I'll bring my uke!

wow now I need to get tickets too....

The UOGB was supposed to come to southern california in spring 2011 to play on the same bill as Jake Shimabukuro. I even bought tickets. But the UOGB ended up canceling (there were rumors that it was unable to get funding for the trip), so I ended up seeing Jake the following week in San Francisco instead. I'd love to see the UOGB live. I'm envious. Have a great time and please provide a full post-concert report.
They will be playing in California next April. I have tickets to the Sunday 3pm show on April 7th in Cerritos. I bet one of these will be handy for you.
From their website
April 2013
Sunday 7th
Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts (CCPA)
12700 Center Court Drive North, Cerritos, CA 90703, United States
Performance time: 3.00pm
Box Office: (800) 300-4345
Online booking:
http://www.cerritoscenter.com/index.aspx/

Tuesday 9th
Campbell Hall, University of California, Santa Barbara
Mesa Road, Santa Barbara, CA 2528, USA
Performance time: 8.00pm
Box Office: (805) 893-3535
Online booking:
https://artsandlectures.sa.ucsb.edu/AllEvents.aspx/

Thursday 11th
Laxson Auditorium, Chico State University
400 W 1st Street, Chico, CA, USA
Performance time: 7.30pm
Box Office: (530) 898-6333
Online booking:
http://is.gd/JqBpvB/

Friday 12th
Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, UC Davis
9399 Old Davis Road, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Performance time: 8.00pm
Box Office: 530.754.2787
Online booking:
http://mondaviarts.org/

Sunday 14th
Bing Concert Hall, Stanford University
450 Serra Mall, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Performance time: 2.30pm
Box Office: 650-725-ARTS
Online booking:
http://live.stanford.edu/

wow now I need to get tickets too....

Yes, you do. I just checked the McCarter web page, and there are still plenty of tix available... let me know where you end up sitting so we can find each other!

ok, I'm confused why the UOGB would have emailed me and said they don't allow ukes at the T.C., MI performance, but you all are saying that they do do audience participation. I'd love to take my uke and be a part of that, and would be bummed if I don't and others do. I think I'll call the box office and see what they say. Sounds like those of you who have seen them have had a blast. Many others are planning to attend one of their upcoming events. I've heard nothing but good things about the show, so I'm really looking forward to it. Now, just need to know if my uke goes along for the ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom