Open-Geared All-Chrome (including Buttons) Tuners?

Paul December

Reaction score
I'd like to swap out the tuners on my Resonator with some All-Chrome (including buttons) open-geared tuners. Who makes decent ones? (I don't want to pay for "great" ones :eek: )

I have all-chrome, including the buttons, open geared Grovers on my Kanile'a concert and they work real well. No slippage and they turn smoothly.

Last edited:
I haven't seen those hipshots- they look quiet nice- are the buttons interchangeable with other brands etc?

Not sure, and not going to try.

I have Hipshot Ultralites on my bass, and Owen uses them on his UBasses IIRC, and these seems to be the guitar versions. I haven't weighed them, nor am I going to, doesn't matter - in this case it's function over form for me, BUT, I like them, so works both ways. . . not the silver ones though.

Once my Gotoh's & Grover's are gone, I don't think I'll be replacing them, unless the Hipshot ratio starts to drive my clients nuts, BUT, they feel very close to the action of a set of Gilbert's, at a fraction of the cost, so what's 4 more turns?

Aaron

Aaron: Thanks for the tips on the Hipshots. Mine arrived today and they are very nice. And in case anyone cares, they weigh the same as and are almost exactly the same size as the Gotoh SG381 enclosed tuners that Hana Lima sells. Two sets of six are $120 on eBay, so that works out to $40 per set.

Top Bottom