The Knitting SOng

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Long Post Warning!!!

On many occasions, I come up with nonsense rhymes - doggerel by any other name - usually while driving, or when I see something that tickles my funny bone.

Just a couple of nights ago, while my wife was sitting and knitting and I was sitting and spinning (She was using yarn, I was making yarn - isn't it great when a plan comes together?), the subject of how the United States Olympic Committee had just ticked off Two Million People with Pointy Sticks came up.

While laughing, I started singing, to the tune of David Mallett's "Garden Song" the following:

Stitch by stitch/ Row by row
I'm gonna make this garment grow
All it takes is some yarn, you know,
And a pair of pointed sticks.

We laughed some more, finished our fabric work for the night, and went on with the rest of the evening.

And I kept singing that verse.

I sat down at the computer, and 15-20 minutes later, I had written the second half of the chorus, and six more stanzas.

I sent it off to Dave Laurice (The Cloverdale Kid) who is himself a knitter, and told him that I wanted to get the folks at the local yarn shop's knit-in to sing along with it, and record it.. His response was:

That is so great! I bet the ladies go for it INSTANTLY and sing along. We must see this on video. Made me laugh, which I needed- we are chugging away on hats for a friend that has lost all her hair.

Great little tune and I love that it almost works as an instructional.

Cheers

Dave

So I went to the shop, brought my spinning wheel and ukulele, and warned Fitncrafty in advance, so she brought her ukulele, too.

After spinning for about an hour, I pulled out my uke, and everyone asked if we were going to have a concert. So I told them what I had done, and what I wanted to do. Many knew"Garden Song" already, do that part was easy. I played the song, they loved it, and agreed to let me do a video. Other than a little intro and a break to tell them how we ought to do it, this was one take. I left the instructions out when I finalized the video.

This was recorded at my favorite shop for All Things Fiber, The Spinning Room in Altamont, NY on Wednesday, June 27, 2012.

The wonderful folks who sang along on the video are:

Jan Davis Sandy Alsun Yvette Terplak Deirdre DeSanto Fabiola Dayian
Phyllis Rosenblum Susan M. Julia Pooler Mary McCaffrey Sheila Galvin
Carol Thompson and Carrie Thompson (aka Fitncrafty) on Second Ukulele

Thanks again to everyone who let me do this!

Words copyright 2012 Kurt C. Siegel Music Copyright 1975 David Mallett/Cherry Lane Music

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976: allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, and teaching. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

My videos are for private practice and feedback, and I derive no income of any kind from them.

Wow Kurt you wasted NO time getting that online!! Fun times.. I needed to do both of my most fun things in one evening! Certainly reduced the stress level!!

This was great! I'm going to have to get down there sometime. Ukes and yarn are two of my favorite things!

My daughter is very much into knitting, and we watched the video together. She wonders why there aren't any knitting circles like that in our town. We had trouble making out the lyrics on the verses.

My daughter is very much into knitting, and we watched the video together. She wonders why there aren't any knitting circles like that in our town. We had trouble making out the lyrics on the verses.

There may be knitting circles like that, but you have to find the right store. This is an every Wednesday night event at the Spinning Room. Some of the other stores in our area have regular knit-ins, as well. One even has a once-a-month Open Spinning session, and people bring their wheels.

In addition, my wife and several of our knitting friends (Hi, Fitncrafty!) get together each Friday night at the Starbucks where I work- they knot, and I spin - and it is fun. We've met some very nice people this way. It is amazing how many want to learn about the spinning wheel when they see me using it!

I'm sorry about the lyrics not being so easy to hear - I think I was about 20 feet from the Kodak PlaySport, and no external microphone.

Here are the lyrics:

The Knitting Song
Words: copyright 2012 Kurt Siegel
Music copyright 1975 David Mallet/Cherry Lane Music

Chorus:
Stitch by stitch, row by row
You're gonna make this garment grow
All it takes is some yarn, you know
And a pair of pointed sticks

Stitch by stitch, knit or purl
You're bringing warmth into the world.
A scarf, a sweater, socks or shawl
I know you can make them all.

Get your yarn, your pattern too
at the store that's best for you
Folks at the table making things
Will invite you to sit in.

Look over yarn that's out on sale
Check the dye lots do not fail
There are still three skeins in that colorway
You might need them one of these days

Chorus:

Oh, look! New Needles on the rack
Get three sets- no, take one back.
Get double points in different sizes

Sock weight, bulky, lace weight too,
and double-K I'll buy for you
Now get some patterns of pretty things

Chorus:

We've yarn in boxes, yarn in bags
Yarn wrapped up in paper tags
The stash gets larger, and we say
You will need them one of these days

Merino, romney, alpaca, blends,
On superwash the socks depend
We'll need more yarn, it seems, again
So I've had to learn to spin.

Chorus, then
All it takes is some yarn, you know
And a pair of pointed sticks

What I did differently was that I sang it as above, but had the knitters sing in First Person on the chorus ("I'm gonna make this garment grow", "I'm bringing warmth into the world", "I know I can make them all").

Enjoy the song, and let me know if you have any questions. I'll probably be doing an additional version one of these days, when I learn how to edit videos.

-Kurt​

So great Kurt. We are in half moon bay today and what is right next to our inn...knitting shop! Mel said "oh, we are hitting that". Song turned out great-told you they would go for it.
Nice to see Carrie pop in as well-we've been missing her around here :)

So great Kurt. We are in half moon bay today and what is right next to our inn...knitting shop! Mel said "oh, we are hitting that". Song turned out great-told you they would go for it.
Nice to see Carrie pop in as well-we've been missing her around here :)
Thanks, Dave.

We were just at Carrie's Husband's USN Retirement Ceremony this afternoon. It was great to see her family together! (And it is always great to see Carrie. We get together weekly for a knitting/spinning night - just have to do a little more ukin', after the surgery.)

-Kurt​

Top Bottom