Ways to keep low G?

TorontoUKER

Reaction score
Hey!!!!!! so i jst got my new Kala and i cant put it down!!!! F***ing love this thing. i got MGM to tune it low G for me and it came with a pitch pipe to help out too.
anyway i know it takes a while for the strings to settle so going out of tune a lot is normal but how can i keep the low G in tune if it is not on the pitch pipe???????,ive just being playing by ear to what sounds good to me.

ive found a few tuners on the web....i think this one is the best,,, http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php and maybe someone can tell me if you click on the "G3" for the third string then make it sound, is that what a low G should sound like on the fourth string of my Uke?????

thanks!

if you click on the "G3" for the third string then make it sound, is that what a low G should sound like on the fourth string of my Uke?????

thanks!

Yes, that is correct. Congrats on the new uke! Let us know how your progress is coming along.

Welcome TorontoUker! You're way ahead of me, LOL, I was just fretting the G at the 12th and using their tuner that way. Your way is more accurate!

Also, you can tune the C string with your pitch pipe, then tune the G string at the 5th fret to the tuned C.

Last edited:
nice!!! well im glad i could help out a bit.

im able to change chords with reasonable ease but the strumming patterns of songs are quite hard to figure out, any tips on how to figure that out just by listening? or is there more common patterns than others?

p.s. do i use any part of my pointer nail to strum or strictly the top?

...why not pick up a clip on tuner from him too? $25 or less......makes life easy!
I second that. Everyone should have at least one digital tuner. You can pick up a chromatic clip-on tuner at Long & McQuade or Steve's Music or any music store in Toronto for about $20.
Toss the pitchpipe. They're notoriously inaccurate.

sweet sounds like the way to go is the digital tuner for sure!!!!

how does it work tho? does it come preset or do u have to tune it perfectly first then it remembers or somthing?

p.s. does long and mcquade have humidifiers for Uke cases too?

Top Bottom