Using a classical D guitar string for low G tenor question

erivel

Reaction score
In my never ending search for the right low G string, I've decided to try a classical guitar string on my koa tenor. For those of you using a classical D string as your low G, what string do you like? I just put on a GHS string, it was the only single classical string my local shop carries. Much different feel than the wound low G Hilo string I previously used. I kept the top three plain Hilo strings on. So far I really like it!

Are there any other classical strings I should consider and where's a good place to buy them on line?

Thanks for your help!

I have most of a set of Savarez Corum Red Cards sitting on my cedar top tenor. Love them! Great volume and feel.

I've really enjoyed the D'Addario Pro Arte J4304. Its a light-tension silverplated wound D string, with a .028 dia. Because of the light tension, it blends with a lot of other ukulele sets. Right now I'm using one with an Orcas flourocarbon low G set. The Orca's flourocrbon low G wasn't bad, but I like the J4304 better - both tone and feel.

You can buy single strings here: http://www.juststrings.com/dad-j4304.html

Last edited:
Eric, check out the links on the Uke Strings thread. Try out Savarez and D'Addario classical guitar sets. if you're looking to buy guitar string sets, I would recommend Strings By Mail and Just Strings. you can order the treble sets (1st three strings) and singles for that matter.

Danny, thanks for the Uke Strings thread! I went ahead and placed an order with Just Strings. Mahalo!

I have a spare D string of this guitar set, and tomorrow I'll receive my new tenor. Can I use it as a low-G string?
The average gauge of a wound low-g in aquila strings (the one I have on my concert) is 0.28, and this La Bella 834 string is 0.31.
Will I have problems with tension?

Attachments

• IMG_5663.jpg
    IMG_5663.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 0
D'Addario NYL028w for tenor low G. Nice clear tone and sustain, not floppy. The NYL029w will be too tight.

I have a spare D string of this guitar set, and tomorrow I'll receive my new tenor. Can I use it as a low-G string?
The average gauge of a wound low-g in aquila strings (the one I have on my concert) is 0.28, and this La Bella 834 string is 0.31.
Will I have problems with tension?
I use a smooth-wound LaBella 908 "D" string as a low "G" on ukuleles. It's 0.030" diameter, sounds great, and causes no problems. Unless your tenor is super-fragile and falling apart, I can't imagine that an additional 0.001" would be an issue.

I use a smooth-wound LaBella 908 "D" string as a low "G" on ukuleles. It's 0.030" diameter, sounds great, and causes no problems. Unless your tenor is super-fragile and falling apart, I can't imagine that an additional 0.001" would be an issue.

Thank you for your feedback.

This is the bridge of my tenor, it's a stock photo because mine has been just shipped from the store and will arrive tomorrow but it's the same model. It doesnt look super-fragile and it's a new instrument so hopefully less likely to fall apart, I will try it and then with the time I may get different guitar strings to test the sound.

For my concert I will keep using the specific low-g strings for ukulele. But coming from guitar playing, I've been quite disappointed with the quality/sound of ukulele low-g strings generally available here in Italy, and I can't afford expensive sets with shipping fees... so seeing that there is much more choice of guitar strings here, I want to take advntage of the longer scale of the tenor.

Attachments

• Leho - Leho My Leho Two Tone Mahogany Soprano - 1_1920x1920.jpg
    Leho - Leho My Leho Two Tone Mahogany Soprano - 1_1920x1920.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
D'addario has single wound strings in small diameter increments. So you can fine tune the tension you like. And they last quite long even with heavy handed playing.

Top Bottom