Before and After Pictures of my Gibson Uke 3

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I found out that my Gibson had a loose back brace, so I dropped it off at the Denver Folklore Center last month. The repair guy asked if I wanted him to graft some wood onto my chipped bridge. He said it would be hard to tell that anything had been done to it, so I said sure. I have to say he was RIGHT!
Here's how the bridge looked when I got the ukulele on New Year's Eve:
IMG_0514.jpg
And here it is now:
IMG_1378.jpgIMG_1379.jpgIMG_1380.jpg

I am pretty impressed. He made it look aged, so even up close under extremely bright light, it is hard to see the repair. Well worth the money! And with the repaired back brace, it seems a little louder and more resonant, too.

WOW!!! What a beautiful repair!

Seems like this is a common issue with Gibson ukuleles. My Gibson has a little chip from the bridge and I have seen a bunch on eBay which have some chips on the bridge.

Your repair inspires me to perhaps fill my little chip! Thanks for posting your pics Chris, looks great!

Aloha Chris,
thank you for sharing and the pics....I have a kamaka with the same chip in the same area....wow... it came out really nice and matched the sourrounding area...he must have used two
individal pieces...and took some time doing it....

I miss the Folklore center. Used to go to their song circles. Harry (the owner) is such a great guy. Your Gibby looks fantastic!

Last edited:
WOW! Great job! Do they take shipped in ukes for repair? I have a 30's Martin 0 that has a badly gouged out bridge that could do with such a repair. I would probably play it more if it was repaired. I'm PM'ing you for pricing details if you are ok w/that.

Gmoney, I answered your PM a few minutes ago. I don't know if they'll take out of town repairs, but I don't know why they WOULDN'T.

Wow...that shop is a keeper! Wish we had somebody around here that does repair work that nice!

Oh, and by the way... The repair didn't take a month. I dropped it off after the Denver Uke Fest in May, and wasn't going back to Denver until our new nephew was born. I think the repair was actually finished on June 4th. I left it on May 21st. When I left him my Martin Style 3 on my way to Chicago, he adjusted the action and repaired 3 cracks in the back and had it ready when I came back through Denver a week later!

Top Bottom