21st Season of the Ukulele

peewee

Reaction score
21st Season of the Ukulele: LA FRANCE

July 14th, Bastille Day, is next Saturday, so it’s France week, Ooh La La!

Here are the parameters:

A video of a single live take of a performance (doesn’t have to be the first take) with ukulele(s) front and center. No overdubs. Other instruments OK in a supporting role. Multiple players, singers OK.

Songs must mention France, be about France or a French person or object, or BE IN FRENCH, or be by a French artist. They don’t have to be pro-French.

You must say the magic words: "21st season of the Ukulele" or "vingt-et-uneième saison du ukulélé" and post the video in this thread before the deadline for it to count.

The First entry will be judged as the main entry, subsequent entries must be labeled as Bonus Tracks to be considered as such, otherwise they will be judged as the main entry and the first entry will be thrown out.

Instrumentals are encouraged.

Scoring will be as follows:

Musicianship / Arrangement /10 points
(your own compositions are encouraged and will score well here)
Singing (or Instrumental performance for non-singers) /10 Points
(this is vocal timing and tune, not language ability)
Je ne Sais Quoi: /10 Points
(not to be confused with Panache)
Frenchness: /10 Points
(this includes song choice, whether the song is sung in French, and subject matter. It will be impossible to excel in this category without singing in French, even phonetically, nonsense phonetic French might be as good or better than actual French. Subtitles are encouraged. In the case of instrumentals, the introduction is your chance to get it across)
Production Value: /10 points
(this includes photography set and costume – maximum points for nouvelle vague jump cuts in a stripey shirt in a barge on the Seine going by the Eiffel Tower, for example...no extra points for smoking)
Bonus Tracks: Each participant’s first bonus track will be worth a maximum of 3 points, the second will be worth a maximum of 2 points, using arbitrary and subjective criteria. Subsequent Bonus Tracks will not count, but will be appreciated.

Judges: Well there’s me, and my buddy Fred has kindly volunteered
Fred is a better musician and a better French Speaker than I. He has worked as a English/French translator and as an arranger and player. I will try to lure in additional Frenchies if needed.

We also reserve the right to toss all the rules out and do a random drawing, but we’ll try to get it done right.

Deadline: 11:59 PM Sunday July 15, Hawaii Time (11:59AM, Monday July 16 Paris time)

Prizes: I will have some of these shipped directly from an online retailer, so if available:

1st prize: Ukulele Club de Paris CD Manuia!, or a toy accordion
2nd prize: whichever of the above the 1st place finisher doesn’t want
3rd prize: a pack of Martin strings for Concert/Soprano

Resources:
Here’s a big (6.6MB) pdf of 500+ French songs from user Milos on ukulele.fr by permission:
http://www.patacrep.com/data/documents/french.pdf

From Wikipedia:
"In France today "chanson" typically refers to the music of singers such as Charles Trenet, Jacques Brel, Jean Ferrat, Georges Brassens, Édith Piaf, Charles Aznavour, Barbara, Serge Reggiani, Léo Ferré, Mireille Mathieu and Serge Gainsbourg. Chanson can be distinguished from the rest of French "pop" music by following the rhythms of French language, rather than those of English." Don't forget Claude Francois and Vincent Delerm and Jacques Dutronc...

For those of you digging up French Chord sheets online, they may be in “Solfege” rather than A-B C as we are accustomed to. Here’s how to convert:
C(do), D(re), E(mi), F(fa), G(sol), A(la), B(si) “dieze” means sharp and “molle” means flat.

I’m happy to be hosting this week, I’ve had a blast subjecting you all to my silly songs, so now I get to do some of the legwork..

In addition to paying tribute to all things Gallic, and to La Chanson in particular, I thought it might be a nice gesture to the many Seasonists who regularly contribute songs in English, despite it not being their first language. Our regular contributors include a few German speakers (including our illustrious founder Chrimess), a Portuguese speaking couple, and even a Tasmanian speaker, so this will be a chance to skew the playing field by encouraging a little parlay-voo. Also at least one of our regular participants is visiting France this week, and another just got back.

I thought it might also lure in some French speaking UU members who have not yet taken the dive into Seasons mania. Soyez les Bienvenus

Merde au troisième pouvoir! (break a leg)

PLAYLIST: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A9DF258DAC5CF6

THE RESULTS ARE IN

Last edited:
Wisdom? Yeah-right, but one of my judges did do a really nice Excel file for judging...it is awesome. Ksiegel- I am sure he would send it to you.
Also, take your heart meds because you will be RUNNING to the computer every spare minute to see what has happened.
OK- now, Cramps covers?

I'm already getting in line!!! I feel like a little teenage girl waiting in line for Twilight Eclipse!!

Wisdom? Yeah-right, but one of my judges did do a really nice Excel file for judging...it is awesome. Ksiegel- I am sure he would send it to you.
Also, take your heart meds because you will be RUNNING to the computer every spare minute to see what has happened.
OK- now, Cramps covers?
A rubric of some sort is helpful, makes judging a little less subjective. I'd like to see the Excel file too, might be helpful I I host again. or you could do what Myrna did, just draw names, that way I have a chance, haha. But I think I saw my name fly out of the hat right before she drew!

Anyone who wants the Excel file, just drop me a PM, and let me know if you want Excel 2003 or 2007 version (.xls or .xlsx).

-Kurt​

(Ask soon - I may be away from the computer for a little while/ a few days...)

this could be the making of a bad week for me a scot winning wimbledon (come on Federer) and having to do a song about the french, now to find some songs about agincourt :smileybounce:

Thanks for hosting Peewee :)

this could be the making of a bad week for me a scot winning wimbledon (come on Federer) and having to do a song about the french, now to find some songs about agincourt :smileybounce:

Thanks for hosting Peewee :)

The Agincourt Carol

There's plenty of songs about Napoleon. Lot's of scope for Boney bashing! :nana:

Let me see... :confused: :iwant:

How about...

OTOH, Off to the bookshelf to look at my song books.

Ça me plaît Pee Wee. I have a secret weapon for this week. my FRENCH poodle!
I wonder if she knows any French songs?
View attachment 40000

You could always try "Quiche Lorraine" by the B-52's - it's about a French poodle.....

I never had much success speaking French - I took a couple of semesters in college, but my instructor was a beautiful French graduate student - I always felt like Pepé Le Pew
trying to speak to her.....

C'est une bonne idée, Monsieur Peewee! Not everyone knows that you get handsomer when you sing in French.

If you already know Let It Be Me or These Foolish Things, the French lyrics are easily accessible. And you Canadians can easily sing your national anthem in French.

For those of you who might not have a corkscrew with you at the Wine Country Uke Fest, here's a Frenchman's technique for solving the problem. In the spirit of the 21st week, of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx2TXt1v_I&feature=related

poulet.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to start off with a bonus track.
Just to set the tone... and lower the bar
for everybody else.

Top Bottom