1st year uke vid: Kalei Gamiao's "The Unknown"

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
Okay, this is my last anniversary video. It's about the best I can do on this piece. I'll paste the YouTube description below:

"This is the 3rd and final of a few videos I'm uploading as a 1 year progress benchmark.. I started learning this piece when Dominator began posting tutorials on it. I decided that it's way too advanced for me but I would work on it and post a video wherever I was at in my progress by my one year ukulele anniversary mark. I'm really glad I can at least get through the piece. I still can't play it without making a few mistakes and several of the parts are different because of what doctors call "lack of skill"... Anyway, thanks so much to Dominator for the tutorial!
These ukulele videos will be unlisted so if you're seeing them you're either my friend or a super-hacker criminal mastermind. That's pretty cool either way I guess"

To put the whole project in one post, here are the other two I recorded last week:

"Europa"

"Something"

This concludes my series of self-centered posting. Now, let's talk about you.

Great job Bob. You should definitely be proud that you have put the entire thing together from start to finish. It's not an easy task. I have never played any of Kalei's stuff during a performance before until the other day. I had a request for The Unknown at my gig last weekend and so I played it. I hit a number of wrong notes and messed up the timing in a few spots but there was no way I could just stop in the middle and start over. You will surprise yourself how much smoother you will play it after a few more months of playing it regularly. You've accomplished a lot in a short time.

Thanks for the feedback Dom! Yeah, I'm sure that's a hard one to do in front of an audience. It's such a complicated piece it's very easy for me to get derailed. As I play it more, hopefully it will get smoother and I can work on fine tuning it... That KG strum still sounds more like finger picking to me when I do it.

Top Bottom