Playing on Beach in Waikiki

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In the 1990s my partner and I would travel to Waikiki in January and there was a group that played almost every day on the beach. One regular played the steel guitar and most of the rest played ukuleles. We joined this group for a few years and then due to work schedules we were unable to go back. This was an informal group in the Kanikapila tradition.

I'm pretty sure this group is long gone as most of the regulars were quite elderly. The experience is the source of many great memories. Does anyone know if there are any regular gatherings on the beach of uke players. I know that some of the uke stores give lessons, but those tend to be just very beginners strumming a few chords.

Walked down Waikiki beach earlier this afternoon and there were a couple guys at the Hilton Lagoon area playing. I also saw four guys in a little kanikapila down by the racquet courts near the museum yesterday. Looked like they were having a grand old time. :)

I just found a youtube from 2009 with what looked like the same group on the beach. There was even a steel guitar player and a woman singing a song I remember her singing back in that late 90s.

Top Bottom