Dagwood loves the ukulele

Heh, heh. That's not the first time that strip has taken a swipe at ukuleles.

It's all good. I've heard some pretty bad ukulelel playing (pretty frequently, like every time I pick one up) - I can imagine what my friends or neighbors would think if I kept inflicting myself on them. :)

John

Well, I guess one man's trash ...

It's all good. I've heard some pretty bad ukulelel playing (pretty frequently, like every time I pick one up) - I can imagine what my friends or neighbors would think if I kept inflicting myself on them. :)

John

Even if it was Jake, I'm sure some people don't like the ukulele. I wouldn't want to go to someone's house and listen or do something that I had no interest in all night long

I thought it was hilarious! We hafta be able to take a joke, we're gonna hear plenty.

I'm going to have to draw a comic strip in which the protagonist would rather poke out his own eyes than read "Blondie." :) Like John says, it's all good.

It is interesting, because Dagwood and Blondie started out in the 30s - she was a flapper, and he was a racoon-coat wearing spoiled rich ukulele-playing college student (or just bon vivant - I can't recall.) He was cut off from the family fortune when he married Blondie, and had to start working for a living.

Vo-do-dee-oh-doh!

-Kurt​

I thought it was hilarious! We hafta be able to take a joke, we're gonna hear plenty.

Whenever I take out my banjo uke, I always preface it with "This is a banjo ukulele. It was was created for people who felt that neither the banjo nor the ukulele was obnoxious enough on its own."

It is interesting, because Dagwood and Blondie started out in the 30s - she was a flapper, and he was a racoon-coat wearing spoiled rich ukulele-playing college student (or just bon vivant - I can't recall.) He was cut off from the family fortune when he married Blondie, and had to start working for a living.

I have a big book of those early '30's strips, and they are wonderful-- as different from the current Blondie as night and day. Unfortunately, Chic Young, the artist, started running out of ideas, and the strip became very repetitious. His publishers told him that readers didn't identify with rich-boy Dagwood and threatened to pull the strip unless he created something more family-oriented. So Dagwood lost his wealthy family, Blondie lost her flapper attitude, and the strip degenerated into the domestic mush we know today. But the original strip is pretty edgy-- and genuinely funny.

Whenever I take out my banjo uke, I always preface it with "This is a banjo ukulele. It was was created for people who felt that neither the banjo nor the ukulele was obnoxious enough on its own."

BWAAA-HAAA - I'm going to have to remember that line - especially the next time I run into somebody playin' one of them cursed things :)

John

John

It's not the first time the comics have taken a swipe at ukuleles. The first instance of which I'm aware is Budd Fisher's Mutt & Jeff in 1917. There have been multiple examples since then.

Yeah I saw that one....glad to see we all see the same comics all over.....yeah they took another swipe at the ukulele.....LOL

Top Bottom