question about pick ups

CenizaT&K-01

Reaction score
As you know, I am looking to get a new Ukulele for my playing pleasure :D. I have two ukes now but i only play one because the other one is autographed now. Both Ukulele's do not have pick ups in them. For some unknown reason i want a pick up in my next one. Here is the thing though, i dont play in front of crowds nor do i perform, one, i cant sing, two, i am not good at playing. Nonetheless, there is this urge to get an ukulele with a pick up. What do you guys recommend? I don't want to get another one with out a pick up and then later on wish i bought it with the pick up for a few hundred more. On the flip side of that, i don't want to get one with a pick up and be like oh man i should of just gotten the one without the pick up. What should i do?

you can go the somewhat cheaper route and install your own into one of the ukes you already own. a decent uke pickup will run you about $75-200. ive been eye-ing the bushman pickup which is only about $40 plus shipping. but i recently found a fishman undersaddle pickup for $80 which isnt bad, since everywhere else ive looked they go for about $120.

for instructions on how to install them, just go to youtube and search for "ukulele pickup install". it actually took me about three hours to take my broken guitar pickup, repair it, and install it into my ukulele.

as far as ukuleles go that have the pickup already installed, i dont think you can go wrong with the applause tenor. theyre about $360 wherever you look. a little pricey, but ive heard nothing but love for them.

heres the link to that fishman i was talking about. if anyone knows of a site that has it cheaper, please let me know. im planning on installing this one into the 6 string that should be here by friday.

http://www.bluestarmusic.com/produc...man_AG_Passive_Undersaddle_Pickup_for_Ukulele

its not that i dont trust these pickups. i dont trust myself putting a hole in my ukulele...you know what i mean. haha. knowing me i will get all nervous and slip and totally f up my ukulele, and that would not be a good thing at all. i think for me buying one is more of an option it is just a matter of which one i guess. I truly appreciate all the help though.

heres the link to that fishman i was talking about. if anyone knows of a site that has it cheaper, please let me know. im planning on installing this one into the 6 string that should be here by friday.

http://www.bluestarmusic.com/produc...man_AG_Passive_Undersaddle_Pickup_for_Ukulele
NukeDoc!! Thanks for the tip. I want to put a pickup in my Koaloha Tenor. That fishman is the way to go for sure. Very helpful instructional videos as well. You are truly the Uke Doctor....

ya that video was my reference when I installed my pickup -- my install took a little longer cuz I also wanted to learn the little ditty playing in the video (one of the Monk TV themes) :)

Top Bottom