Your transcribing process?

Monkeyswithladders

Reaction score
I'm working on my next multitrack (and am having a BALL btw, this one is so much fun), and I'm getting to a point where I have to do something I'm not good at in order to serve the song the way I want to. Learn a part of it by ear, and for a different instrument. So I'm asking for help at what your process is.

Let's say you hear a song and there's a clarinet solo in it that you want to put into your arrangement of the song, but on something else, like ukulele or guitar. How would you go about transcribing the piece? Also assume you can't find tab or sheet music on the part you're looking to do.

I've thought about putting the music into an editing program and prolonging each note and putting a tuner up to my speakers, then writing out the notes and figuring out how to play them-- that'll take forever though so I was wondering if anyone has any better ways before I hop to it.

Play the tune and pause it after each note or phrase. Hum that note or tune as best as you can and then match it on your uke.

Man I wish I had a good enough ear to do that. Right now I'm working on the monkey song from Jungle Book, which I had on vinyl since like age 4. So I can hum the trumpet part by memory almost exactly-- I just can't match it on an instrument, but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the advice though.

However, I just finished everything up to the solo, so I might just get started on tuning it out so I can get going on finishing the rest-- this song is so much fun :D

I was having the same problem when I was transcribing "California Dreaming" and I found a youtube tutorial on jimmyrcom's channel. His video tutorial titled "Download Sheet Music For Any Instrument From any Source" came in very handy for me.

I recently made this graphic in photoshop to help the transcribing process, but I think I will change the musical notation part on the right to show the notes on the 12th fret above the staff to include ledger lines, but I'm not sure it will come in handy. Originally I made just the fretboard graphic without the music staffs, that is actually a fairly useful graphic because I made it large and easy to see.

ukulele_fretboard.gif

here's the fretboard graphic I made without the music staff, if anybody needs it

uke_fretboard.gif

Thanks for the midi idea, hadn't thought of that-- I just searched all over for a good midi of the song. No luck so far but it might yield something tomorrow. If not, I'll get to work the long way :D

I don't know the details of how you're layering your multi-track and how you ultimately want it to sound, but if it were myself and the trumpet part was integral to the song exactly as originally performed, I'd probably end up actually singing it. If you're able to pull it off it could be rather charming.

If that doesn't work, I'd work on playing something that approximated the feel and texture of the part even if it didn't match the precise notes of the original. It is your interpretation after all. It needn't be slavish to the original in every aspect.

That's a pretty good idea-- I'll definitely record a take doing that and see how it fits in with the rest of the song. Thanks man :D

Do you have a recording of it? I'm taking a class about transcribing. Not that I'm any good at it- but I could give it a try. ;) (Also, to go about transcribing a piece: practice transcribing a lot. And endure the burning, unending frustration! ;))

I'm working on my next multitrack (and am having a BALL btw, this one is so much fun), and I'm getting to a point where I have to do something I'm not good at in order to serve the song the way I want to. Learn a part of it by ear, and for a different instrument. So I'm asking for help at what your process is.

Let's say you hear a song and there's a clarinet solo in it that you want to put into your arrangement of the song, but on something else, like ukulele or guitar. How would you go about transcribing the piece? Also assume you can't find tab or sheet music on the part you're looking to do.

I've thought about putting the music into an editing program and prolonging each note and putting a tuner up to my speakers, then writing out the notes and figuring out how to play them-- that'll take forever though so I was wondering if anyone has any better ways before I hop to it.

Don't rely on programs or friends to transcribe songs! At first it is very very very hard, but with practice, it gets much easier. To start, just play very small segments of the song and then pause, sing even just a single note of it to yourself, and then match that pitch on the ukulele. Try to figure out a simple melody like twinkle twinkle little star or yankee doodle, even, before moving on to "real" songs.

Knowing some music theory with regards to how scales work is also very helpful, but not necessary.

Good luck!

Top Bottom