Weekly nUUbie Challenge #4

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
We don't seem to have a challenge thread for week 4 yet, so...

My suggestion is for everyone to try an instrumental piece - that is, a piece for which no vocals are intended. The Uncle Rod's Bootcamp challenge was instrumental (unless you're Pootsie :cool:), but this time I mean an actual song. How does that sound to everyone?

I just got "from Lute to Uke", so I thought maybe I would do Bear Dance?

I have some tab for the song Edelweiss. I'll work on it. Still working on posting for #2 and #3. Arghh!!!!!

AAaiiIiiARRRGGHHHhhhh!

I am just not to the point where I can handle an instrumental piece. I am getting terribly frustrated.
I am starting to whine and my 21-month-old daughter is telling me I need to grow up

So I think I will put off this challenge until I am ready to take it on.

Back to strumming for now.

AAaiiIiiARRRGGHHHhhhh!

I am just not to the point where I can handle an instrumental piece. I am getting terribly frustrated.
I am starting to whine and my 21-month-old daughter is telling me I need to grow up

So I think I will put off this challenge until I am ready to take it on.

Back to strumming for now.

You can DOOOOO EEEEEEEET! Have you tried this super simple and short Japanese song "Sakura Sakura"? There's a fair bit of strumming, and it's a fairly slow tempo.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/03/13/sakura-sakura-tab/

You can DOOOOO EEEEEEEET! Have you tried this super simple and short Japanese song "Sakura Sakura"? There's a fair bit of strumming, and it's a fairly slow tempo.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/03/13/sakura-sakura-tab/

Yeah, well, after seeing Jake Shimabukuro perform Sakura Sakura live this I think I'll just keep it on the shelf. ;)
I have tried a couple of "simple" instrumentals but I am just not there yet. I need to push myself but not to tears

thanks for the tip, though. I will check it out when I get a chance and promise to keep ukin'

Yeah, well, after seeing Jake Shimabukuro perform Sakura Sakura live this I think I'll just keep it on the shelf. ;)
I have tried a couple of "simple" instrumentals but I am just not there yet. I need to push myself but not to tears

thanks for the tip, though. I will check it out when I get a chance and promise to keep ukin'

Jake would intimidate ANY uker! Having taught kids in Japan, I think of Sakura Sakura as a traditional children's song like Frere Jacques or Mary Had a Little Lamb.

I had an idea. Since some of the proposed challenges seem to take many of us more than one week to complete and record, perhaps we should just number them instead of fixing them to a week. I am currently working on an instrumental version of "Every Breath you Take" and I really doubt that I'll have it recordable by Sunday. I am now thinking of this as "nUUbie Challenge #4" and I will finish it sometime next week...

I think we should learn 'The office' theme song seems really challenging :D

OK, I'm throwing my video (complete with mistakes and changing tempo!) into the thread. I've been working on Music Box Waltz for a little while now trying to figure out tabs and fingerpicking. It's just the intro of the arrangement since 5 minutes of fingerpicking is still beyond my ability. Enjoy!

OK, I'm throwing my video (complete with mistakes and changing tempo!) into the thread. I've been working on Music Box Waltz for a little while now trying to figure out tabs and fingerpicking. It's just the intro of the arrangement since 5 minutes of fingerpicking is still beyond my ability. Enjoy!

You're well on your way, I was easily able to recognize the tune. Where did you find the tabs for that song? I haven't been able to find them anywhere via Google.

You're well on your way, I was easily able to recognize the tune. Where did you find the tabs for that song? I haven't been able to find them anywhere via Google.

Someone had linked them in a UU forum. It was off of the Ukulele Dav website, but the URL isn't working.

Musicbox

Cheesegasuki

I haven't heard that tune for years. Excellent version - must scrutinise the video and figure out the tabs.

Top Bottom