Peghed tuners vs. 5 Star banjo tuners

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm curious about planetary tuners for ukuleles. I know about Pegheds, and have heard good things about them. I'm not a fan of the looks, though.

I've also heard about 5 Star banjo tuners. They are also planetary, and also have a 4:1 gear ratio. I much prefer the more traditional look of this style.

The biggest difference seems to be the weight. Pegheds are aluminum, and the 5 Stars are brass (mostly). Obviously the 5 Stars would be heavier, and I have heard as much, but my question is how MUCH heavier?

Can anyone provide the actual weight of four 5 Star tuners and the weight of four Pegheads? I'm curious as to the actual difference....

As I think more about this, it would also be helpful to know the weight of a set of four closed geared tuners, such as those commonly seen on ukes....

Okay, here are some specs from the StewMac website:

1. Five Star Planetary Tuners"

Set of 4: 4.864 oz. (137.894 grams)
Each Tuner: 1.208 oz. (34.247 grams)

2. Grover Friction Pegs

Set of 4: 1.928 oz. (54.659 grams)

3. Gotoh Sealed guitar tuners

Set of 6: 6.672 oz. (189.151 grams)

Pegheds: 1 oz (set of four)

Okay, here are some specs from the StewMac website:

1. Five Star Planetary Tuners"

Set of 4: 4.864 oz. (137.894 grams)
Each Tuner: 1.208 oz. (34.247 grams)

2. Grover Friction Pegs

Set of 4: 1.928 oz. (54.659 grams)

3. Gotoh Sealed guitar tuners

Set of 6: 6.672 oz. (189.151 grams)

Thanks, Rich! I looked at their website, but obviously missed the weights. The Peghed weights are on the Peghed website, I think. Thanks again....

By my calculations, a set of four 5 Stars weighs less than half an ounce more than a set of four Gotoh sealed guitar tuners.

This is not nearly as large a difference as I anticipated.

Gotoh SGH318 tuners for regular ukes weigh 135 grams or 4.5 oz.

The PEGHEDS for banjos weigh 35 grams for a set of four or 1.15 oz.

As far as looks, the buttons have been made to look more like ebony on the 7.5 and 8.5 mm ones with the composite button. Also, the holes on the bass side are larger so those of us who like to double on the hole can do it.

www.pegheds.net

Top Bottom