New, and maybe intimidated by this little flea

LuisR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never touched a ukulele before but I've been thinking for a long time about starting up a hobby and I love music. Guitar was always a bit cumbersome for me and I never got into it, and then I started looking up info on the ukulele and knew I wanted to do it.

I just received my new Kala KA-15S Soprano from Amazon, and it's so tiny! It made me smile and laugh when I saw it. I must admit, though, when I started strumming it out of the box, I felt a bit intimidated. I have no idea what I'm doing!!!!! :uhoh:

(It did come with a cool gig bag and an automatic tuner, so the kit looks really nice sitting on my shelf.)

So I've been thinking about joining up on UU+, but before I plunk down the hard-earned and not-much-where-that-came-from money, are those Ukulele 101 courses that much better than what I can get on youtube?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Welcome to UU. It'll soon be your new home.

Aldrine Guerrero is the bestest teacher. That's all I have to say. :)

There are a lot of how-to videos on this site - free and otherwise. To give you a better sense of whether you would benefit from UU+, watch a few of the free ones and see if the style of learning is to your liking. Everyone learns differently!

As a complete novice to string instruments myself I know how you feel. Just keep practising and it will all fall into place. As other posters have said there are many good tutorial videos available both here and on YouTube. Above all - have fun!

UU is a great resource and the folks on here are very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU. There is lots of great stuff on YouTube - there is also lots of not so great stuff. It can be difficult at times sifting through it all. The advantage to UU+ is that everything is layed out in a nice format to help you through the learning process. They have several different payment options so you can see if you like it or not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It's NOT a video, it's NOT a CD, it's NOT even an MP3, but...

please feel free to click on the Boot Camp pdf in my signature below for a
few suggestions about learning to play the ukulele :)

I hope it helps... and it is FREE!

keep uke'in',

I too would like to recommend Uncle Rod's Boot Camp as the ideal way to
get going. I played nothing else to start with.
And its FREE!!!!
Good luck with your new hobby.
Cheers
Gary

New

I have only been learning for six months but found these to be really well worth it.
I try to practise every day for at least ten minutes. Uncle Rod's Boot Camp often. I took time to mess around, do funny strums and general noodling until I knew my instrument and what makes it sound good. If you put in the hours you will find your fingers soon do what you want rather than misbehaving.

Welcome Luis,

Please check out the free vids on the main UU site. One advantage of UU+ is that you'll have structured lessons instead of hit or miss YouTube vids.

Thank you guys so much for your responses! I will definitely look at your boot camp pdf, Uncle Rod, thanks for pointing it out.

I've had a long weekend away from home but today I'm going to get started. I did look at some of the free videos on here, and they seem to be very well organized and thought out. I think I will also take the plunge with UU+.

Thanks again, guys and girls!

Good first uke, and I hope you stick with it. You are in absolutely the right place to get advice.

Loads of other uke sites and advice out there (see link in my sig for an example!!) - keep at it, make friends, and look forward to a life with a uke!

I'm new here and to Uke too....someone else here linked to this http://www.ukeschool.com and it looks to be my level right now, LOL. I plan on checking out the Boot Camp as well and I've gone through the free video's here. I'd like to also do the subscription lessons here - they seem like a fantastic way to get started. I agree about Youtube - lots of info, but all over the place and I'm a little overwhelmed trying to get organized. Good Luck!

Top Bottom