My New Griffin Tenor came home

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
"The Patrick" finally came home after a three month build. I knew it was going to be another good one but man I am so pleased with this one; words escape me. The beautiful woods with such intricate, patient, loving workmanship overwhelms me everytime I pick him up.

Brian came back in March from Hawaii enthused and rarin' to go with a few ideas he picked while there. One being a few pointers from Erick Devine on the intricacies of a radiused neck. I knew then and there that I had to have another G.

The koa sides and back was given to him by friends at Taylor guitar. IMO, it's a testament to the quality of man and their respect of a good luthier to do so. The binding is rosewood with the end strip being a combination of rosewood and ebony.

The soundboard is Western Red Cedar with 352 growth rings across. It was heaved from a 1/2 log he salvaged over 50 years ago. He thinks it was over 2,000 years old when it was felled over a century ago. It may have been used as a plank by the loggers because of all the caulk marks on one side. I'd say that's Master grade plus wouldn't you think? The rosette is painstaking made by selecting and cutting smalll pieces of koa of different hues set inbetween black pufling. The bridge is ebony.

The Neck is thinly shaped from old Honduran Mahogany with a Devine inspired radiused ebony fretboard with mop dots, evo gold frets with Gotah gold colored open geared tuners topped off with a piece of old, old spalted maple for the peghead. The g is rosewoood with South Coast Strings to make him sing.

All of this was finished off with a two or three week period minimum of intense French Polishing the uke to a deep,deep wonderful luster that will only get better with time.

His primary goal is build an instrument that sings and will be treasured 100 yrs. from now. I'm from 4th generation string players and feel blessed that I will be adding three beautiful sounding ukes to the instrument library.

Sometimes things come along that really show how blessed we are to have what we have. When I go passed my G's, I can't help but say thank you.

Will post a sound sample when I figure out how.

Griffinukuleles.com Check his blog section on the other builds he has going.

Attachments

• 9852861_orig.jpg
    9852861_orig.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Looks georgous Patrick. Good luck with it. Let us know how she sounds...

The Patrick has come home! He's a stunner. Congrats!

Congrats! You've got a special connection with Brian Griffin, and I'm sure that makes the uke extra special, even beyond the exceptional wood and the build. I look forward to hearing a sound sample.

It's beautiful! Congrats!

Top Bottom