String preference for Ohana SK50WG Soprano Ukulele Solid Cedar Top

Dappleyard

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right area of the forum for this but i must ask :)
I own a Ohana SK50WG Soprano Ukulele Solid Cedar Top
and an little ashton 100. Both have aquila strings fitted on them

This leads me to my question. Would you recomend worths for the ohana and if so which kind?

+ any other random tips you can give me would also be great as im still very new and clumsey as this is my first musical instrument and only got it in march.

If you search for string recommendations you will find more options and opinions then you have time to read.
The bottom line is always, "string choice is subjective and personal". You should experiment with different strings to find what you like.
Sound and feel are both important. Aquila strings are a quality and very popular string, but sometimes are a little to bright and loud for my liking.
My partner and I both have Ohanas with cedar tops. (tenors), she likes the stock aquilas, I have changed to a clear flourocarbon and much prefer the voice.
Both are great combinations, but my ear likes the flouros.

See the Uke String thread . . . here.

Martin M600s. Definitely.

May i ask why? first time anyone has mentioned them to me so looked them up , got good reviews and the cheapest of the 3

PHD's are the new string from Jason Arimoto, a lot like Worth Clears.
Worth Clears come as a double set, so calculate the price correctly for comparison.
I used a set of Martins on a baritone and they were fantastic, but have no other experience with them.

I like prefer Martin 600s on both my OHANAs.
I prefer Worth Clears on my KoAloha.
I prefer Aquilas on my KALA laminate top.

My wife's Cedar top Ohana Concert had Worth Clear - I swapped them For Southcoasts, I like the tension and tonal balance better. I swap everything for Southcoasts except my Makala laminates, which are wearing Aquilla or Guadalupe depending on what I have when they need strings.

They are seriously underrated, and they have sustain that goes on forever, plus they're pretty cheap, and the only clear fluoros I could find in Germany. I'm a huge convert to them.

They are seriously underrated, and they have sustain that goes on forever, plus they're pretty cheap, and the only clear fluoros I could find in Germany. I'm a huge convert to them.

Me to I love the martins M600's they are my fave strings, :)

Top Bottom